High science GPA with Low overall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just learned that AACOMAS doesn't include math into your science GPA which means.... my science GPA is going to shoot up into the roof

Umm, when I finished my undergrad, I took the following:
- a ton of computer sciences
- math
- Physics I and II (along with labs) (did fairly well, B+, B-, A-, B+)
- zero Biology and zero chemistries

Right now, I am doing my post-bacc (which includes all my pre-med sciences) and I am rocking them (nothing under 3.8 so far), this means my science GPA when Im done and ready is going to be pretty darn High (well over 3.6), but my overall would bairly touch 3.2....

How bad does this look? Is there anyone here who has been accepted with similar stats?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.25 science GPA, and a 2.68 overall.

3.4+ overall and science GPA in 80+ hours of pretty tough post-bac coursework though. I have one acceptance and one wait-list. I'm going to take my acceptance and close up shop. Going to all these interviews sucks.

My science GPA (3.8) is also much higher than my overall (3.4). Like you, I had a pretty mediocre undergrad performance with a great post-bacc. I think that at the schools where my GPA is below their average, they did weigh my science GPA more heavily. (One school told me that in my interview.) I have heard varied opinions on this, but I really do think that they tend to take into consideration the difficulty of courses you took, so I think that the math and computer science will also work in your favor.

Also, since you asked about acceptances with similar stats: I was invited to 5 interviews, went to four, and was accepted into the four schools where I interviewed. I also applied early (in July), and I think that helped a lot, too.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just learned that AACOMAS doesn't include math into your science GPA which means.... my science GPA is going to shoot up into the roof

Umm, when I finished my undergrad, I took the following:
- a ton of computer sciences
- math
- Physics I and II (along with labs) (did fairly well, B+, B-, A-, B+)
- zero Biology and zero chemistries

Right now, I am doing my post-bacc (which includes all my pre-med sciences) and I am rocking them (nothing under 3.8 so far), this means my science GPA when Im done and ready is going to be pretty darn High (well over 3.6), but my overall would bairly touch 3.2....

How bad does this look? Is there anyone here who has been accepted with similar stats?

sounds exactly like me........the thing that sucks about being pseudo middle of the road (great post bacc/crappy GPA) is that our overall GPA is still above the cut offs. So expect to receive all the secondaries you apply to, seeing you do decent on the mcat

I have a 3.25 science GPA, and a 2.68 overall.

3.4+ overall and science GPA in 80+ hours of pretty tough post-bac coursework though. I have one acceptance and one wait-list. I'm going to take my acceptance and close up shop. Going to all these interviews sucks.

tx triathlete, where did you get waitlisted if you don't mind me askin?