Highschool Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Phlebotomist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Doctors & Members,

I have graduated high school two months ago. I have a goal to attend medical school based on observation and shadowing doctors. I have started my Mcat preparation and know that I have to take USMLE after med school. Do you guys recommend me to start early preparing? How can I prepare for this? Please share your insights. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Focus on the MCAT. Get into med school then worry about the step. One step at a time grasshopper.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 2 users
good grades, good mcats, good lors and don't get arrested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then study for the MCAT..

But if you're REALLY that bored then I suggest getting a head start in Anatomy. Emphasis on head start... Lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Although my major is molecular biology and does not require anatomy and physiology, I think I should take these classes regardless. What do you think will this help in med school? Will this be helpful on the mcat and usmle?

I'm not sure about the MCAT to be honest...
But Anatomy & Physio are the fundamentals, deff good classes to consider taking for the Step/ Med School.

Hello Doctors & Members,

I have graduated high school two months ago. I have a goal to attend medical school based on observation and shadowing doctors. I have started my Mcat preparation and know that I have to take USMLE after med school. Do you guys recommend me to start early preparing? How can I prepare for this? Please share your insights. Thank you!
you take step 1 in between MS2 and MS3. You havent even gotten IN med school yet!
To be honest taking physio/anatomy may help but the only thing that really helps is having a good study routine and being disciplined.
Get into med school first then worry about this test....two years after!

Jeez, talk about Gunner

Reactions: 6 users
Kids these days.... they start earlier and earlier.

Sigh, Kids these days. I'm so glad I was able to enjoy my childhood/teens. This kid hasn't even started college already talking about studying for the Steps. (Don't even think I knew what that was at 17) Kid you are WAAAY over your head buddy. Best advice so far on this thread: "Just Don't get arrested" in college.

Buy first aid now and start memorizing it or you won't ever get into medical school.

not srs

Reactions: 1 users
Sigh, Kids these days. I'm so glad I was able to enjoy my childhood/teens. This kid hasn't even started college already talking about studying for the Steps. (Don't even think I knew what that was at 17) Kid you are WAAAY over your head buddy. Best advice so far on this thread: "Just Don't get arrested" in college.

I may be over my head, but I believe starting earlier means less head aches in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
no. that's not even the newest version. there's a new one every year. you don't need to worry about step 1 yet. it's too early for you to even worry about the MCAT, let alone step 1

I previewed the 2014 eidtion on amazon and saw that step 1 is just all facts about diseases and conditions; information basically. I agree with you its not a good idea to buy the book right now and study it.

The best way of utilizing my time is to find all these terms on QUIZLET and start the memorization process, spending 30-60 mins once a day for 4 years memorizing by online flash cards should help me have a solid background in STEP1. Thanks for your advice!

I sincerely hope this is just good old trolling, but just in case it isn't...
If I am correct you are supposed to start medical school in 4-5 years, correct? Which means you are likely to be taking Step 1 in 6-7 years?
Studying for it now is ridiculous on so many levels that I don't know where to start:
- you probably don't even have the necessary pre-medical knowledge to do any productive studying
- without any form of guidance you cannot possibly know what is relevant to know
- the exams may change dramatically in that many years
- you may not even get into medical school if you study for Step 1 instead of your college courses
- you won't remember anything you study at this time
- things covered by Step 1 are not the basics of medicine; generally you need the background knowledge; you can't just take FA or RR Pathology or BRS Physiology (judging by your post, I will assume you already know what these are) and learn anything - that's not the purpose of these books

but sure, if you get more pleasure from reading FA and pretending you are studying for USMLE; instead of going to Florida to enjoy the summer with your friends; go ahead. Before you start college the one thing you need to do is - enjoy your time - if that means reading random facts about polyartheritis nodosa, great!

Hello Doctors & Members,

Dude, it's the summer after you graduated high school. Hang out with friends, get drunk, go on roadtrips, get laid. When college starts, your priorities should be to make sure medicine is even for you, make friends, have fun, and do well enough in school so you have options for the future. Any microscopic advantage you perceive yourself to be getting by studying early will be far outweighed by the lost experiences you'll have from studying for a test that at its earliest is 6 years away.

Hello Doctors & Members,

I know you think you're being proactive and taking initiative by being a mind-blowingly gunning gunner, but you've reached the point of negative impact. As in, not only will studying this far ahead not help you, it could actually hurt you. Here are some ways:
-You're detracting time from volunteering, shadowing, or finding research opportunities now to help you get into med school.
-You're detracting time away from studying for college.
-You're setting yourself up to incorrectly learn future information, and misunderstand it by trying to learn without any framework...I see this happen even with 1st year med students trying to study for Step 1.
-You're being a gunner, which is a bad thing. Nobody likes to be around someone that makes their prep look inferior, when it's really not.

That's besides everything else, like how miserable you're going to be in the future when you've peed away your free time doing meaningless things, or how you can't possibly take the "little bit every day for 4 years" approach because your knowledge base is so absent that you'll spend 4 years forgetting and re-learning the same 0.1% of Step 1 information over and over again.

Do not study for step 1 right now , under any circumstances. There is no strategy behind studying for step 1 now that can benefit you

I sincerely hope this is just good old trolling, but just in case it isn't...
If I am correct you are supposed to start medical school in 4-5 years, correct? Which means you are likely to be taking Step 1 in 6-7 years?
Studying for it now is ridiculous on so many levels that I don't know where to start:
- you probably don't even have the necessary pre-medical knowledge to do any productive studying
- without any form of guidance you cannot possibly know what is relevant to know
- the exams may change dramatically in that many years
- you may not even get into medical school if you study for Step 1 instead of your college courses
- you won't remember anything you study at this time
- things covered by Step 1 are not the basics of medicine; generally you need the background knowledge; you can't just take FA or RR Pathology or BRS Physiology (judging by your post, I will assume you already know what these are) and learn anything - that's not the purpose of these books

but sure, if you get more pleasure from reading FA and pretending you are studying for USMLE; instead of going to Florida to enjoy the summer with your friends; go ahead. Before you start college the one thing you need to do is - enjoy your time - if that means reading random facts about polyartheritis nodosa, great!

I already waste to much time playing games, league of legends, too nerdy need to do something else, I took a physics class this summer and passed it with an A I'm trying to keep a 4.0 in college.

Are you saying memorizing random facts is a waste of time with out a clear frame work?

I already waste to much time playing games, league of legends, too nerdy need to do something else, I took a physics class this summer and passed it with an A I'm trying to keep a 4.0 in college.

Are you saying memorizing random facts is a waste of time with out a clear frame work?

I am saying doing anything 6 years in advance is waste of time. And yes, you need a framework. You can't just open immunology section of first aid and read:
SCID - Several types including defective IL-2R gamma chain (most common, X-linked), adenosine deaminase deficiency (autosomal recessive); decreased T-cell receptor excision circles (TRECs); absence of thymic shadow (CXR)

It is not going to work!

Having fun does not equal wasting time. You will learn to appreciate free time when you actually get into medical school. Go to the bar, lol.

And if you have to do something medically related (with the alternative being going insane) - take a 1st aid/CPR course with your local Red Cross or something - anything else is ridiculous. Pre-studying is ridiculous. In fact a person I know pre-studied anatomy all summer before M1 - ended up retaking anatomy. Why? Because she developed wrong study habits and couldn't learn things properly when she needed to. Just do one thing at the time and you will be fine (like everyone else).

Trust me, chasing girls is more fun than learning immunodeficiencies (you will figure that when you actually have to learn immunodeficiencies and can't go chasing girls instead).

Dude why is this hard for you to understand? Can you take a step back and be logical? You have multiple standardized exams you will have to pass over the next 8 years to become a physician. What's the first one? MCAT. Why in the world are you thinking about step 1? Look I'm just going to be honest with you, you don't have the knowledge to comprehend 95% of what you read while studying for step 1.

You're like pre-med squared in terms of delusion right now.

Here's an idea..
Don't worry about any of these exams until you need to! A 4.0/45 doesn't guarantee a med school acceptance. If you're bored, start volunteering. Get your cna and work with people. Doing what you're doing now won't help you. And an FYI, blunt memorization isn't going to help you much for most exams/classes. Especially when you're presented with a question that forces you to take a conceptual approach.

Here's an idea..
Don't worry about any of these exams until you need to! A 4.0/45 doesn't guarantee a med school acceptance. If you're bored, start volunteering. Get your cna and work with people. Doing what you're doing now won't help you. And an FYI, blunt memorization isn't going to help you much for most exams/classes. Especially when you're presented with a question that forces you to take a conceptual approach.
When did I say the word guarantee? Nothing is guarnteed, you need good stats and extracurricular activities in order to be considered for an interview. A 4.0 does not guarantee acceptance but it is better than having a 3.0 and applying to med school then your chances are even lowered. And an Mcat score of 45 is almost a guarantee to a medical school, just pass your interview.

Get a head start on Organic Chemistry first!

Then study for the MCAT..

But if you're REALLY that bored then I suggest getting a head start in Anatomy. Emphasis on head start... Lol.

Then start volunteering. Check out your local houses of worship for plenty of opportunities.

Undergrad physiology will not, in any way, help you with med school physiology. Relax and enjoy your summer. Enjoy college.

I'm just speechless someone that hasn't even started undergrad, so they're not even close to getting into medical school, would want to study for step 1.

I'm just speechless someone that hasn't even started undergrad, so they're not even close to getting into medical school, would want to study for step 1.

Heck I didn't even want to study for step 1 when I had to take step 1. A few months is long enough to get burned out. 6 years is laughable.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm kind of disappointed in some adults here encouraging an underaged person to "go to bars" and "get drunk". Shall we stick to the constructive suggestions?

OP, I'm certain you did well in high school, but that doesn't necessarily translate to college unless, perhaps, you did some kind of duel enrollment program. Be advised that good study skills are a must.

I know you're bored now, but in a few weeks you will have more than enough to do. Get involved in campus activities from the get go. Find some clubs.

I'm kind of disappointed in some adults here encouraging an underaged person to "go to bars" and "get drunk". Shall we stick to the constructive suggestions?

OP, I'm certain you did well in high school, but that doesn't necessarily translate to college unless, perhaps, you did some kind of duel enrollment program. Be advised that good study skills are a must.

I know you're bored now, but in a few weeks you will have more than enough to do. Get involved in campus activities from the get go. Find some clubs.

You're pre-med. Getting drunk and going to bars will absolutely 100000 % for sure do more for his medical school career at this point than studying for step 1.

Take a step back. You do not need to be studying for the USMLE or even the MCAT at this point.

Concentrate on your classes this semester. Get involved at your university. Have fun with your required "fluff" classes. Join some clubs, go to football games, etc. you will not have this opportunity again. Most universities will have pre-med clubs. Join it.

You need to make sure you can handle a university load before developing a MCAT study schedule. Summer classes are very different than regular semester classes. Do not worry about studying for the MCAT this first semester.

Do not study by just memorizing. You need to understand the material. You may think you can just memorize a bunch of facts and be fine, but this is not the case.

The USMLE is for medical students to worry about. Studying for it during undergrad will not help you at all. It will not help you get into medical school. Interviewer and admission committees will not be impressed. Do not buy first aid now.

Some undergrad classes that I found helpful for medical school: histology, physiology, anatomy, medical microbiology. Biochem would not be a bad idea.

Your time would be better spent volunteering, studying, and doing fun stuff!

You're pre-med. Getting drunk and going to bars will absolutely 100000 % for sure do more for his medical school career at this point than studying for step 1.

Getting wasted isn't exactly everyone's idea of fun.

OP, I sincerely hope you are joking, it's too early to start studying for the MCAT let alone the USMLE. If you are really that bored, do as others have suggested and go volunteer or get a job.

not sure if trolling , but you should just review bio/chem for freshman year if anything

Take a step back. You do not need to be studying for the USMLE or even the MCAT at this point.

Concentrate on your classes this semester. Get involved at your university. Have fun with your required "fluff" classes. Join some clubs, go to football games, etc. you will not have this opportunity again. Most universities will have pre-med clubs. Join it.

You need to make sure you can handle a university load before developing a MCAT study schedule. Summer classes are very different than regular semester classes. Do not worry about studying for the MCAT this first semester.

Do not study by just memorizing. You need to understand the material. You may think you can just memorize a bunch of facts and be fine, but this is not the case.

The USMLE is for medical students to worry about. Studying for it during undergrad will not help you at all. It will not help you get into medical school. Interviewer and admission committees will not be impressed. Do not buy first aid now.

Some undergrad classes that I found helpful for medical school: histology, physiology, anatomy, medical microbiology. Biochem would not be a bad idea.

Biochem will probably be pretty much required everywhere by the time OP applies.

But I agree. Adcoms won't be impressed if it's brought up in an interview.

I also mentioned something about blunt memorization. It might work for high school, but sooo many people get a reality check quickly once college classes start that it just doesn't work.

When did I say the word guarantee? Nothing is guarnteed, you need good stats and extracurricular activities in order to be considered for an interview. A 4.0 does not guarantee acceptance but it is better than having a 3.0 and applying to med school then your chances are even lowered. And an Mcat score of 45 is almost a guarantee to a medical school, just pass your interview.

Yes, so go work on those ECs in the meantime.

Getting wasted isn't exactly everyone's idea of fun.

OP, I sincerely hope you are joking, it's too early to start studying for the MCAT let alone the USMLE. If you are really that bored, do as others have suggested and go volunteer or get a job.

I never said it was. That doesn't change the fact that on average, doing that would yield more for someone fresh out of high school than studying for step 1.

I never said it was. That doesn't change the fact that on average, doing that would yield more for someone fresh out of high school than studying for step 1.
I see what you mean, but one will make OP look like a massive nerd gunner and the other might kill the inexperienced drinker, so they should just enjoy the rest of their summer in a responsible and rational way.

Thank you for your suggestions,

I would like to mention that I have taken ap classes in chemistry and biology and physics. I decided to not apply to universities but a community college instead, I feel in community college I will have more choices. I'm planing to take all the classes you listed unfortunately histology and pathology isn't available at my community college. Any advice on how to take these courses?

There is a class called introduction to health technologies it talks about disease and basic medical terminology. What do you think would this class be fun at a community college?

I would like to mention that I have taken ap classes in chemistry and biology and physics. I decided to not apply to universities but a community college instead, I feel in community college I will have more choices.
What leads you to believe that?

I would like to mention that I have taken ap classes in chemistry and biology and physics. I decided to not apply to universities but a community college instead, I feel in community college I will have more choices. I'm planing to take all the classes you listed unfortunately histology and pathology isn't available at my community college. Any advice on how to take these courses?

There is a class called introduction to health technologies it talks about disease and basic medical terminology. What do you think would this class be fun at a community college?

Some schools don't accept CC credits. Just be aware of this.

This is one of the chapters HTEC covers

http://facultyfiles.deanza.edu/gems/hasselpatricia/termtel1.pdf

What do you think?

I have the Option to "TAG" universities: UC DAVIS, UCSC etc. I can build my study habits so i'm fully prepared for University level.
So you plan to transfer. Like the poster above stated: some schools won't take prerequisite credits from community colleges.