Hey, You Could Be This Girl...

broken tibula

mostly sleeping
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I skipped out on band today and hung out in the school library instead, and I was talking to one of my classmates about the ACT. She'd just gotten her results back a few days ago (I think they posted the scores last week or something, right?) and here's our conversation:

"Yeah, I really meant to study for the ACT, but I kinda forgot, you know? I mean, I had the practice book and everything but I was just so busy. I was really scared that I would do really bad--but I didn't!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! I know! I mean, I didn't even study, but I did fantastic. It's amazing."

"What'd you get?"

"An 18!"

"..."

:bang:

This girl is #3 in our class. Heaven help the man...

Members don't see this ad.

I can totally understand her. I do well in classes but not on ACT.

No, she thought that her 18 was a really, really good score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell her

"GTFO and go look at the score table."

From tennisball80, future M.D

Maybe she doesnt know the scale or maybe it was enough for the college she wants to attend.

She's #3 in your class??

Or am I confused lol

No, she's #3. I go to a really horrible school.

You'd think that she'd have looked at the little percentile chart that they give you...

Wow, yeah no offense, but she sounds like a complete idiot..

Hahah but yeah, and then she would have seen she was like the 40th percentile..

Epic failure

I kind of feel sorry for her. :p But seriously, #3...wow.

Hah, that's pretty crazy. This is a good example of why so many people are frustrated about the top ten percent law in Texas (if you graduate in the top ten percent, you're automatically accepted into any public university you apply to, but not necessarily the major of your choice).

To be fair, I do know several people that don't perform well on the SAT/ACT but are still extremely intelligent (well, I think they are). I don't know if that's the case for her, though... XD

Wow, your school must really inflate grades lol. Or, maybe she skipped every other page on the exam accidentally. hah

Well, we don't have weighted grades, so our ranking system is incredibly inaccurate.

Obviously. :rolleyes:

It's funny, because back when I was in HS, I had a very similar experience. I talked with some of the kids at the top of the GPA rankings who were supposedly the "shining stars" of the school... most of them did HORRIBLE on the ACT. Now, more than half a decade later, these kids are still sucking at life, which confirms the fact that just because people think you're hot **** in high school, it doesn't correlate with success later on...:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who is popular in high school has reached their peak in life, and is only going downhill from there on out. One of my favorite philosophies.

lol
so, what did the lowest ranked person in your school get on the act?

Anyone who is popular in high school has reached their peak in life, and is only going downhill from there on out. One of my favorite philosophies.

This philosophy is in fact true if those people ascribe to it... in other words, if you can't get past how cool things were in HS, and instead of moving on you stay in your crappy little town, working the same crappy job, and attending football games every friday night because that's the shiznit, then yeah... you're going to be a loser who did "well" in HS and has no where to go but down. This doesn't have to happen, of course... My friends and I were somewhat "popular" in school, but most of us knew that life was much larger than homecoming and pep rallies...
:D

lol
so, what did the lowest ranked person in your school get on the act?

Lol. Most people in my school don't take the ACT. Probably... 15% of the class?

Which is about 13 kids.

Some of these comments are pretty negative...

No, a 18 on the ACT is not the best score but, it is definitely not a measure of her intellect.

Broken Tibula what is your rank?

*Edit: Actually this entire thread is negative in my opinion.

Last edited:
I know that 18 isn't a "mentally ******ed" kind of score--but it's not exactly what I would call fantastic. You know, five points below the national average, 33rd percentile...

I'm number ten, at last check. Last year. I also got a 33 on the ACT. So I'm a bit of an elitist, I know--sorry if I offended you.

Out of curiosity

What is a "mentally ******ed" score?

Why are you ranked 10th if you go to a "really horrible school" ? *If, horrible meaning academically disadvantaged

No I was not offended by your post.

Last edited:
You... sound a little offended. And a little belligerent.

To answer your questions, I'm not sure what a mentally ******ed score would be. It's pretty subjective, and they haven't made an IQ <-> ACT conversion chart yet. And I'm 10th in my class because I got a B in eighth grade, and a B last semester in a college calculus class (through a dual enrollment program).

To answer your questions, I'm not sure what a mentally ******ed score would be. It's pretty subjective, and they haven't made an IQ <-> ACT conversion chart yet. And I'm 10th in my class because I got a B in eighth grade, and a B last semester in a college calculus class (through a dual enrollment program).

:eek:

Why do you think I am offended?

Lol. Yeah, the idea is pretty terrifying, isn't it?

Lol. Yeah, the idea is pretty terrifying, isn't it?

No.

Ok, honestly I have worked with students who were mentally handicap it saddens me to see you (and other posters above) continually post "mentally ******ed" (or idiot etc.) So if they took the ACT/SAT and scored below a 1000 (SAT) would they fall under the "mentally ******ed" score you speak of? In addition, I have friends and family who are not mentally handicap and scored below 1000, are they "mentally ******ed"?

As an African American, I know blacks average a combined score of 980 (13 ACT). So can you classify this entire race as "mentally ******ed?"

Last edited:
My brother's mentally ******ed (literally). I'm sorry if I sadden you with my arrogance. However, I don't go online to get into drama and fight with people, so I suggest that we agree to disagree, and leave it at that--peace?

tehehehe.

Are you sure she didn't say 28? It would be a tad more believeable... that is incredibly funny though. Sometimes smart people are pretty ditzy though... I mean I consider myself to be somewhat intelligent and look at me!

Haha well you think your school is small??

I'm going to graduate in a class of 49 here in a couple months.

At least she acknowledges she should have studied. Most likely she was just unaware of the scoring scale.

I have a classmate who scored a 400 something on the SAT. Yes, the current one outta 2400.

I think the test board gives you 200 for writing your name...? :rolleyes:

... I thought it was 600...

maybe I should stop getting all of my SAT facts from Accepted.

200 on each test, 200 x 3 = 600.

We're all right! It's wonderful! :D

YAAAY!

*party time*

I don't see what's so shocking. Even a rank 1 student can literally fail the SAT/ACT without studying. They might not have the reasoning skills necessary to do well on the exams.

The shocking part isn't that she did so badly, the shocking part is that she thinks it's an amazing score.

No, she's #3. I go to a really horrible school.

You'd think that she'd have looked at the little percentile chart that they give you...

I'm assuming you are #1 then?

Nope. I'm #8 or something like that--I haven't checked it since last year...

Wow, yeah no offense, but she sounds like a complete idiot..

Hahah but yeah, and then she would have seen she was like the 40th percentile..

Epic failure
El Nino doesn't come across as offended, and certainly not belligerent. If I had to pick a word, I'd go with dissapointed. Thats prety much how I feel about a lot of people in this thread.

A test score isn't everything. Some people just don't do well on standardized exams. And frankly, she didn't do that horribly. She can still take the exam over again and probably pull off a significantly better score with preparation. If she asks, act like a decent human being and gently/tactfully point out where her score stands.

My obeservation is the ACT/SAT has historically done a lousy job predicting future success in college. Success in college (and especially medical school) is over 90% work ethic... which to me is reflected mostly in a strong GPA. I firmly believe that someone finishing with an excellent GPA but marginal ACT/SAT would do better at any college than a student with a marginal GPA but stellar ACT/SAT.

Eh, she not necessarily "******ed" (unless you have other knowledge we don't have of her being an idiot).

Just poorly, poorly, informed about the ACT scoring system.

By the way, ACT scores are not always representative of a person's intelligence. Some people are just bad and/or slow test takers. My ACT score was average, even though I know I could have done WAY better had I been more prepared.

Wow, your school must really inflate grades lol. Or, maybe she skipped every other page on the exam accidentally. hah

Now I can relate to this story and so I thought I'd reply to your post because in fact it has been my experience that the so-highly-regarded "top 10" and "top 10 percent" are pretty remarkably average on most other criteria.

I was ranked something like 500 something out of 650 or so.

When it came to the PSAT in 11th grade, I scored in the top 10%, and did better than the #2 class ranked student and actually beat most of the top 10 students by class rank.

In math competition I was 3rd in the state (22nd or 23rd overall) going into high school.

And different things like that. I was kicked out of school in my senior year because of disagreements with the administration. I took the GED got top 2% nationwide.

Later took the SAT and made in the mid 1800s. Significantly better than average, but by no means exceptional. But I guarantee you it was better than most of the "top 10" who are better impostors and con artists than anything else.

In college now, with no doubt the potential to do very well, I once again am an average student, with average motivation, and average test taking ability.

On standardized testing, I regularly score in the top 5-10% but in class work, I really don't care. I wish I did. I wish I could do better. But with such amazing courses as ARTS 1311 which stresses "principles of design with emphasis upon two-dimensional designs using a wide range of media and techniques" why should I bother?

As an African American, I know blacks average a combined score of 980 (13 ACT). So can you classify this entire race as "mentally ******ed?"

Wait... wait... Are you aksing us a question?

Now I can relate to this story and so I thought I'd reply to your post because in fact it has been my experience that the so-highly-regarded "top 10" and "top 10 percent" are pretty remarkably average on most other criteria.

I was ranked something like 500 something out of 650 or so.

When it came to the PSAT in 11th grade, I scored in the top 10%, and did better than the #2 class ranked student and actually beat most of the top 10 students by class rank.

In math competition I was 3rd in the state (22nd or 23rd overall) going into high school.

And different things like that. I was kicked out of school in my senior year because of disagreements with the administration. I took the GED got top 2% nationwide.

Later took the SAT and made in the mid 1800s. Significantly better than average, but by no means exceptional. But I guarantee you it was better than most of the "top 10" who are better impostors and con artists than anything else.

In college now, with no doubt the potential to do very well, I once again am an average student, with average motivation, and average test taking ability.

On standardized testing, I regularly score in the top 5-10% but in class work, I really don't care. I wish I did. I wish I could do better. But with such amazing courses as ARTS 1311 which stresses "principles of design with emphasis upon two-dimensional designs using a wide range of media and techniques" why should I bother?
Thats the story in a lot of places..all potential, no drive

Thats the story in a lot of places..all potential, no drive

I guess I slid by on my standardized tests for so long, I don't know what else to do. It was so easy to just ace a test and never study for it and then be able to slack off for the rest of the year. Problem in college is they look at all factors and standardized testing is all but nonexistent until you graduate.

well the deal is she might not be the smartest,but she workers harder then the others to make up for it. She tries harder then the others even though she doesn't know as much that is why her score sucks,and yet she is #3. That shows a lot about who she is.

... I thought it was 600...

maybe I should stop getting all of my SAT facts from Accepted.

Yes but the SAT docks you [a right answer is +1, a non-answer is +0, a wrong answer is -1/4?] for every wrong answer. So your base is 200+200+200. She must have just answered everything incorrectly. Heh.