High GPA / low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AustraliaIn06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just graduated this year from a US uni with a 3.72 GPA. My MCAT, though, is a 26Q (9 BS, 9 VR, 8 PS). I've been reading this board and it looks like the average MCAT for acceptance is close to the US average of 30. Is that true? Any recommendations for grad-entry Australian schools to apply to? Also, I've got great ECs, but it doesn't seem to be much of a factor in Australian admissions.

BTW I'm an American citizen who would be applying as an international.

Members don't see this ad.

Although below the ave for MCAT, you will prob get in if not due to your high gpa so long as you do well in interview (you make the cutoffs for interviews). At UQ, your gpa only counts to get an interview (then they weigh mcat + interview), same at USyd though your interview will then alone become the decider, and at Flinders, they'll weigh all three factors equally (thus your gpa will pull you up the most there). Not sure about the other grad schools, though Melbourne may be a little tougher for mcat.

Nothing else helps much to get in -- research, LORs, ECs, etc. -- except you'll be able to sound more mature and desirable in the interviews.