High school to Pathology

kronos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a freshman in high school and I really want to be a pathologist in the long run. Without anyone to guide me, I would like to ask those who have the knowledge on how can I achieve this dream of mine (better if you are a pathologist). I have heard that getting great marks on Biology and Chemistry is a step to becoming a pathologist. I have an outstanding performance in school including Biology. I am taking Chemistry next year and psychology as my elective. Please give me more information.

Members don't see this ad.

This thread is going to go poorly for you..

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest, if you do not have anything useful to say concerning this thread, please do not even bother commenting. I am serious, and will pursue Pathology soon.

freshmen-en-ffffff

Reactions: 5 users
I would suggest, if you do not have anything useful to say concerning this thread, please do not even bother commenting. I am serious, and will pursue Pathology soon.

I wouldn't say soon since you still have close to a decade before medical school, that is, if you don't change your mind.
Enjoy your life in high school. Make friends, play a sport, talk to some girls, get laid, devote about 5 minutes to homework, etc.
If you still feel being a physician is for you in college, do well in your classes, get involved, but make sure to have a life.

But honestly though, don't stress about it for the next 4 years.

Moving to hSDN, as OP is in high school. Hopefully you'll be treated better there.

Reactions: 1 user
You should probably start gaining healthcare experience and shadowing physicians. It's still very early to tell whether you'll like pathology or not.

I am 15; I was a junior once, due to my outstanding performance. My parents moved states, and therefore we moved too due to "problems". My current school that I am attending never accepted and honored me as a junior, they put me back to freshman year. That being said, instead considering me as a junior, they just put me to AP classes. I believe someone will lift me up from freshman and reconsider me as a senior. This is why I am concerned of colleges already.

Simple... Finish your HS, do well on SAT/ACT and subject tests, attend a 4-year university (private research schools can help you apply to med schools), research, shadow, volunteer, continue doing your hobbies to make yourself unique, maintain all or mostly A's, get a good MCAT score (ideally 90th percentile or higher for MD schools), get strong rec letters, get into a med school (MD school for better match into pathology), get strong Step 1 and Step 2 CK scores, get strong rec letters, honor your classes and clerkships, do some pathology research during years 1-3, apply to pathology residencies only, hope you don't have to scramble. Easy.

easer said than done. If you go in expecting college to be easy like high school, then the professors will tear you apart (especially the science professors). In high school you put in 30 minutes a day to get an A in a science course, in college try juggling chemistry, biology, volunteering, research, calculus, shadowing all while maintaining at least a 3.6 gpa. For example, the average final grade in my Chemistry 1 class (predominantly freshman class) was a 70 D-, so you have to dedicate yourself to study, know the material inside and out, that takes TIME. The teachers don't make it easy and they don't curve the grades.

Thank you bioman, that would help me a lot.

You're still in high school, focus on your SAT an GPA, go to undergrad, focus on your GPA + pre-reqs for the MCAT, do your research and extracurriculars, graduate college with a 3.6+ GPA, apply to medical school, attend medical school, focus on your STEP 1 material, take your STEP 1, focus on your clinical grades, take STEP 2, apply to Pathology residency....etc.

Don't take your interest in pathology too seriously, once you actually attend medical school, take classes, do your rotations, you may find that you like other fields more.

Hi, I'm a freshman in high school and I really want to be a pathologist in the long run. Without anyone to guide me, I would like to ask those who have the knowledge on how can I achieve this dream of mine (better if you are a pathologist). I have heard that getting great marks on Biology and Chemistry is a step to becoming a pathologist. I have an outstanding performance in school including Biology. I am taking Chemistry next year and psychology as my elective. Please give me more information.

Volunteer and try and meet a pathologist and shadow them.

Getting great marks in bio and chem in undergrad is not indicative of becoming a pathologist. Getting great marks in all your courses is a step to getting into medical school.

Good luck!