High school Grades for Pre-Pharmacy Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dramaQueen16

Live & Laugh ♥
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm interested in doing Pharmacy at UBC (1-2 years UBC Okanogan Pre-Pharmacy and then 4 years UBC Vancouver Pharmacy :xf:) and since I'm still in highschool I was wondering if anyone who was accepted to Pre-Pharm programs, preferably in UBC, remembered the marks (letter grade and/or percent) they got?

Mainly in the following courses.. (these are the ones I'm taking/have taken)

Chem 11
Bio 11
Math 11 (Principles)
Physics 11
Chem 12
Bio 12
Math 12 (Principles)

I'm also taking/have taken..
French 10
French 11
History 12
+ the mandatory ones such as English 11/12, Socials 11 etc. and a handful of electives (photography and such).

Thanks in advance.. I just really want an idea if I have a shot at this career or not! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi =)
I am actually going into UBC Okanagan Pre-Pharmacy Program this september which is 2010/2011.
I have been accepted the previous year, but I am taking year off now.

I thought getting into pre-pharmacy wasn't that tough.
I think Univeristy Studies is the real deal:scared:

Anyway, my marks were

Chem 11 - 87%
Bio 11 - 88%
Math 11 (Principles) - 84%
Physics 11 - 75%
Chem 12 - 94%
Bio 12 - 86%
Math 12 (Principles) - 97%

French 10 - 93%
French 11 - 90%
History 12 - N/A

English12 - 86%
Social Studies11 - 90%

I had other courses like

AP Calculus - 94%
Physics 12 - 78% :(
Concert Band 12 - 98%
ESL 12 - 99%

So for UBC admission, they will look at four courses(average) which are,
English12, Science12(Chem,Bio,Phy.. etc), Math12, one other course with provincial exam.

For myself, I had English 12, Chemistry12, Math 12, and AP Calculus.
(You can use AP Calculus for admission average)

When u apply and submit mark for self-admission, they will autumatically pick the right ones with the highest mark.

My admission average was about 93%.

I hope it helped.

You actually have same career plan as me!!!
When are you going to UBC okanagan?:)

i didn't realize Pre-Pharm programs needed something different... unless its a dedicated pre-pharmacy school or something, because if you are good enough for college, you are good enough for pre-pharmacy, its just classes, there is no degree for prereqs

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi =)
I am actually going into UBC Okanagan Pre-Pharmacy Program this september which is 2010/2011.
I have been accepted the previous year, but I am taking year off now.

I thought getting into pre-pharmacy wasn't that tough.
I think Univeristy Studies is the real deal:scared:

Anyway, my marks were

Chem 11 - 87%
Bio 11 - 88%
Math 11 (Principles) - 84%
Physics 11 - 75%
Chem 12 - 94%
Bio 12 - 86%
Math 12 (Principles) - 97%

French 10 - 93%
French 11 - 90%
History 12 - N/A

English12 - 86%
Social Studies11 - 90%

I had other courses like

AP Calculus - 94%
Physics 12 - 78% :(
Concert Band 12 - 98%
ESL 12 - 99%

So for UBC admission, they will look at four courses(average) which are,
English12, Science12(Chem,Bio,Phy.. etc), Math12, one other course with provincial exam.

For myself, I had English 12, Chemistry12, Math 12, and AP Calculus.
(You can use AP Calculus for admission average)

When u apply and submit mark for self-admission, they will autumatically pick the right ones with the highest mark.

My admission average was about 93%.

I hope it helped.

You actually have same career plan as me!!!
When are you going to UBC okanagan?:)

:eek: Oh wow! You have awesome grades. I hope you're an example of a exceptional student or else I feel hopeless! :p Math is definitely not my strongest point so I hope B's will cut it (Your Math 12 mark is amazing) Also, I don't have the option of AP courses as my school is small and does not offer them, so I hope that's not too big of a deal!

That's great - Good luck with Pharmacy! I'm thinking of attending straight out of high school so September of 2011. Either UBC Okanogan or SFU in Surrey. :)

Getting into a "pre-pharmacy" program won't help you enter the BSPharm at ubc any more than just completing the pre-requisites. Don't worry too much about getting straight A's in highschool, I know plenty of people that completely tanked in first semester university even after having over 86% highschool averages. Some people, did well in university even after having poor highschool grades. One thing i would do if i were you is take physics 12, I know it is not a pre-req for the university physics you have to take, but it is very helpful. University studying is just a bit different from highschool, you have to get used to it and learn how to study. If I were you, I would do the pre-requisites over two years and take it easy but try very hard. This way you can get volunteer experience aswell. Also, heads up for university calculus :scared:. Goodluck.

Getting into a "pre-pharmacy" program won't help you enter the BSPharm at ubc any more than just completing the pre-requisites. Don't worry too much about getting straight A's in highschool, I know plenty of people that completely tanked in first semester university even after having over 86% highschool averages. Some people, did well in university even after having poor highschool grades. One thing i would do if i were you is take physics 12, I know it is not a pre-req for the university physics you have to take, but it is very helpful. University studying is just a bit different from highschool, you have to get used to it and learn how to study. If I were you, I would do the pre-requisites over two years and take it easy but try very hard. This way you can get volunteer experience aswell. Also, heads up for university calculus :scared:. Goodluck.

Okay, thanks! That's good to hear because I guess I could just live with my parents in Surrey and attend SFU to get all of my pre-requisites. I'll definitely look into doing Physics 12, maybe even in the summer or something. Calculus is something I'm extremely worried about! :( Thanks for all the information though - it was really helpful!