History of neurology as a specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbsenceSeizure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I forget the exact context, but sometime ago I heard that neurology was once a subspecialty of internal medicine, that is, it was like cardiology, nephrology, and so forth are today. First of all, is that true? Secondly, and if so, when and why did neurology become its own distinct field?

Relatedly, if anyone can recommend a good resource or two whereby to appreciate the history of neurology, please do share. I find that learning the story of how we've reached the point we have affords us the chance to infuse meaning/purpose into the work.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should read about Charcot since he is considered the father of neurology.

Yes, Neurology used to be a subspecialty of IM. Probably in the 50's or earlier because I don't know any current docs trained under that system.

I've read two good historical neurology books. Medical Muses tells the tale of a few of the more famous "hysterics" that Charcot "treated" at the Salpetriere using things like hypnosis and some contraption that would put pressure on the ovaries. His patients will be quite familiar to anyone who has taken care of a patient with non-epileptiform seizures. There are also references to some of Charcot's more famous pupils like Babinski and Tourette in the book. The other good book I read was a biography of Wilder Penfield. I think there are a few out there, I'm not sure which one I read specifically. For those who are unfamiliar, Penfield is the one who first described the homunculus in the human and was a real epilepsy surgery pioneer. Early in his career he sailed across the Atlantic with his family to work with Ramon y Cajal basically without an invitation. He also worked in Germany with a famous neurosurgeon (whose name I'm blanking on). When he returned to the States he somehow convinced Rockefeller to give him a huge amount of grant money to start the Montreal Neurologic Institute.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Laureno's biography of Raymond D. Adams is a good one as well, if you're interested in more modern history. I might be biased, though.

By the way, I think Foerster was the german neurosurgeon who befriended Penfield. Foerster came up with the hyperventilation test for seizures. I think he was also Lenin's personal neurologist, if I'm not mistaken.

I liked "Garrison's History of Neurology" by McHenry. It wasn't too bad a read and swiftly covers the history neurological surgery and neurological medicine. It doesn't contain excrutiating detail. Another is in the Handbook to Clinical Neurology series (Vol 95) titled "History of Neurology" by Finger and Boller. I have only read sections of this one. Very dense and comprehensive, but quite enjoyable and readable.

Both books can be expensive and you may have to hunt for awhile to find affordable copies.