High Correlation between ACT and MCAT Scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtanman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Student Doctors,
Do u care to reflect on your scores from your HS ACT scores or SAT scores and your MCAT scores? For examples, ACT=30 and higher Composite correlates to MCAT Scores = 30 or higher scores, this has been discussed before, however, experts research show a high probability of score comparatively although not 100%... Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 21 on the ACT(random bubbled a lot of it), 1770 on the SAT and 35 on the MCAT. I didn't study at all for the ACT or SAT and I was mostly a B student in high school. ~3.3 gpa

I think I got maybe a 26? total on the ACT. I just remember I got a 35 on the science section.

My SAT score was terrible..without writing I remember barely breaking either 1150 or 1250.

Ended up with a 31 on the MCAT.

Of course I took the ACT/SAT 100% 'cold.' I didn't even know the exact sections till I sat down for the test (and didn't take it very seriously...getting into college is pretty easy).

I studied for almost a month for the MCAT. That was a much more serious test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Student Doctors,
Do u care to reflect on your scores from your HS ACT scores or SAT scores and your MCAT scores? For examples, ACT=30 and higher Composite correlates to MCAT Scores = 30 or higher scores, this has been discussed before, however, experts research show a high probability of score comparatively although not 100%... Thank you.

If you are a good test taker, study for your exams you will do well on the SAT and MCAT. If you don't, than you wont. A lot of people grow up a lot between the SAT and the MCAT which is why low SAT scores can lead to high MCATs. I know the correlation between MCAT and USMLE Step 1 is around 60% and its probably similar for SAT and MCAT.

It's a combination of factors. With the SAT/ACT it's about taking the test cold/vs studying, how proficient you are with the subjects on the tests, and how good of a standardized test taker you are.

I'm assuming the MCAT has similar factors (haven't taken it), but rarely do you see anybody taking it cold. On the other hand, many people take the SAT/ACT cold (at least people that aren't gunning for the best score possible...more power to the people who took them cold and did extraordinarily well. I took my ACT on a hangover and did sub par, but I was apathetic).

Both tests require a fair amount of critical thinking to do well with the multiple choice. On the other hand, the English sections require a command of English in a way that is much harder to study for.

So yes, if you do well on the ACT/SAT without a MASSIVE amount of prep (knew a guy who took the SAT like every month for a year until he got almost a 2400), I would assume that you have the standardized test taking aptitude that can push you to a good grade on the MCAT. But then again, if you don't possess adequate knowledge of biology and the other sciences, as well as the skill to apply what you've learned in physics to a variety of situations, then that test taking aptitude can only get you so far.

i took the ACT without studying prior and got a 32.. i doubt i can do that on the MCAT

Dear Student Doctors,

31 ACT, <1100 SAT (the 1600 SAT) and 33 MCAT. Didn't study for ACT or SAT though (studied my ass off for MCAT).

ACT = 33, taken cold. MCAT = 37, obviously not taken cold.