Hiring new doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA-CtoMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an afternoon medication management followup practice. The visits are all 15 minutes. I also do inpatient work in the morning which includes ECT and seeing patients on the wards. I would like to hire three doctors to work in my clinic. One doctor would work full-time during the weekdays, one child psychiatrist on Saturdays, and the other part-time on weekdays, in the evenings. I don't plan to see any of the patients in my clinic. I am just going to oversee the practice (I guess one can call it administrative stuff). I spent a LOT of money on my clinic (some remodeling etc). So, I have a pretty big bill to pay. How do you think my practice would do? I am just curious to see what you think?

Also how long does it take to hire doctors and get them on board seeing patients?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you think my practice would do? I am just curious to see what you think?

I don't mean this in a snarky way...but you really should have but together a business plan to evaluate the cost/benefit of a remodel before doing it. That being said...you should take the middle 50% for gross billing and then knock 15-20% off of that estimate (for at least the first 6 months) and then you'll have a better idea of what you realistically can expect in the first year. Rarely do people get out of the gate running, so you need to plan/expect that.

*edit*

Also...don't expect to re-coup your re-model expenses unless you go after a completely different payor mix because much like re-modeling your home...rarely do people get $1:1 value for their investment for aesthetics. You can see greater profits from adding providers, but don't expect that you'll make it back on your fees.

Last edited:
Are you going to sublet to the other docs or take care of all admin work? Thanks for sharing what you do. Being an MD really helps open up a lot of opportunities!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going to sublet to the other docs or take care of all admin work? Thanks for sharing what you do. Being an MD really helps open up a lot of opportunities!

I am thinking about subletting. However, not sure if they can afford it. the doctor that I want to hire full-time will be straight out of residency. Possibly start in July. The child psychiatrist I will hire will still be completing his child psych fellowship. He is in his last year.

Interesting. So what % cut will you be taking of their collections? 30%

I am still trying to decide on the cuts. How do you think it will work out? Am I being reasonable to not see patients and just have other docs work for me? I haven't seen this done very often. In my community doctors that employ doctors still see patients.

Hi,

I have an afternoon medication management followup practice. The visits are all 15 minutes. I also do inpatient work in the morning which includes ECT and seeing patients on the wards. I would like to hire three doctors to work in my clinic. One doctor would work full-time during the weekdays, one child psychiatrist on Saturdays, and the other part-time on weekdays, in the evenings. I don't plan to see any of the patients in my clinic. I am just going to oversee the practice (I guess one can call it administrative stuff). I spent a LOT of money on my clinic (some remodeling etc). So, I have a pretty big bill to pay. How do you think my practice would do? I am just curious to see what you think?

Also how long does it take to hire doctors and get them on board seeing patients?

so I would sign/code a ton of inpatient charts at some hospital where you have a large contract(and you take a cut of course with minimal to no overhead there), leave by 11 or so, and then head over to your outpt setup where I stack and whack as fast as I can and have you take another cut?

Where do I sign up?

Make sure to have them sign a non-compete for the area. You don't want them to use your practice as a springboard to build up their patient base right out of training and then see them walk them all out the door to a fancy new office down the street.