Highest Paid Medical Specialties????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tedebear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the 5 highest paid medical specialities? Please post your opinion below. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Tedebear said:
What are the 5 highest paid medical specialities? Please post your opinion below. :D

I think wangology is pretty high up there...followed by shlongopedics.

Go to the USMLE board and see what the high scorers want to do...should give you an idea what they are ;)

speaking of high scorers and high pay, what are you supposed to say when you get interviewed for these specialties?

Be honest and say, "I'm in it for the money" ?

You know the program directors know you're in it for the money 99% of the time. If you say something else, they'll just be thinking "you're full of shet".

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Vitreo-retinal ophthalmologist
2) Orthopedic spine surgeon
3) Ophthalmologist doing mostly Lasik (depending on location, surgical volume, contract, etc)
4) Plastic surgeon (once again depending on location, etc, etc)
5) Hair transplant surgeon!

neuro spine and ortho spine.

Oh yeah.....

you can stop dreaming about these specialties unless you have a 4.0 and 290 step scores.

YouDontKnowJack said:
Oh yeah.....

you can stop dreaming about these specialties unless you have a 4.0 and 290 step scores.

Except the hair transplant surgeon. It's not a formal fellowship. I've seen radiologists make the switch to hair transplant :eek: Check this out:

http://www.locateadoc.com/folio.cfm/sid/31/id/338464

It's not for everyone, but I'm definetly going to keep it as an option in the future.

Anesthesiology: Pediatrics $ 283,000 $311,000 $378,000
Anesthesiology: General $207,000 $275,000 $448,000
Anesthesiology: Pain Management $315,000 $370,000 $651,000

i think this is within my reach.
reasonable salary.

CTSballer11 said:
I thought that fell under dermatology?

No, thats what someone else said here on SDN. I've researched hair transplant surgery a little and you'd be surprised at the residencies some of these doc's completed. Radiology. Urology. Family practice. Dermatology. General Surgery. etc, etc.

It may be possible to cut the chase. Finish med school, one year of internship, and go straight into hair transplant training. My only worry is what happens if some drug comes out that helps your hair grow back. Its safe, has high efficacy, and is cheaper than surgery. Guess you'd be SOL!

YouDontKnowJack said:
Anesthesiology: Pediatrics $ 283,000 $311,000 $378,000
Anesthesiology: General $207,000 $275,000 $448,000
Anesthesiology: Pain Management $315,000 $370,000 $651,000

i think this is within my reach.
reasonable salary.

Also keep in mind the rather constant influx of patients...especially if you are in a hospital. no need to really advertise your specialty and is always challenging. I'm been considering doing this.

DOCTORSAIB said:
No, thats what someone else said here on SDN. I've researched hair transplant surgery a little and you'd be surprised at the residencies some of these doc's completed. Radiology. Urology. Family practice. Dermatology. General Surgery. etc, etc.

It may be possible to cut the chase. Finish med school, one year of internship, and go straight into hair transplant training. My only worry is what happens if some drug comes out that helps your hair grow back. Its safe, has high efficacy, and is cheaper than surgery. Guess you'd be SOL!

I see. I saw a special about hair transplant surgery and the surgeon, if you can call him that, was a dermatologist. He charged 10K a procedure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Invasive cardiologists made on average $360,000 in 2002 (after overhead, but before taxes) with 46% making greater than $400,000. This is followed by gastroenterologists, orthopedic surgeons, noninvasive cardiologists and general surgeons. Overall, physicians that worked with 10-24 other doctors made the most at $300,000. And doctors with 21-30 years of experience made the most at $174,000 on average. Doctors between the ages of 50 and 54 made the most at $198,000. Males earned on average $55,000 more than females at $180,000. And doctors in the southwest made the most at $200,000.

Therefore, the ideal situation (financially and statistically speaking) is to be a male invasive cardiologist between the ages of 50 and 54 with 21-30 years of experience practicing in a medium sized (10-24 doctor) facility somewhere in the southwest.

Source: http://www.memag.com/memag/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=112482

Reactions: 1 user
CTSballer11 said:
I see. I saw a special about hair transplant surgery and the surgeon, if you can call him that, was a dermatologist. He charged 10K a procedure.

Do 2 of those a day, 4 days/week and you're set...:)

noncestvrai said:
Somebody knows if this site is the real deal?

These salaries seem way too high.

noncestvrai
ortho spine maxing out at $1.3 million! :wow:

TheFlash said:

The salaries on the there are inflated. However, spine surgeons do make a killing. One of the attendings I used to work with (general ophthalmologist) who's been practicing for 50+ years made over a million/year when he was running his private practice in downtown Washington, DC!

I have a family friend who is an orthopedic spine surgeon. He makes between 1.3 and 1.7 million dollars a year (my dad does his taxes).

dsh said:
I have a family friend who is an orthopedic spine surgeon. He makes between 1.3 and 1.7 million dollars a year (my dad does his taxes).

haha

god. i hope i'll have the necessary business skills to make upper 6-figures.

TheFlash said:

I am only a premed, but I think I have found my true calling.

CTSballer11 said:
I am only a premed, but I think I have found my true calling.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Me too!!! :D

j/k

dudes and dudettes

it's OK to go into medicine for the money.

so stop fronting.

Reactions: 1 user
YouDontKnowJack said:
dudes and dudettes

it's OK to go into medicine for the money.

so stop fronting.

I am not fronting. Money is very important in this day an age. There is no right reason to choose medicine. As long as you get the job done it does not matter what your motive(s) are.

DOCTORSAIB said:
Except the hair transplant surgeon. It's not a formal fellowship. I've seen radiologists make the switch to hair transplant :eek: Check this out:

http://www.locateadoc.com/folio.cfm/sid/31/id/338464

It's not for everyone, but I'm definetly going to keep it as an option in the future.

I thought DO's had to be family practice, wait thats not true, a DO is doing physical therapy for my dad right now...apparently he's almost as good as the real physical therapist.

PS: Im kidding...except about the PT part, thats true.

Obviously, we all care somewhat about making money. I'm not saying that it's everyone's primary motive for becoming a doctor. (Though if it is, that's cool by me, as long as you're still going to be a good doctor.) If none of us cared about money, there are a ton of other professions out there that would allow us to help people the same amount, if not more. Even within the healthcare field, we could opt to be PAs or RNs, for example.

That said, I was leaning towards ortho before seeing this webpage, just because I think it's cool, but I have to say that this chart might have made me a little more comfortable with that decision...

dynx said:
I thought DO's had to be family practice, wait thats not true, a DO is doing physical therapy for my dad right now...apparently he's almost as good as the real physical therapist.

PS: Im kidding...except about the PT part, thats true.

Funny.

YouDontKnowJack said:
god. i hope i'll have the necessary business skills to make upper 6-figures.

Besides this being totally true, if you dont have the proper business skills and financial skills then you are going to be totally broke (look at MC hammer). I would highly suggest a personal accountant and put some of that money into savings.

My sister is an FP/Ob-gyn (she stopped the OB-GYN 2 years back), but she was roughly making around the 90th percentile (i think a little less than 200K). After 3 years at this pay and no financial skills, a herniated disc and a baby later, I dont know if she has any more of her earnings. Know how to manage your money.