Other OT-Related Information high GRE score= merit award?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calling4color

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if OT programs give scholarship/ merit awards for those who have a high GRE score. Has anyone received merit because of having a high GRE? If you did, please feel free to list your GRE score along with your GPA/ or anything else you think helped you earn the award. I am a senior and will be applying to OT school for FALL 2016 and have yet to take the GRE.

I appreciate your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I, personally, am unfamiliar with GRE-based scholarships. Everything I hear and understand is basically to the opposite. Many OT programs don't require a GRE for admissions and many programs are beginning to consider the test as just a formality since OT programs are at the graduate level and don't factor the scores too heavily in the decision. Again, I can't speak for all programs but that is, from my understanding, the current trend with the GRE for OT programs.

I wish you the best of luck as you take the test and with your applications!

Reactions: 1 user
I disagree with the Hebrews11... the GRE for the schools that I applied was not at all a formality!! It was definitely a vital part of the application... some school only looked at the GPA and GRE scores to rank applicants and decided based on those two things alone which applicants to look at further. But to answer your question, I have never heard of any OT schools giving our merit scholarships based on GRE scores. Majority schools don't even give out merit scholarships, just loans for financial aid (please keep in mind that I have only looked into schools on the east coast, Chicago, Texas, and Seattle areas). There are scholarships for second year OT students but it's from the national organization not your school... and you have to apply for them.

Hope this helps. And keep in mind all schools vary, but the likelihood that schools give out merit scholarships are very slim.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if OT programs give scholarship/ merit awards for those who have a high GRE score. Has anyone received merit because of having a high GRE? If you did, please feel free to list your GRE score along with your GPA/ or anything else you think helped you earn the award. I am a senior and will be applying to OT school for FALL 2016 and have yet to take the GRE.

I appreciate your responses.