Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

High school Grades for Pre-Pharmacy Acceptance?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by dramaQueen16, 10.08.09.

1. Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. dramaQueen16

dramaQueen16 Live & Laugh ♥

Pre-Pharmacy
    hSDN Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    So I'm interested in doing Pharmacy at UBC (1-2 years UBC Okanogan Pre-Pharmacy and then 4 years UBC Vancouver Pharmacy :xf:) and since I'm still in highschool I was wondering if anyone who was accepted to Pre-Pharm programs, preferably in UBC, remembered the marks (letter grade and/or percent) they got?

Mainly in the following courses.. (these are the ones I'm taking/have taken)

Chem 11
    Bio 11
    Math 11 (Principles)
    Physics 11
    Chem 12
    Bio 12
    Math 12 (Principles)

I'm also taking/have taken..
    French 10
    French 11
    History 12
    + the mandatory ones such as English 11/12, Socials 11 etc. and a handful of electives (photography and such).

Thanks in advance.. I just really want an idea if I have a shot at this career or not! :)
  2. Chilliwacker

Chilliwacker

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi =)
    I am actually going into UBC Okanagan Pre-Pharmacy Program this september which is 2010/2011.
    I have been accepted the previous year, but I am taking year off now.

I thought getting into pre-pharmacy wasn't that tough.
    I think Univeristy Studies is the real deal:scared:

Anyway, my marks were

Chem 11 - 87%
    Bio 11 - 88%
    Math 11 (Principles) - 84%
    Physics 11 - 75%
    Chem 12 - 94%
    Bio 12 - 86%
    Math 12 (Principles) - 97%

French 10 - 93%
    French 11 - 90%
    History 12 - N/A

English12 - 86%
    Social Studies11 - 90%

I had other courses like

AP Calculus - 94%
    Physics 12 - 78% :(
    Concert Band 12 - 98%
    ESL 12 - 99%

So for UBC admission, they will look at four courses(average) which are,
    English12, Science12(Chem,Bio,Phy.. etc), Math12, one other course with provincial exam.

For myself, I had English 12, Chemistry12, Math 12, and AP Calculus.
    (You can use AP Calculus for admission average)

When u apply and submit mark for self-admission, they will autumatically pick the right ones with the highest mark.

My admission average was about 93%.

I hope it helped.

You actually have same career plan as me!!!
    When are you going to UBC okanagan?:)
  3. holymolys

holymolys

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i didn't realize Pre-Pharm programs needed something different... unless its a dedicated pre-pharmacy school or something, because if you are good enough for college, you are good enough for pre-pharmacy, its just classes, there is no degree for prereqs
  4. dramaQueen16

Pre-Pharmacy
    hSDN Member
    :eek: Oh wow! You have awesome grades. I hope you're an example of a exceptional student or else I feel hopeless! :p Math is definitely not my strongest point so I hope B's will cut it (Your Math 12 mark is amazing) Also, I don't have the option of AP courses as my school is small and does not offer them, so I hope that's not too big of a deal!

That's great - Good luck with Pharmacy! I'm thinking of attending straight out of high school so September of 2011. Either UBC Okanogan or SFU in Surrey. :)
  5. OptimistPrime

OptimistPrime

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Getting into a "pre-pharmacy" program won't help you enter the BSPharm at ubc any more than just completing the pre-requisites. Don't worry too much about getting straight A's in highschool, I know plenty of people that completely tanked in first semester university even after having over 86% highschool averages. Some people, did well in university even after having poor highschool grades. One thing i would do if i were you is take physics 12, I know it is not a pre-req for the university physics you have to take, but it is very helpful. University studying is just a bit different from highschool, you have to get used to it and learn how to study. If I were you, I would do the pre-requisites over two years and take it easy but try very hard. This way you can get volunteer experience aswell. Also, heads up for university calculus :scared:. Goodluck.
  6. dramaQueen16

Pre-Pharmacy
    hSDN Member
    Okay, thanks! That's good to hear because I guess I could just live with my parents in Surrey and attend SFU to get all of my pre-requisites. I'll definitely look into doing Physics 12, maybe even in the summer or something. Calculus is something I'm extremely worried about! :( Thanks for all the information though - it was really helpful!

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal