Highschool Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you plan to transfer. Like the poster above stated: some schools won't take prerequisite credits from community colleges.

By Schools are you referring to "Medical School" or Undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools. As far as I know, you shouldn't have trouble transferring credits.

I Agree with you, it's usually more Frowned upon when you are in a 4 year and start doing your pre req at community college. Other wise its okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med schools. As far as I know, you shouldn't have trouble transferring credits.

My undergrad didn't accept all CC credits. Sometimes you found yourself repeating courses for your degree because the university didn't find them to be equivalent.

I Agree with you, it's usually more Frowned upon when you are in a 4 year and start doing your pre req at community college. Other wise its okay.

At some schools it's not just "frowned upon". Also many of the schools that do accept cc credit still prefer if you have upper division courses at a 4 year in pre-req subjects.

It really depends.

On what? The med school? Yes it does depend on the med school. As someone who goes to a UC and knows people who are applying to md schools now after having transferred from a cc, you should keep all your options open and that means planning on taking upper div courses in pre-req subjects.

I'm not sure what schools you're interested in (probably primarily the UCs, right?). But Johns Hopkins doesn't accept AP credit for bio, I'm sure they're not alone. Just another thing to be conscious of. Makes me glad I only got credit for AP Calc xD

I'm not sure what schools you're interested in (probably primarily the UCs, right?). But Johns Hopkins doesn't accept AP credit for bio, I'm sure they're not alone. Just another thing to be conscious of. Makes me glad I only got credit for AP Calc xD

Oh i waived my AP Credits because many schools dont accept it. i'm starting normally.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends.

Absolutely.
For example, Temple accepts CC credit, but apparently for only 2 pre-req courses only.
MOST want to see upper level courses at the university level, but you already are prepared for that.

MCB majors don't need upper div chem or physics or math, I'm fairly sure you can take all those after you transfer though. Just some advice from someone who's seen transfers come in confident with their credits and then realize some schools they're applying to won't accept their classes.

Get a job. Start volunteering. Have fun. Get experiences from things other than just school. :) You have a long road ahead - enjoy the fun times while you can!

Thank you for your suggestions,

I would like to mention that I have taken ap classes in chemistry and biology and physics. I decided to not apply to universities but a community college instead, I feel in community college I will have more choices. I'm planing to take all the classes you listed unfortunately histology and pathology isn't available at my community college. Any advice on how to take these courses?

There is a class called introduction to health technologies it talks about disease and basic medical terminology. What do you think would this class be fun at a community college?

Go to a 4 year university and not community college. You have more class options and more to get involved with. Be aware that med school admins do not like seeing CC pre-reqs. Why transfer when you could start out at a university? I do not know what "more choices" you think you will have at a CC. Taking those AP classes will mean nothing. The amount of material covered in college classes is a lot more in less time.

Go to a 4 year university and not community college. You have more class options and more to get involved with. Be aware that med school admins do not like seeing CC pre-reqs. Why transfer when you could start out at a university? I do not know what "more choices" you think you will have at a CC. Taking those AP classes will mean nothing. The amount of material covered in college classes is a lot more in less time.

I think OP is starting this fall so it's a little late for them to go to a 4 year now.

You researched USMLE but did not research how doing coursework at CC looks to med schools? o_O

Reactions: 1 user
This is your summer after senior year and you're bored? You're doing something wrong.

Did anyone consider that OP is just a troll?

Reactions: 4 users

I did, i found out that its fully possible to attend a 4 year with CC credits and go to medical school with those credits.

MCB majors don't need upper div chem or physics or math, I'm fairly sure you can take all those after you transfer though. Just some advice from someone who's seen transfers come in confident with their credits and then realize some schools they're applying to won't accept their classes.

Applying to UCs Requires those courses.

When did I say the word guarantee? Nothing is guarnteed, you need good stats and extracurricular activities in order to be considered for an interview. A 4.0 does not guarantee acceptance but it is better than having a 3.0 and applying to med school then your chances are even lowered. And an Mcat score of 45 is almost a guarantee to a medical school, just pass your interview.

OP, can I PM you so you can chance me when you're free.

:bow:

Sure i will do it. But i'm not even in med school, i have read lots of articles on acceptance, maybe i can chance you.

Haha that was missed sarcasm at it's finest. No worries though OP, you're still a youngin.

On a serious note: I understand you're eagerness. You're passionate about starting a career in medicine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with skimming through a USMLE book at barnes and nobles, it's fascinating and inspiring, but don't try and study it. It's graduate level information. With no foundation (which is necessary to understand most of what is going on in that book) you will not understand 1) what things mean and 2) how to process them.

I agree with the above posters OP, it's imperative you find some hobbies or passions. Try finding a summer job. Volunteer for the Red Cross, some cancer society, perhaps the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation for America?

If you want to start on anything, buy an MCAT prep book and skim over it. Make it your best friend for the next two years and use it as a guide for your requisite courses.

Good luck!

I appreciate it. But I'm going to take the advice of those who are apart of the admissions process for medical schools.

On a serious note: I understand you're eagerness. You're passionate about starting a career in medicine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with skimming through a USMLE book at barnes and nobles, but don't try and study it. It's graduate level information. With no foundation (which is necessary to understand most of what is going on in that book) you will not understand 1) what things mean and 2) how to process them.

I agree with the above posters OP, it's imperative you find some hobbies or passions. Try finding a summer job. Volunteer for the Red Cross, some cancer society, perhaps the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation for America?

If you want to start on anything, buy an MCAT prep book and skim over it. Make it your best friend for the next two years and use it as a guide for your requisite courses.

Good luck!

Sounds too boring

I'm kind of disappointed in some adults here encouraging an underaged person to "go to bars" and "get drunk". Shall we stick to the constructive suggestions?

OP, I'm certain you did well in high school, but that doesn't necessarily translate to college unless, perhaps, you did some kind of duel enrollment program. Be advised that good study skills are a must.

I know you're bored now, but in a few weeks you will have more than enough to do. Get involved in campus activities from the get go. Find some clubs.
At least we aren't encouraging fighting...

Haha that was missed sarcasm at it's finest. No worries though OP, you're still a youngin.

On a serious note: I understand you're eagerness. You're passionate about starting a career in medicine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with skimming through a USMLE book at barnes and nobles, it's fascinating and inspiring, but don't try and study it. It's graduate level information. With no foundation (which is necessary to understand most of what is going on in that book) you will not understand 1) what things mean and 2) how to process them.

Good luck!

My question for you:

Do you recommend that i take a Health Technologies class at my community college. Please look at link.

http://facultyfiles.deanza.edu/gems/hasselpatricia/termtel1.pdf

That seems pretty interesting! I'd take it. That's a course that usually meant for allied health majors so it will not really fulfill anything but your own enjoyment.

Also OP I went to a CC first as well so no worries.

I know these trolls trying to screw with us. I have read that community college first than 4 year is not a disadvantage. But a 4 year than pre req at CC is a disadvantage.

Thanks for the advice. Good luck hope you get in!

Applying to UCs Requires those courses.

Applying to UCs doesn't require upper divs, I meant you can take all the upper divs in those subjects after you transfer along with mcb upper div requirements without it being a problem.

Applying to UCs doesn't require upper divs, I meant you can take all the upper divs in those subjects after you transfer along with mcb upper div requirements without it being a problem.

Higher chances of getting in, if upper division are done.

I know these trolls trying to screw with us. I have read that community college first than 4 year is not a disadvantage. But a 4 year than pre req at CC is a disadvantage.

Thanks for the advice. Good luck hope you get in!

LOL. They aren't trolls, these are 1) faculty who partake in the admissions committee 2) physicians 3) medical students who know the admissions process inside and out. Yes their advice comes sharply and/or bluntly but it's only to help you. :)

If you have the choice, go to a 4 year immediately. If you don't then yes, you don't have a choice and must go to a CC.

Thank you and good luck with starting college!

LOL. They aren't trolls, these are 1) faculty who partake in the admissions committee 2) physicians 3) medical students who know the admissions process inside and out. Yes their advice comes sharply and/or bluntly but it's only to help you. :)

If you have the choice, go to a 4 year immediately. If you don't then yes, you don't have a choice and must go to a CC.

Thank you and good luck with starting college!

Do you think your at a disadvantaged because you went to a community college?

So you plan on taking both lower and upper divs at your cc? The point of taking those upper divs at the 4 year is so that med schools won't doubt your abilities when it comes to your pre-reqs.

So you plan on taking both lower and upper divs at your cc? The point of taking those upper divs at the 4 year is so that med schools won't doubt your abilities when it comes to your pre-reqs.

The community college "De Anza" is known to be one of the thoughest and hardest CC out there in the Silicon Valley. I will have no doubt about the excellent education i will receive for my lower and upper divisions there.

Few community colleges use +/- signs A- means 3.7 at De Anza

Most med schools have no idea/do not care which cc you went to and if it's the "toughest and hardest", it's still a cc. Do not make a useless mistake, I go to UCB, I know several pre-meds who have transferred, all have taken upper divs in the pre-req subjects because they've done their research.

Most med schools have no idea/do not care which cc you went to and if it's the "toughest and hardest", it's still a cc. Do not make a useless mistake, I go to UCB, I know several pre-meds who have transferred, all have taken upper divs in the pre-req subjects because they've done their research.

So i'm sure your familiar with the area then.

Would you recommend taking all these courses at de anza?

http://web1.assist.org/web-assist/r...a=DAC&oia=UCB&aay=13-14&ay=14-15&dora=MCELLBI

LMFAO Bro, I seriously hope you are a troll.

If not, then I am LOLLLING on so many levels. This is exactly what I mean when I say premeds are fools. OMG HILARIOUS. USMLE AFTER HIGH SCHOOL? HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAH

See I will need to take biochemistry at a university and other uppers vision not available at community college. Will I be okay?

LMFAO Bro, I seriously hope you are a troll.

If not, then I am LOLLLING on so many levels. This is exactly what I mean when I say premeds are fools. OMG HILARIOUS. USMLE AFTER HIGH SCHOOL? HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAH

Trolls type in all caps ;)

How exactly would I be a troll?

Never said you are one, but the topic switched from usmle to courses I would need to take at college. You just read the first post. You make your self look like a fool when you replied. No offense. I'm only asking for advice .

You have to take those to be able to transfer so I don't think you have much say in the matter, my only recommendation is that you take upperdivs in chem, bio, physics. Biochem at UCB counts as the second half of the gen-chem series, so then you've got one upperdiv that you plan to do if you transfer.

You have to take those to be able to transfer so I don't think you have much say in the matter, my only recommendation is that you take upperdivs in chem, bio, physics. Biochem at UCB counts as the second half of the gen-chem series, so then you've got one upperdiv that you plan to do if you transfer.

Oh than we are in the same page lol, there is no upper division in de anza! Thank you for the advice!

No you made yourself look like a fool by making a thread like this. I knew in high school what the USMLE was (family members as physicians) but I never even thought about studying this kind of stuff at that age. HA.