hire a patient to clean your house?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hire a patient to work in your home?

• Total voters

BoonDoc23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I live in a rural town and upon my mother's urging I am wanting to hire a cleaning lady. The first woman I asked was all booked up. The next woman I asked (referred by someone at my church) I had seen once for an office visit. Can't remember if she is scheduled to see me again. The third person I called, a member my church congregation, wants to be my patient. She has been an acquaintance of mine for a couple of years. Her old doctor is retiring or something. She also says her daughter would like to see me too. Anyone else hire someone to work around the house who you're kind of friendly with and also manage medically? I trained in a city where it would have been easier to not hire a patient...

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this is the essence of a rural town. No way around it. You will just need to be clear that you cannot give medical advice out of the office as people tend to slip and try to get free advice and Rx on the side, etc without having to pay for a visit. As long as you can do that, should be fine. I have worked in a very small town (1500 residents) and the lines tend to blur as you see your patients everywhere you go, the store, the movies, the coffee shop, the town meetings. Just how it is. I think your priest would have the same issue, hears confessions then has to mingle and see patrons in public too. It will be ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've had business relationships with patients before. You just have to avoid any semblance of quid pro quo, and realize that if the business relationship goes sour, you'll probably lose them as a patient.