High sciences but low PAT & RC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaymaster7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the DAT for the second time couple days back. My first DAT score was 15AA 16TS and 16PAT.

This time my score is
PAT 17
QR 18
RC 17
Bio 21
GC 18
OC 25
TS 21
AA 20

My GPA is 3.0, 500 volunteer hours and 100 shadowing hours with general dentist. I am worried if my score will be competitive enough to get interviews and acceptance. Will this be enough if I apply early? Is there a guide available on this site for procedure on applying to dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

The scores are within the range for acceptance but your gpa may be an issue. From what I have seen if your DAT scores are average you need to have a higher GPA or the reverse. I would still apply but look at schools that may take you with that gpa and apply broadly and include private schools. Good luck!

I'd recommend applying as early as possible to get a good chance of interviews. Like make sure everything is submitted within the first week of when applications open.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quite the improvement from your first DAT. I would consider taking the DAT again as I don't know if your DAT/GPA combo will be enough. Honestly, you probably need a 22+ (AA and TS) to be in a good position, but your scores could possibly land you some interview if you apply early enough. It really depends on the rest of your application!

Thank you guys for the feedback. I know my GPA is low that's why I was considering to do 1 year masters program if I wasn't able to improve from the first time. But I seriously don't want to spend $40-50k on that and delay another year getting into dental school. I am hesitant about taking the DAT again because I don't know if I can improve much on PAT and RC. Can you guys tell me which schools accept low GPAs ?

I had your gpa, and a 19AA and got in. but i started a masters program in august and got a 4.0 last semester, and still taking classes this semester. i will not be finishing my masters though since i start ds in the summer. i also have a lot of experience working in a dental office, but i think the masters + 2.5year upward trend did it for me. keep improving your gpa throughout the cycle and show them in the academic update, and email schools with updates (ones that allow them). its a small chance, but a chance nontheless if you have the money to apply this summer, if not then you could always wait and reapply with a stronger gpa and not waste money/time applying. oh i also had a 17 pat, but a 20 rc.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice job with your improvements! What materials helped you with getting better scores?

Thank you guys for the feedback. I know my GPA is low that's why I was considering to do 1 year masters program if I wasn't able to improve from the first time. But I seriously don't want to spend $40-50k on that and delay another year getting into dental school. I am hesitant about taking the DAT again because I don't know if I can improve much on PAT and RC. Can you guys tell me which schools accept low GPAs ?

The most expensive ones and the historically black ones.

for what its worth, my score was similar (low RC/PAT high sciences..but a bit higher overall) and i got a good amount of interviews. If its something thats gonna hold you back, it will be GPA before DAT.

for what its worth, my score was similar (low RC/PAT high sciences..but a bit higher overall) and i got a good amount of interviews. If its something thats gonna hold you back, it will be GPA before DAT.
what was your GPA and DAT score if you don't mind me asking?

If that 3.0 has a strong upward trend in your upper divisions (especially science courses), it's cool. If you aren't URM, forget the HBCU. If you have published research, Boston is supposedly pretty forgiving. Otherwise, Tufts, USC, University of the Pacific, and NYU might be worth considering too. If you are instate for a school of the Southeastern part of the US, their scores appear less competitive.

Quite the improvement from your first DAT. I would consider taking the DAT again as I don't know if your DAT/GPA combo will be enough. Honestly, you probably need a 22+ (AA and TS) to be in a good position, but your scores could possibly land you some interview if you apply early enough. It really depends on the rest of your application!

I agree with derbear, a 22+ would get noticed. I had a 23TS with ~3.0 oGPA/sGPA. It was just enough for me to snag an interview and acceptance at NYU. I even applied in December.