High GPA/ Low MCAT:(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bambam92

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I made a thread about this a few months ago. But just wanted some fresh input as I am about to make a big decision as to whether to sign up for a MCAT prep class or not. I am graduating in May, have a 3.9 GPA and science--but I only got a 28 on the MCAT. I was averaging 30-33 on the last 6 practice tests --so I was crushed by this score. The breakdown was 9PS/10VR/9BS. In recollect I should have waited until this spring/summer to take as I didn't have orgo 2 or biochem--and rushed to avoid 2015 MCAT. Big mistake on my part I now feel, but what is done is done. And I would have been happy if I scored what I was getting on the practice tests, but that didn't happen. Yikes. I am applying in June, going through school committee now.

I am at a cross road where I must decide now if I will register for an MCAT prep class and take in late June. I would submit my app to one school on June 1st so it got verified and my scores would be released at the end of July if I retook. Is this bad, too late? I already have a gap year as I graduate in May, thus I am really off put by the idea of taking another year off to wait and apply until next year --as that will be two years of me just working part time dead end jobs (blah) and volunteering (which is cool). I guess I am asking for some serious input from you guys on what you would do if you were me. I was hoping to go MD as I have never shadowed DO's--and feel it is wrong of me to apply to DO just cause my MCAT is crap as I haven't even taken time to shadow them. Not that I wouldn't shadow them--just haven't had opportunity to shadow DO unfortunately. I have what I consider significant ec's and a good story--but realize this will only get me so far with this MCAT hanging over me.
My ec's /experiences:
-1 year biochem research
-1 year research at ivy --with strong letter from PI who is well known throughout country
-face aids treasurer
-habitat for humanity volunteer
-pre-med group treasurer
-starting exercise testing/prescription program at free clinic in impoverished urban area 2 years ago and still am active with it today. Patients come to see me for an exercise prescription from the clinic based on what I perceive their fitness level. I really love doing this. Have probably 200 hours of clinical experience at this clinic running my program and just volunteering over the past 2 years. This is relevant as I am exercise science/bio double major.
-shadowed neurologist at level 1 trauma in neurocritical care -50 hours
-shadowed EM doc at level 1 trauma center-50 hours
-so yeah to reiterate 3.9 gap's but 28 MCAT. 9ps/10VR/9BS

I am a white male as I am sure this matters. However, I have extensive volunteering in underserved areas and populations and would like to continue this somehow as a physician. I am drawn to this as I have grown up in an impoverished household. So poor I basically go to school for free, with grants and financial aid. I was raised by a single mom with bipolar type I. She has been hospitalized about 15 times over my childhood. This was tough, but I grew to actually like the hospital and going to visit her (kinda weird ik). I am a first generation college student. Anyways I would appreciate any guidance you guys can give me with my situation as to retake the MCAT or not. The first time I tried to prep on my own with no class, and realize now I probably spend too much time on content review and not enough doing passages. But what if my MCAT with the new test doesnt even change negligibly or somehow gets worse? I am scared of this as there is no real good prep for this test and AAMC is only releasing 1 test for the 2015 exam. Yikes. Table 25 of AAMC says I have 61% chance of admission with my GPA and MCAT; however, I feel that is inflated by people with state schools like texas and florida. I have no state school. Thanks guys for all input and your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
bumppp I really need advice guys! P

Members don't see this ad :)

Temple
Thomas Jeff
Drexel
NYMC
Albany
UVM
FAU(have aunt who is faculty there-not my state of residency)
Rush (LOR from doc who attended there)
UIC
GW
Georgetown?
Brown(probably no shot..but have connections to school so only reason I will try)
Quinnipiac
Albany
Commonwealth
Penn state
oakland
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton

Anything else you can think of that I would have shot at? I was planning to apply to 25 schools so have room for four more. Thanks!

I definitely would throw in some DO schools as well.

Brown is for non-trads. They admit like 1 traditional applicant each year who isn't one of their own undergrads. Taking a gap year is unlikely to make them consider you a non-trad unless you used that gap year to win an Emmy or something. You may want to replace them with MCW or Hofstra.

What's your state of residency?

I recommend:

TCMC
Quinnipiac
all other new MD schools except Central MI, Va Tech and Hofstra
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Drexel
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Wake Forest
Rush
Your state school(s).
Any DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend:

TCMC
Quinnipiac
all other new MD schools except Central MI, Va Tech and Hofstra
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Drexel
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Wake Forest
Rush
Your state school(s).
Any DO school.

I'm curious why you recommended SLU since MSAR has their average MCAT at a 32?