High GPA -> Apply Early with Low MCAT ? or wait

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm sure this question has been asked a lot of times and I apologize for repeating it. I'm currently studying for the MCAT to take it at the end of May and hoping to apply this year.

I'm a Canadian resident and my cGPA is 4.0/4.0. I'm sure by May 31st, I can score somewhere around 29-30 (with like a 7 or 8 in verbal ) on my MCAT. However, if I wait until August, I can probably bring it up to ~34 (with like a 8 or 9 in verbal)

Should I apply early with a low MCAT or should I post pone (don't even bother to write it, focus on personal statement etc) and apply in August?

Thanks a lot for your time

Members don't see this ad.

Wait a year and you will have more options, even in Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should get an interview for U of Ottawa. They don't really care about the MCAT and your GPA is higher than their cut off (around 3.9)

You should get an interview for U of Ottawa. They don't really care about the MCAT and your GPA is higher than their cut off (around 3.9)

my biggest problem is my low course load - I can't apply to Ottawa for that reason (can apply to mcmaster + queens but they need a 10+ VR, hence I'm only considering US). Yes, GPA is 3.97/4.0 according to OMSAS.

What is your suggestion in this case?

Thanks again

my biggest problem is my low course load - I can't apply to Ottawa for that reason (can apply to mcmaster + queens but they need a 10+ VR, hence I'm only considering US). Yes, GPA is 3.97/4.0 according to OMSAS.

What is your suggestion in this case?

Thanks again

I'm also a Canadian premed; it is hard to make suggestions in your case since you haven't taken a full course load. If you spend a year improving your ECs and MCAT, you'll have a good shot at queens and mac, and will have more options in the United States. I'd try to stay in Canada if possible - significantly cheaper. It will probably cost 2-2.5x as much in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
My professor has a cousin from Canada who got a 31 on her MCAT and did not get in. I am not trying to scare or discourage you in any way. It is possible there were other major issues involved or that she did not apply broadly enough.

My professor has a cousin from Canada who got a 31 on her MCAT and did not get in. I am not trying to scare or discourage you in any way. It is possible there were other major issues involved or that she did not apply broadly enough.

thanks a lot. what is the avg mcat for the entering class every year, a 31-32? so yeah that shouldn't be surprising ....

Would you say a 30 early can be worst than a 34 but submitting in August?

30 early would probably be better than a 34 submitting in august. Verification took 6-8 weeks this year for most people, so submitting August 1st you wouldn't be complete until mid September at the earliest most likely.

With that said, why the rush to get in this next cycle? You could take your time and live life a bit before the whole process starts. And you'll be in a stronger position if you take your time.

Reactions: 1 user
30 early would probably be better than a 34 submitting in august. Verification took 6-8 weeks this year for most people, so submitting August 1st you wouldn't be complete until mid September at the earliest most likely.

With that said, why the rush to get in this next cycle? You could take your time and live life a bit before the whole process starts. And you'll be in a stronger position if you take your time.

Thanks !

Well not that I am expecting to get accepted though, I thought it's just better to at least do a "dry-round" this year than to do nothing

what if I submit primaries in June and just say that I am taking the MCAT in august or late july, would that make a difference? I'm sure taking it in late july would increase my score, but if I submit primaries on time, would it hurt my chances still?

what if I submit primaries in June and just say that I am taking the MCAT in august or late july, would that make a difference? I'm sure taking it in late july would increase my score, but if I submit primaries on time, would it hurt my chances still?

Yes it would still hurt your chances. They will not look at your app until the score is in, so it would still be delayed some. You definitely don't need to apply this year if you don't plan on getting in, reapplicants are not looked upon very favorably. Taking time off and doing something related to medicine but different and/or fun shows maturity and will give you more life experience. The 2 years I took off made a HUGE difference in my maturity and who I am.