High GPA, Low DAT score School suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonghyunie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

I'm currently doing my application for dental school. I know I'm already sort of late in the application cycle since its already almost August.
Anyways I need help deciding which dental schools would be a good shot for me and which schools may be some realistic reach schools.

I totally bombed the chemistry portions of the DAT which brought my score wayyyyy down. I've heard of people with mid/low GPA's and high DAT's getting into dental schools no problem but I haven't heard so much about the other way around.

AA19 TS16 PAT24
GPA: 3.76

I have ~ 300 hours of shadowing general dentist/ oral surgeon.

I live in South Carolina so I figured MUSC would be my best shot. But I want to add another 4 or 5 more schools (some being reach schools and some being a bit easier or more realistic to get into). Are there any schools that emphasize GPA more than DAT? Or maybe some schools that don't look too deep into the DAT and really only look at AA and PAT?

Any advice or school suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: i should have mentioned that I'm registered to retake the DAT September 20th. I know that's pretty late in the cycle but would it be alright to go ahead and send in my application and then update my app after I retake the DAT? I know most schools have a rolling application so the earlier you apply the better chance you have.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
TS 16 is way too low to waste money on this cycle imo, despite your good gpa. I think you should retake after finding time to better dedicate yourself to the DAT? You've done well in school so I see no reason you should do badly in the DAT second time around.

don't apply most of school want the lowest school to be 18 but your TS is 16 you will wast your money if you apply

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do insist on applying this cycle, you'll need to apply to a lot more than 5 schools. If you put out 15+ applications, and retake this cycle to fix your TS, then you should have a shot. Getting schools to consider you with your current TS will be a tough sell, if I had to guess.

You could get post December interviews if you do a retake and notify about 15+ schools, the TS is way to low to warrant an acceptances...17 is minimum

You could get post December interviews if you do a retake and notify about 15+ schools, the TS is way to low to warrant an acceptances...17 is minimum
TS 16 is way too low to waste money on this cycle imo, despite your good gpa. I think you should retake after finding time to better dedicate yourself to the DAT? You've done well in school so I see no reason you should do badly in the DAT second time around.
I'm scheduled to retake the DAT sept 20th. does that give me enough time to apply early enough and get a chance at this cycle granted that I do much better in the TS?

Yea sept 20 is fine, you can forward the unofficial report on the day of your test!

if you go to USC i would advice to take it on september 20 afford another year for USC is freaking expensive