High school experience for Vet Apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HurricaneKatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just asking on behalf of a friend. I know vet school and med school are Very similar in the overall requirements and application process, but obviousnly not identical. For pre-med we were Always told high school doesn't count. I assumed the same was true for vet school. My friend however did a ton of volunteering in high hschool (at the zoo and vet clinics). Is this going to be able to count towards her application? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys just asking on behalf of a friend. I know vet school and med school are Very similar in the overall requirements and application process, but obviousnly not identical. For pre-med we were Always told high school doesn't count. I assumed the same was true for vet school. My friend however did a ton of volunteering in high hschool (at the zoo and vet clinics). Is this going to be able to count towards her application? :confused:

Yes. And HS volunteering definitely counts. The application includes areas for HS activities, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh! That is so unfair! rofl Not cool. :p I did cool stuff in high school. haha Thanks for the fast replies guys! :)

Unfair? The average vet student applicant has 1,000+ hours of veterinary experience, with however much (separate) animal experience tossed in. I had closer to 5k hours... some on here approach 10k.

So, nyeh. :hungover:

ETA: Oh, I see you meant for your high school hours counting. Well, I dunno what to tell you about that - you'd have to take it up with med schools. :)

If it makes you feel better, the hours I put on my application must have been done in the last 5 years. I already lost 50 hours because it was done in highschool. Next year, I will lose 200.