High School Dual Credit Grade - am I done for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shya

C/O 2022 and tired
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time posting here ever so I apologize if it's been asked before.

I'm a sophomore in college and right now my GPA is a 3.48. My pre-vet advisor says I have a good chance at getting into Auburn because my state buys seats at their school and my GPA isn't terrible.

HOWEVER, I have come to the sudden realization that I took two dual credit courses in my second year of high school and got a C in both. It was AP American History and I despise history. While I graduated high school with a 4.02 (took a lot of college courses senior year and high school weighted them different), I fear for the GPA that the vet schools will see.

Are these two C's going to ruin me considering I don't have a particularly competitive GPA right now?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a sophomore in college and right now my GPA is a 3.48. My pre-vet advisor says I have a good chance at getting into Auburn because my state buys seats at their school and my GPA isn't terrible.

HOWEVER, I have come to the sudden realization that I took two dual credit courses in my second year of high school and got a C in both. It was AP American History and I despise history. While I graduated high school with a 4.02 (took a lot of college courses senior year and high school weighted them different), I fear for the GPA that the vet schools will see.

Are these two C's going to ruin me considering I don't have a particularly competitive GPA right now?
Nope, 2 C's will be fine. What does it bring you down to? You also have junior and senior year left. I had a few Cs and my cumulative GPA was a 3.4. Do well in your science classes, so you have a high science GPA and do well in your remaining years so you have a high last 45 credit GPA. Yes, this question about Cs has been asked before, you may use the search function in the upper right corner to find answers to your other questions or post on existing threads.

Thank you for the reassurance!

I went through my transcripts from every college I went to and used a GPA calculator. It took me to a 3.42. Admittedly, when I posted this I had forgotten about the A's I earned my senior year so I didn't factor them in at all and only did my cumulative and the two c's and it was a 2.93, hence my freak out.

And thank you about the search bar! I saw the similar threads but none were for pre-vet and I didn't even notice the search bar.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wait they were AP classes? AP classes transfer as credit if you pass, but the grade you got in the class won't factor towards your college GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
Wait they were AP classes? AP classes transfer as credit if you pass, but the grade you got in the class won't factor towards your college GPA.
No, they were dual credit. I didn't take an AP test. A professor from the college came to our high school and taught it in a class room and on my transcript from the college has them on it with them factored into my GPA from that college.

I'm afraid I don't understand AP vs. Dual Credit, so I'm not sure what would be more beneficial (if they transferred as a grade vs. a credit) but I do know that Auburn said if they're on my transcript, they'll transfer.

No, they were dual credit. I didn't take an AP test. A professor from the college came to our high school and taught it in a class room and on my transcript from the college has them on it with them factored into my GPA from that college.

I'm afraid I don't understand AP vs. Dual Credit, so I'm not sure what would be more beneficial (if they transferred as a grade vs. a credit) but I do know that Auburn said if they're on my transcript, they'll transfer.
Not that it matters for you now, but just for fun: It depends on how well you scored. Either way, you're getting college credit (if you score high enough in APs). If you get a 4.0 in the dual credit course, that boosts your GPA. If you get a 2.5, it would start you off at a low GPA (although 2 classes with a C is like a drop in the bucket when you consider that you graduate with like...120 credits or something like that). You'd probably get above a 3.0 your very first semester if you did well in your first classes.

If you get a 5/5 on an AP exam, it doesn't effect your GPA, but you still get college credits. You could also get a 3/5 (I think that's the lowest test score you can get in an AP class and still get college credit, if I remember correctly), still get credit (maybe not the max amount, it depends on the school), and it wouldn't affect your GPA, no matter the score.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have taken bio at my undergrad instead of AP bio so I could have had a science GPA boost from that (assuming I did well in the classes). It was way cheaper to do it in high school (even considering my Catholic school tuition), but I wasn't really thinking about how much of a 'game' grad school apps can be sometimes. In my situation, I got a 5/5 on AP Bio/English lit/Euro. I got so many classes waived (especially gen eds), but vet schools wouldn't have known the difference if I got a 3/5 since your undergrad transcript won't list your actual AP test scores. The only difference would probably have been how many gen eds I got waived, and therefore how many more I had to take in undergrad which would have had an effect on my cGPA. Either way, my school didn't allow us to take dual credit courses, so I didn't really have options. I did have friends that were taking night/weekend courses at the local CC for actual college credit/grades during our senior year, though.

I never did get a straight answer from any vet schools regarding if, when they look at your various GPAs, they take the transferred AP credits into account when calculating a cGPA. It wouldn't make sense to do that, but I'm pretty sure my undergrad did it that way because when I calculated my own GPAs, I had to count those AP credits to get the GPA they had for me. I don't think any of the schools I applied to quite understood what I was asking tbh.

Sorry for the novel, I have finals this week and am procrastinating :p

Last edited: