Highly ranked state school vs. uconn pt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgrace10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to a few pt programs around the country, but have finally narrowed down my decision to a highly ranked pt school in wisconsin (38 on the us rankings) and uconn (ranked 57). I know that uconn is a great school, and most likely has a better name than University of Wisconsin La Crosse...but if both programs are basically similar besides a few differences in clinical options (and of course tuition costs), which is the right school to choose? I'm running out of time to make a decision. I have come up with equal pros and cons for each school. Any thoughts?!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO I would forget about the ranking because both schools are pretty close to one another. I would just make a list of personal reason why you want to go to each school and go from there. One thing I have found out by reading a lot of these forums is that no matter what school you graduate from it is the same degree. When everything is said and done you're still going to be a DPT so wouldn't you want to enjoy the "extra" years you are going to be putting in to it. Good luck with which ever school you choose! :thumbup:

I think it would be helpful if you broke down the exact differences. Whats the difference in the clinicals (aside from specific sites which is obvious) and the tutition/cost of living? We could get a sense if there is something significant in those differences that way.

I've asked many practicing PT's the question on 'does it matter where you graduate from' and their opinion is always a resounding NO. As long as its accreditted, the PT's always just ask, 'do they have good clinical opportunities to expose you to a variety of settings?' and which is less expensive?

I picked my state school over the top ranked, 'well known' programs in the country. I cannot wait to start. I'll have great clinicals and save over $50,000. It felt strange to turn down the top schools, but the reality of the matter is unless you are going to make more money coming out of one of those schools, it doesnt make sense to spend more money to get the DPT.

just my thoughts!

feel free to msg me if u like. id be glad to elaborate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say go to UW-La Crosse but I'm biased because I go there (graduate in May). It has solid ortho coverage but the neuro units may be a bit lacking in completeness (nature of the topics and inherent variety in patient population and you'll learn a lot during rotations).
If you have any questions on UWL's program let me know.

Does anyone actually search through old posts and threads anymore? Pretty sure this has been covered ad nauseam.

I agree with the previous posts. Make a list of pros and cons to find the right fit with you. Rankings are not everything.

In addition, where do you want to practice when you graduate? If it's Conn., I don't know that employers there would be in awe over a slightly higher ranked school in Wisconsin. Sometimes a regionally recognized school is looked upon more favorably. But overall, most PTs I talk to say it doesn't matter where you go to school.

Thanks so much for all of your input! The schools' curriculums are nearly identical-as are most pt programs across the US. UWL actually offers approx. 6 more weeks of clinicals. Although it seems minimal, I think this will be important and definitely beneficial. Also, cost difference is roughly 60K and I already have loans for undergrad. I guess the hard part is turning down a 'well known' program as stated above. Also in terms of general living, yes UCONN is close (approx 2 hours) to NYC and Boston, but Storrs itself is a really small community. I'm a little afraid of feeling alienated from any sort of night life, etc. I did my undergrad at Wisconsin Madison and it'd be quite a change I think. In state seems to be my best overall option.