Highschool Senior - CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noheavies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a high school senior that is about to start CC this summer. I am wondering what are my choices as far as dental schools go because I've been told that schools don't take CC credits. What would be the best major to apply as that will prepare me the most for the DAT and dental school in general. Also, how will they calculate my GPA? I've been told that once you transfer, you'll start with a clean slate, and that you generally apply in your junior/senior year, so that gives me about 2-3 semesters that count towards my GPA while applying to dental schools?

I live in California and my goal is to take my prereqs at CC and transfer to UC Davis though the guaranteed admission application (TAG). Has anyone ever done this here and if so, how was it?

Right now I am most likely going to enroll in CC because the only schools I got into were UC Santa Cruz and Santa Clara University. I did pretty good in HS, 3.8 GPA and 1990 SAT, but I really don't want to pay 50k / year for SCU, and my parents don't want me to go UCSC because they said for the same price/cheaper price, I can go to a more reputable school (UCD)

Preferably I'd like to just do general dentistry, and I really want to go to UCSF or UCLA because its instate and cheaper, but I'd also like to go to Washington or Texas. What GPA/DAT would I need to have to be considered a strong applicant for those schools?

Long post sorry, just anxious about this whole thing:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'll try and answer your questions one by one. First, you're well ahead of the game being a high schooler, so props to you already knowing what you want to do. As far as CC credits go, most dental schools will take up to a certain amount of them. To know which schools take how many CCs in what classes, you'll have to go to each's website. Buy the 2012 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools - that'll answer most of your questions about credits, prereq, costs, etc.

In terms of the best major to prepare for the DAT or dental school, it's hands down the biological science. Remember though, you don't have to be a bio major to do well on the DAT or dental school.

When you submit your transcripts during the application cycle, the ADEA will recalculate your GPA into a BCP(bio-chm-phys), science, non-science, and overall grade point. Despite your CC credits not affecting the GPA of whatever school you decide upon transferring, it WILL affect the overall GPA that schools see when they review your application.

As far as stats of admission for certain schools, buy the ADEA Official Guide or check out predents.com . Texas schools generally don't take out of state applicants; UW, UCLA, UCSF you'd have a decent shot with a 21+ and ~3.6 GPA. You never know though, it's all a crapshoot. FYI, because you want to be a general dentist you might want to look into schools like UoP that have a strong clinical reputation. UCLA and UCSF are amazing, but some would consider them more geared towards putting their students into specialty programs than general practice. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'll try and answer your questions one by one. First, you're well ahead of the game being a high schooler, so props to you already knowing what you want to do. As far as CC credits go, most dental schools will take up to a certain amount of them. To know which schools take how many CCs in what classes, you'll have to go to each's website. Buy the 2012 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools - that'll answer most of your questions about credits, prereq, costs, etc.

In terms of the best major to prepare for the DAT or dental school, it's hands down the biological science. Remember though, you don't have to be a bio major to do well on the DAT or dental school.

When you submit your transcripts during the application cycle, the ADEA will recalculate your GPA into a BCP(bio-chm-phys), science, non-science, and overall grade point. Despite your CC credits not affecting the GPA of whatever school you decide upon transferring, it WILL affect the overall GPA that schools see when they review your application.

As far as stats of admission for certain schools, buy the ADEA Official Guide or check out predents.com . Texas schools generally don't take out of state applicants; UW, UCLA, UCSF you'd have a shot with a 21+ and high GPA. You never know though, it's all a crapshoot. FYI, because you want to be a general dentist, you might want to look into schools like UoP that have a strong clinical reputation. UCLA and UCSF are amazing, but some would consider them more geared towards putting their students into specialty programs than general practice. Good luck.

Oh I didn't know Washington was so competitive. What exactly do you mean by high gpa? 3.5+?

What other schools have a strong clinical reputation like you said, but public?

Members don't see this ad :)
Download this excel file, it'll show the stats: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=899971

The only public dental schools in CA are UCLA and UCSF. You'll be considered out of state for tuition purposes at all other schools, public or not, because of your CA residency. Depending on the school however, you may be able to get in state tuition after your first year if the school/state allows you to change residencies

ps. UoP is the only 3 yr school in the country.

Download this excel file, it'll show the stats: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=899971

The only public dental schools in CA are UCLA and UCSF. You'll be considered out of state for tuition purposes at all other schools, public or not, because of your CA residency. Depending on the school however, you may be able to get in state tuition after your first year if the school/state allows you to change residencies

ps. UoP is the only 3 yr school in the country.

I see, but aren't OOS publics still cheaper than privates?

What is the equivalent toa biological science major? I can only find that major at UCD, but I can't find it under UCSD or UCLA

I see, but aren't OOS publics still cheaper than privates?

What is the equivalent toa biological science major? I can only find that major at UCD, but I can't find it under UCSD or UCLA

Yes, usually publics are cheaper. I can't help you with background on which public schools are better suited for GP but I can tell you that all you need to do is type "school XYZ sdn" on google and you'll get a lot.

Biological sciences is biology. But anything chemistry, neuroscience, microbio, molecular bio, physio, etc is great. Sections on the DAT are general bio, general chemistry, organic chemistry, math, perceptual ability, and reading.

Last question, do people usually get masters before applying to dental schools? Ideally, I'd just like to get my b.s and go straight into dental school, but I've heard some people continue for their masters then going to dental schools.

Anyone else went to CC and still got to dental school? Just want to read some success stories :)

No most people do NOT get a masters degree before dental school.

I went a cc for three whiles messing around and not knowing what I wanted to do. I won't be a success story until next year. I did do 90% of my required prereqs at a university. Also from looking at tuition prices there is not a significant difference between private and OOS schools that accept a significant amount of OOS students.

I see, so people who pursue masters are the ones with low gpa for their undergrad ( <3.0)?

I've just been told that dental/medical schools look down upon CC courses. Is this true? If so, how much of an impact does it really make? Do you think it's worth it to just go to UCSC or SCU if it will severely hinder my chances? My parents really don't want me to go to SCU or UCSC because of cost, but they can pay for it :/