high science gpa, low overall gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

looscrew

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have searched the countless gpa threads, but no one has been in similar shoes as me. has anyone ever heard of someone getting in with a relatively high science gpa (3.3 or so) and a low overall gpa (2.4)? these are all theoretical at this point since i have another couple years left. i have hit quite a few major stumbling blocks along the way in my earlier years and am now refocused. every school that i have talked to wants a 3.0 overall or there abouts to be competitive, but since i will have close to 200 units (changed majors), a post bacc program won't do me any good and i'm afraid my overall UG gpa is too low to get into any master's program. thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are going for masters in science degree, they tend to focus more on the science courses along with GRE score. Also for medical school, if you prepare well for MCAT you may be able to overcome the low GPA.

looscrew said:
i have searched the countless gpa threads, but no one has been in similar shoes as me. has anyone ever heard of someone getting in with a relatively high science gpa (3.3 or so) and a low overall gpa (2.4)? these are all theoretical at this point since i have another couple years left. i have hit quite a few major stumbling blocks along the way in my earlier years and am now refocused. every school that i have talked to wants a 3.0 overall or there abouts to be competitive, but since i will have close to 200 units (changed majors), a post bacc program won't do me any good and i'm afraid my overall UG gpa is too low to get into any master's program. thanks in advance.

I have a higher science gpa (3.60) and a lower overall (3.39) because I changed majors (this is my 8th yr in undergrad). I wasn't focused at first either and it really hurts my gpa. I flunked Freshman Orientation! How sad is that?? I only have two C's in BPMC and a few B's. I have A's in the harder classes though (Organic, Histology, Comp Anatomy, etc.) Right now I'm headed for the high A in Physics too. That should help me bc my MCAT PS suffered from never having it before.
I think they understand if you have obvious foul-ups on your transcript, as long as you've shown responsibility and consistency since then. I don't know about having a lower than 3.0 though. I'd say it would be worth retaking a few of the sciences. If you really blow the MCAT away they would be more willing to overlook the lower GPA. I think most schools require the 3.0 to get a secondary though.
It's one of those getting past the initial drop so they can see what you're all about.

Members don't see this ad :)
looscrew said:

Like someone said...do great on the MCAT and that'll made a difference.
Some schools also have BRIDGE programs that I "think" are for situations like you describe. OSUCOM has it I believe. Do a search to find details on it if you're interested.

Johnny

My nonscience GPA is a 4.0 but my science GPA is like a 2.5 (2 B's and 2 C's), and my overall is like a 3.25....I dont even think I can get into a DO school with those Numbers....and i'm only a sophmore, and ALREADY this early in the game it looks so grim...i hate this, why could I not do well.... :( :(

actually, i posted something similar to this (in fact, i think i got the exact same responses).. my undergrad gpa was a 2.6, but my science gpa is above a 3.6 (so far, *knock on wood*), which pulled my gpa up to a 2.9 so far.. i still got organic 1 & 2 and bio 2 and physics 2, so hopefully i can pull up my overall gpa above 3.0.. but ya i can feel for the OP-- my cousin is applying to dental school and so far her science gpa (she's 1/2 way done with her prereqs) is straight C's.. but if it means something to you, you'll do what it takes and you'll even retake classes if you have to.. just keep pluggin away..

a good friend of mine who is in med school told me, "you'll get in eventually-- everyone gets in eventually-- if it matters to you, it make take some time, but keep getting after it." i think what he said was so true. i have faith that i will get in, despite my previous history, i just gotta maintain what i'm doing. i think anyone who is in doubt should do the same

You won't know until you try! If you assume you won't get in and don't apply you definitely won't. But if you want it go for it, keep pushing, find more options, don't give up. Persistence counts. You may just get in!

Since I will be a senior this year and taking the MCAT in the spring (april 2006) I have a huge decision to make. I'll only have a 3.0 when I graduate and I know I'm going to kick butt on the MCAT (I'm so determined) but I need to decide if I should try to get in a post bac program or take a year and do research work while applying at the same time to DO schools (I really want UNECOM...so bad I can taste it!) for sept. 2007. With my low gpa should I even consider applying already? Or should I just head straight into a post bac or grad program. I just don't want to drop a ton of money on a program and then start med school without finishing it. What do you guys think? Any advice qould make me feel so much better! Good luck to all of you!