High School Pre-Med Society

freshbagels

EM PGY1
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not a high-schooler, but I am currently serving at an inner-city high-school in New Orleans as part of my term with AmeriCorps. A couple of years ago, this school was actually rated as the worst in the city, but it has since improved to be rated as "passing" (barely); even so, the majority of kids are reading and doing math far below their grade levels. Despite this, there are some students who are interested in a possible future career in medicine, so I'd like to start an after-school med school interest club.

I'm currently in the middle of the application cycle myself (1 interview invite so far!) and I'm a bit of a non-traditional student, but I've got a relatively good grasp on the whole pre-med process. My question for you all: are there an official, national high-school "pre-med" clubs or societies for high schoolers that I could start a chapter of? If not, are any of you members (or, even better, leaders) of home-grown clubs of this sort?

I'm looking to pick your brains for possible structure, activity. or community outreach ideas. Keep in mind that for many of these students, the major goal is to get to college, not to pad their CV for a future medical school app. My aspirations are more to spark interest in and discussion about the profession, and perhaps even push the kids into pursuing some some interesting ECs that could be related to medicine in some way.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm might not be of much help here but maybe look into HOSA.

Sorry for the necro-post--

However, I am looking into starting a pre-med society at my college, and was wondering if you could share your experiences relating too....

- advertising to the student body, did you use social media, posters etc?

- scheduling club meetings and keeping detail of them.

-drafting your constitution to present to the student senate?

If you know of any other resources I can look up, that would be awesome!

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the necro-post--

However, I am looking into starting a pre-med society at my college, and was wondering if you could share your experiences relating too....

- advertising to the student body, did you use social media, posters etc?

- scheduling club meetings and keeping detail of them.

-drafting your constitution to present to the student senate?

If you know of any other resources I can look up, that would be awesome!

Thanks for your help!
Just make a new post...