High Passes only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are all High Passes (at a top 20) bad? Obviously honors is better, but how are straight high passes viewed as?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I should probably elaborate...I realize the whole application is important but I think a better question for me to ask is how important is the distinction between honors and high pass from derm residency application committee...unfortunately grades in 3rd year are partly subjective so I just want to understand how residency programs make light of this

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I should probably elaborate...I realize the whole application is important but I think a better question for me to ask is how important is the distinction between honors and high pass from derm residency application committee...unfortunately grades in 3rd year are partly subjective so I just want to understand how residency programs make light of this

...if YOU were selecting applicants based on what you just told us, how do you think you would react...?

I wouldn't want robot pure-merit based physicians and perhaps value the home and away rotations in derm much more

Are all High Passes (at a top 20) bad? Obviously honors is better, but how are straight high passes viewed as?

It's not optimal, I would work hard to secure as many honors as possible. My program has historically placed a lot of value on a high Step 1 but I've heard of plenty programs that place large emphasis on your clinical grades as they provide some insight on your clinical acumen

Of course, try to do the best you can in all you do (rhetorical statement award level sentence there, I know)... The grades, STEPs, pubs, and your personal and rec letters will help get you in the door. Connections made at an away rotation can substantially help as well here.

With that said, at the interview be able to explain "Why Derm?" in brief. Know how to sell yourself (I highly recommend the relevant portions of the book "60 Seconds and You're Hired"). What makes you relatively unique to the field, within reason? This is something I would not ignore. But there is a balancing act to play here, as you have yet to fully experience Dermatology residency first hand (i.e. you may have an idea of what you might specialize in within our specialty, but be open). I still maintain some of my pre-residency interests. However, I now have others I would have never thought of now that I am on the other side of the fence, being finished and all.

Transformers, I am happy to see you have hung onto your interest in Dermatology. Good luck buddy!