High School Future Planning Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patrick121916

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section as there are so many I want sure where would be suitable.

I am a high school student in Australia and will be competing in the Australian Brain Bee Challenge National Finals. I want to get an idea early so I can prepare or stop having crazy dreams.

I have been enjoying neuroscience so far, specifically the diseases and systems. Please excuse me but I am only young and have a want for a high paying job.

I value my sport and like to have spare time but understand that I will not be able to play while I am at uni.

I am not interested in research science as I want to achieve something in the short term and when I visited the research centre I found the job rather boring.

My mum is a nurse in ICU and says neurosurgeons are horrible people and doesn't want me to be one as well but I want to make a difference.

I have read through the thread which looks at the lifestyle of a neurosurgeon which scared me but that was back in 2003-2007 and was mostly based around America.

I have a few questions which I am hoping you can answer preferably relevant to Australian conditions.
Do neurosurgeons get holidays? Are the work hours really that long (6am-10pm)? Do the hours ever decrease? What is the pay like when you first leave uni? Would you recomend a different job/field? Will I turn out a grumpy person when I become a neurosurgeon? Has neurosurgery changed since 2003/different in Australia?

Thanks a lot for your help. I am really stuck.

Members don't see this ad.