High Dat/Low GPA from Harvard...need advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarvardNY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a recent Harvard graduate and I'm currently applying to dental school. I had a 3.1 GPA (I was basically a straight B student) and extremely high DAT scores (25+ all sections except 21 PAT). I was a mathematics major and took several graduate school courses as I thought I was going to be in academia instead of medicine/dentisry. I'm also a black female if that makes any difference (ie. not your average mathematics major). What do you think schools will think? Does taking rigorous course load at Harvard give me any slack for having a low GPA?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Good job, I hope you don't apply to the schools we all applied ;) jk.
Great score and Harvard graduate = getaway to Harvard easily :0 IMO

Members don't see this ad :)
African Americans are Under -represented minorities. It helps a lot.
Why do you have a 3.1? Is that after the inflation?
What about your undergrad gpa?
good luck

if that is your real dat, then wow, congrats. not sure what adcoms will think though, since your gpa is lacking. perhaps you're just a good test taker?
i'm not sure how they will look at you being a harvard alum. with your stats, i'd say you're sitting pretty with a few schools, perhaps UoP (favors high DATs).
good luck.

As a black female with 25+ DAT, you should have no trouble at Meharry and Howard.

i would say go to harvard, you should be a shoe in at most schools no?

where are you applying???

Hey guys. I'm a recent Harvard graduate and I'm currently applying to dental school. I had a 3.1 GPA (I was basically a straight B student) and extremely high DAT scores (25+ all sections except 21 PAT). I was a mathematics major and took several graduate school courses as I thought I was going to be in academia instead of medicine/dentisry. I'm also a black female if that makes any difference (ie. not your average mathematics major). What do you think schools will think? Does taking rigorous course load at Harvard give me any slack for having a low GPA?

Thanks for any advice!

What is your definition/description of the average math major? Just curious to see it the reverse stereotypical, inflammatory description shall be given.

are you serious?:eek: you will definitely get accepted to every school you apply to. we shouldn't even be having this discussion.

you have nothing to worry about. I think with DAT like that you could get in to just about any dental school straight out of high school with a GED.

you have nothing to worry about. I think with DAT like that you could get in to just about any dental school straight out of high school with a GED.

hahaha, funny... and probably true! those are EXCELLENT scores, even that 21 isn't too shabby :D in my opinion, with the information you provided... you should get in almost everywhere you apply granted your interviews go smoothly.

Members don't see this ad :)
African Americans are Under -represented minorities. It helps a lot.
Why do you have a 3.1? Is that after the inflation?
What about your undergrad gpa?
good luck

Well, I was pretty much a straight B student. 3.1 IS my undergrad GPA which is why I'm concerned. I took mostly upper level and graduate school math courses while I was there and my schedule was pretty rigorous. I took all the pre-med/dental requirements as my electives =/ Basically, I spent the past 4 years doing nothing but problem sets haha. I challenged myself instead of taking easy classes to inflate my GPA (I know someone who took 5 yes 5 introductory language courses to boost her GPA). Looking back on it, that might have not been the greatest idea.

i would say go to harvard, you should be a shoe in at most schools no?

where are you applying???

I'm trying to stay in the NY area so definitely NYU, Columbia, Stonybrook, SUNY Buffalo, and UMDNJ are on my list. I didn't have a great experience at Harvard and I hated Boston so I won't be applying to Harvard.

What is your definition/description of the average math major? Just curious to see it the reverse stereotypical, inflammatory description shall be given.

Well, considering math majors make up about 1% of the total undergraduate population and blacks make up 7% of the total mathematics undergraduate population, and less than 50% of black mathematics majors are female.... Additionally, I'm one of 3 black people TOTAL to graduate from Harvard with a degree in mathematics in the past 8 years. I'd think it's fair to say I'm not your average math major =P

hey well i guess i will hopefully see you at columbia next yr if i can get in:oops:

That isn't the inflation I was talking abut. I mean doesn't your school manually raise your gpa after you take a class?

No matter what don't apply to University of Pacific or USC

Just curious.. why? is it something I do not know about those schools? Can you give me some little more hints not to apply !! Thanks in advance.:)

because she will be admitted most likely and the poster feels it will decrease his chances..but c'mon its just one person, i doubt it will make a difference

That isn't the inflation I was talking abut. I mean doesn't your school manually raise your gpa after you take a class?

Lemme put this rumor to rest, THERE IS NO GRADE INFLATION AT HARVARD!! I've never heard of anyone getting their GPA manually raised. I know that the majority of math/science courses don't inflate grades, including the pre-med courses that people take. Most math/science professors don't really curve grades either. I know that they do curve courses like the introductory Economics course, but that's because they make the tests so hard that the average grade is a 40%. This is just from my experiences though.

If a professor does curve a course, the median is normally around a B/B+. However, that's because the average grade of the class is probably around a B/B+. It's a pretty much a "you get what you earn (numerically)" system. If professors followed a standard bell curve, there would be wayyyyyy more tears.

Lemme put this rumor to rest, THERE IS NO GRADE INFLATION AT HARVARD!! I've never heard of anyone getting their GPA manually raised. I know that the majority of math/science courses don't inflate grades, including the pre-med courses that people take. Most math/science professors don't really curve grades either. I know that they do curve courses like the introductory Economics course, but that's because they make the tests so hard that the average grade is a 40%. This is just from my experiences though.

If a professor does curve a course, the median is normally around a B/B+. However, that's because the average grade of the class is probably around a B/B+. It's a pretty much a "you get what you earn (numerically)" system. If professors followed a standard bell curve, there would be wayyyyyy more tears.

Take it easy, just asking...the 40% average doesn't mean anything if the class is curved: it could be a 2% average and it wouldn't matter if the class was curved.
B/B+ is ridiculously high...You are obviously a smart person so I don't mean any offense (proven by your DAT), but most schools have C+/B- curves so Harvard undergrads do have a huge advantage.
how long did you study for the DAT? Did you take classes that covered DAT sections?

i think harvard B is probably harder to achieve than your A
so i dont think Harvard having B/B+ curve is much advantage..

congrats to OP and just apply now so you'll get your interview soon

i think harvard B is probably harder to achieve than your A
so i dont think Harvard having B/B+ curve is much advantage..

congrats to OP and just apply now so you'll get your interview soon

OP is obviously smart, but I have friends in Harvard. They are stupid and don't study (got in by legacies).
My school is probably harder.

OP is obviously smart, but I have friends in Harvard. They are stupid and don't study (got in by legacies).
My school is probably harder.

I have a question. I have a high DAT but a low GPA also. Lower than 3.0.
Will I get in based on my DAT score and extracurriculars?

I have a question. I have a high DAT but a low GPA also. Lower than 3.0.
Will I get in based on my DAT score and extracurriculars?

Depends how high your DAT is and depends on how low your gpa is. It also depends on which schools you applied to and how the rest of your application looks.

There is no grade inflation in the math department at Harvard. Math 55 at Harvard is arguably one of the most difficult math courses in the world. Graduating with a degree in Math at Harvard with a 3.1 is an amazing accomplishment. You'll get in everywhere.

What r u guys talking about :D? First,there will not be any curve to any GPAs.3.1 at Harvard is equal to 3.1 at any community college or any ABET accredited college. Second, people are overdoing Harvard which is funny too. Harvard is one of the best schools (especially Med and Dent schools), but I cannot say the same for other science majors. Especially engineering programs are not in top 30. Harvard is not an MIT or Caltech(especially this is the real science university). Again I am not saying Harvard is a bad university(so many people are thinking that Harvard is the best university in every category which is very ridiculous). Thirdly HarvardNY can u scan and post ur score sheet here? Let's see ur percentages(it looks little bit unrealistic to me).If it is, u r the outlier of the candidate pool. Finally why did u choose Math as an undergrad, if u want to go to Dent. School? Were u doing a double major?

Thanks for any advice!

Hmm i'm really curious what ended up happening to this person? I wonder if going to an ivy really has gives an edge

Even if it didn't, I bet the URM status and 25 DAT did.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'd bet that any effect that the ivy undergrad thing had to do with her application paled in comparison to the fact that she is a URM and has a 25 DAT.