HHMI course confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnoyedFloyd1210

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I was recently invited to take the "Howard Hughes Medical Institute Integrated Biology and Chemistry authentic research laboratory course" at my University. This course gives me credit for both the general chemistry and biology labs. My question is if taking this course is OK for medical school pre-reqs or will I instead have to take each lab separately?

My next question is if this counts as undergraduate research? The course states that we'll be conducting our own investigation under a faculty member and it states that we'll be writing papers and presenting posters at the end of the semester. However since this is technically a college course does it truly count as research for medical school?

I couldn't find any information and it seems that this specific course may only be offered at my university.

Any help or guidance is appreciated, this course sounds like a fantastic opportunity however I do not want to potentially jeopardize my chance at going to medical school. I may be overthinking this but any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It cant do both: be a general chemistry/bio class and a research course. Additionally, many medical schools specifically do not allow "upper level" course to replace introductory classes. I am not sure how the HHMI will be construed at some schools but you could be shooting yourself in the foot

Well that is disappointing. I understand that it doesn't count as research. This course is meant to accompany general chemistry and general biology in place of the standard labs. I wouldn't necessarily consider these upper level courses since it seems to me more of an "honors" lab based on invitation only. If what you say is the case, than that is disappointing. Of course any input is much appreciated and if there is any information that I can give that can come to a clearer conclusion, and admittedly hopefully a more favorable one, I'll be glad to give more information.

Thank you for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
will it be appearing on your transcript with that name?

This is taken directly from the email I received,

"Based on your high school performance and qualifications it is our pleasure to invite you to apply for enrollment in our Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Integrated Biology and Chemistry authentic research laboratory course (BIL153 & CHM113). "

And

"As part of this course sequence, you will enroll in BIL 150 and CHM 111 or 121 lectures in the fall. To accompany these lectures, you will be taking a special integrated lab giving you credit for both general biology lab and general chemistry lab: BIL 153 and CHM 113."

I'm not completely sure how it will come across on my transcript but I think it'll be BIL 153 and CHM 113 on my transcript. I'm an incoming freshmen so I'm not completely clear on my transcript and such and such.

I didn't put this in my previous reply but on the website for Umiami courses BIL 153 is listed as an introductory biology/chemistry lab which is different from the standard general biology lab BIL 151 which is normally taken to accompany general biology. However CHM 113 is the general lab to accompany the general principles of chemistry 1 course.

I didn't put this in my previous reply but on the website for Umiami courses BIL 153 is listed as an introductory biology/chemistry lab which is different from the standard general biology lab BIL 151 which is normally taken to accompany general biology. However CHM 113 is the general lab to accompany the general principles of chemistry 1 course.
This is taken directly from the email I received,

"Based on your high school performance and qualifications it is our pleasure to invite you to apply for enrollment in our Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Integrated Biology and Chemistry authentic research laboratory course (BIL153 & CHM113). "

And

"As part of this course sequence, you will enroll in BIL 150 and CHM 111 or 121 lectures in the fall. To accompany these lectures, you will be taking a special integrated lab giving you credit for both general biology lab and general chemistry lab: BIL 153 and CHM 113."

I'm not completely sure how it will come across on my transcript but I think it'll be BIL 153 and CHM 113 on my transcript. I'm an incoming freshmen so I'm not completely clear on my transcript and such and such.
Take the course. You will be shooting 2 birds with 1 stone.
Now, beware: I don't know how U of M does things, so there is a 50/50 chance they may mark them as CR (credit), or with a letter grade. I think you should email the coordinator to know what's up. Most hhmi sponsored programs have nice folks.

Take the course. You will be shooting 2 birds with 1 stone.
Now, beware: I don't know how U of M does things, so there is a 50/50 chance they may mark them as CR (credit), or with a letter grade. I think you should email the coordinator to know what's up. Most hhmi sponsored programs have nice folks.

That's what I was thinking and it sounds like great opportunity to partake in as a freshmen. I will certainly get in contact with the faculty I'll be working with. Thank you for the response and input.