High-school student: Question concerning careers and where to find opportunities.

Kat2122

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in 9th grade. In math and science I'm a sophomore (soon to be junior), and considering different possibilities for the future- all science related, because I would consider that my passion. In that way, I'm pretty ambitious... I've looked into different careers and graduate degrees and the like, and recently added Physician scientist to my list because I am really intrigued by it- as of now I'm leaning towards an md/phd program with a graduate degree in either behavioral or translational neurology, any suggestions? Unfortunately, I live in an area where science is extremely under-appreciated and scarcely found, so it is a little bit difficult to find experience, volunteer spots, and internships. It doesn't help that I am advanced ( if I were not advanced, I would be doing 7th grade work, with my age-group peers), and not eligible for many things. Anyone who has advice to offer concerning the age gap, finding experiences, classes that I should take, and other careers that you think prominent, please share! Thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So you're currently in middle school? It's great that you're thinking ahead. Right now, do anything you can to better your chances for a good undergrad research institution with a medical school (if that's the kind of environment you want). Take all the AP or IB classes you can -- especially psych if available (which is a good introduction to basic neuroscience). Anything that covers some college pre-reqs gets you in a good spot to start taking more interesting and advanced classes early in your college career.

Once you get into undergrad, start thinking about doing some neuroscience research. Yes, it's possible to get involved as a high school student, but... honestly, my labs never had HS students doing any real work. However, it's good exposure if you do have time to spend in a lab. Start thinking about what you're specifically interested in, because there are a lot of different fields! Do you want to do cognitive neuroscience --mostly conducted on people using neuroimaging -- (emotion, morality, memory, etc.)? Behavioral neuroscience -- mostly animal models -- (reward circuitry, feeding behavior, hormones, perception, etc)? Translational/neurology -- taking basic science and applying to people and/or working in clinical settings?

Realize that research is not for everyone. Neither is medicine. Find out what both fields are actually like by doing some research and shadowing some physicians. It is a long process to become a physician scientist, so it takes a lot of passion and work. Personally, I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to pursue medicine or academics, so I spent and additional three years doing neuroscience research after undergrad while also being involved in medical work. I decided medicine was the field I wanted to focus in.

Basically, it doesn't hurt to reach out and see if you can shadow a doctor or two right now and understand what they do on a daily basis. However, the most important thing is doing well in your current classes and taking it one step at a time. :) Happy to answer any other questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Firstly, I applaud you for thinking ahead. Middle school and high school are quite a ways from medical school. I recommend that you don't box yourself into this profession as usually at this stage most people don't know what their dream jobs entail. At this point, I would examine a number of professions from straight research, to medicine, law, engineering, etc. GPA, SAT, and taking challenging classes are super important. As there arent many opportunities in your area, consider being the person who helps create them. If you can forge relationships with local institutions and professionals this is very impressive on an app and will give you opportunities. Lastly, dont focus too much on the future so that you can live and develop in the present.