HKU MBBS 2013 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8jmyl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had my interview today, and thought it went terrible. Just wondering how everyone else felt.

Also, does anyone know when we should expect to hear back?

Members don't see this ad.

I had mine on the 10th...yeah caught me off guard. Then again I was kind of lazy in preparing for it...but was afraid of being 100% sincere. They really rushed me :(
In hindsight, I should have prepared more for it because I may have given off an impression where I don't really have a passion for medicine. I couldn't tell them the real truth because that would make me seem crazy/immature. I'll let you know if I hear anything back from them.

I went to the HKU interview on the 10th too, it was definitely a tough interview.

Did anyone receive any news from HKU/CUHK yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose you guys are underG/postG because the interview date is in June.I know people who are studying there having underG/postG from overseas. The game is tough and I suspect you have underrated the importance of the interview -- it is crucial !

In HK, academic results is the single most important factor in med school application. CUHK takes it further and said they expected incredible gpa for grads application ( they basically do not want non-jupas and compete with HKU for the highest calibered students abroad -- though they grossly overrate themselves as most would prefer HKU with an arguably ?established school.)

If you do not hear within a few weeks post HKU interview, you are either 1. rejected or 2. on waiting list. They took in waiting list and snatch a few from CUHK freshman as late as Sept. last year due to the double cohort and the need to fill ALL places -- no such luck this year. HKU goes for all-roundedness and diversity, and their PBL more lively. Good luck in ur pursuit of the medical dreams :)

I received an offer for HKU MBBS today. Good luck to fellow applicants and hope to see you in September!

I received an offer for HKU MBBS today. Good luck to fellow applicants and hope to see you in September!

I also received my offer from HKU MBBS (non-jupas) on Friday. Best of luck of luck to everyone still waiting!

8jmyl: Congratulations on your acceptance! Are you also a non-jupas applicant? :) Looking forward to seeing/meeting you in September.

Congratulations Kiwwwi! I'm a non-jupas applicant from Canada. Yourself?

Congrats to you guys who got an offer!!
Still waiting nervously! I am checking like twice everyday >_<

Thanks yqxy15!

I'm sure you'll get good news soon :) Best of luck.

Just had my interview today, and thought it went terrible. Just wondering how everyone else felt.

Also, does anyone know when we should expect to hear back?

Hi, I am a junior studying Biochemistry in the US. I am from Hong Kong and I want to apply to HKU and CUHK med as a degree holder in 2014. I wonder if you can tell me your statistics so that I can strengthen mine too before applying. Million thanks!

I had mine on the 10th...yeah caught me off guard. Then again I was kind of lazy in preparing for it...but was afraid of being 100% sincere. They really rushed me :(
In hindsight, I should have prepared more for it because I may have given off an impression where I don't really have a passion for medicine. I couldn't tell them the real truth because that would make me seem crazy/immature. I'll let you know if I hear anything back from them.

Hi, I am a junior studying Biochemistry in the US. I am from Hong Kong and I want to apply to HKU and CUHK med as a degree holder in 2014. I wonder if you can tell me your statistics so that I can strengthen mine before applying. Million thanks!

Hello guys! :)
I got my offer for HKU in Feb (fast-track). Can't wait to see you all in Sept :D

Hi, I am a junior studying Biochemistry in the US. I am from Hong Kong and I want to apply to HKU and CUHK med as a degree holder in 2014. I wonder if you can tell me your statistics so that I can strengthen mine too before applying. Million thanks!

Pretty average/below average marks. Graduated with 85% UBC, haven't written MCAT yet so I was surprised I was offered an interview. Will write MCAT and reapply. Maybe I'll see you in the interview next year :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys! :)
I got my offer for HKU in Feb (fast-track). Can't wait to see you all in Sept :D

Can you tell me sth about your application? Are you undergraduate? Written MCAT? Any research experience/published paper? GPA for undergraduate? Million thanks!

Pretty average/below average marks. Graduated with 85% UBC, haven't written MCAT yet so I was surprised I was offered an interview. Will write MCAT and reapply. Maybe I'll see you in the interview next year :)

I'm sorry so you didn't pass the interview?

I also received my offer from HKU MBBS (non-jupas) on Friday. Best of luck of luck to everyone still waiting!

8jmyl: Congratulations on your acceptance! Are you also a non-jupas applicant? :) Looking forward to seeing/meeting you in September.

Hey when did you guys get interviewed? I had mine on June 10th and am still waiting for a response...

Hi D H,

I had my interview on June 11. I'm sure you'll hear back soon :) Best of luck!

May I ask where you're from? And how did they contact you?

I am from Canada (Ontario) - and they contacted me by email initially. Then after 2 or 3 days, my online application status changed to "firm offer"

Anyone from the US hear back yet?

Anyone from the US hear back yet?

I am from US but I have not heard anything yet either. According to HKU webiste, if we did not get notification by mid July, we might have to wait until late August to hear back the result. Hope we still have chances!

I am from US but I have not heard anything yet either. According to HKU webiste, if we did not get notification by mid July, we might have to wait until late August to hear back the result. Hope we still have chances!

Yeah I guess so...I hate waiting so much, lol. Where part of the US are you from? I'm from NY

Yeah I guess so...I hate waiting so much, lol. Where part of the US are you from? I'm from NY

LOL same here! I just want an answer! (hopefully a good one :D) I am from CA btw

LOL same here! I just want an answer! (hopefully a good one :D) I am from CA btw

When was your interview? Mine was June 10th. I check my status everyday since like you, haha.

Canadian applicant here, still under consideration for both schools. I'm checking my status everyday too (more like every hour) the wait seriously sucks, I'm taking the MCAT on the 9th and I can't focus on studying at all.

I think Kiwwwi got offers from both schools already (I just saw your post on the other forum, I didn't stalk you I swear!). So I guess if nothing by the end of this week then most likely waitlisted...

On the bright side of things, last year a few applicants got their offers as late as September 13, a few days after school started so there's still hope!

Canadian applicant here, still under consideration for both schools. I'm checking my status everyday too (more like every hour) the wait seriously sucks, I'm taking the MCAT on the 9th and I can't focus on studying at all.

I think Kiwwwi got offers from both schools already (I just saw your post on the other forum, I didn't stalk you I swear!). So I guess if nothing by the end of this week then most likely waitlisted...

On the bright side of things, last year a few applicants got their offers as late as September 13, a few days after school started so there's still hope!

Hey xenox2 i hope u can get an offer! :)
Do u mind telling which forum that was? It's very quiet here...

Hey xenox2,

I didn't receive an offer for CUHK yet - my application status still says "under consideration". I did however get an email from them asking for final documents - chinese/english proficiency and transcripts. Not too sure what that is about ..

Anyway, I haven't heard anything since I sent off that stuff by email last night. Will let everyone know when I do.

PS. good luck on the MCAT! I was supposed to write on the 16th but cancelled it. Rooting for you :)

5328: I was referring to the student room, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=116 but it's been pretty quiet there too.

Kiwwwi, if they ask for final documents it should mean they're ready to give you an offer, you should get the offer within a few days after you send in documents, and then of course you should decline it right away to free up the spot for us who are still waiting :)

When was your interview? Mine was June 10th. I check my status everyday since like you, haha.

My interview was on the 10th as well. I think there were only two dates for interview, 10th and 11th for regular non-jupas. Mine was at afternoon. I waited until an hour after the appointment time to get interviewed lol.

xenox2,

If this indeed is the case I will most definitely decline right away to allow space for another deserving candidate. :)

5328: I was referring to the student room, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=116 but it's been pretty quiet there too.

Kiwwwi, if they ask for final documents it should mean they're ready to give you an offer, you should get the offer within a few days after you send in documents, and then of course you should decline it right away to free up the spot for us who are still waiting :)

Good luck on your MCAT! Don't let the nerves get to you and you will do fine! I suggest that you go to the room a little early so they can call you into the testing room before other people, so you can finish early. You will definitely feel tired but very relived afterwards.

xenox2,

If this indeed is the case I will most definitely decline right away to allow space for another deserving candidate. :)

Very considerate of you! But unfortunately I am not from Hong Kong so I cannot apply to CUHK this year...:(

Calling the admission offices for either school isn't very helpful either...you don't find out anything you don't already know,and in the end they just tell you to keep checking the site...

My interview was on the 10th as well. I think there were only two dates for interview, 10th and 11th for regular non-jupas. Mine was at afternoon. I waited until an hour after the appointment time to get interviewed lol.

Did you happen to graduate from USC? I remember talking to someone from USC that day, lol

Did you happen to graduate from USC? I remember talking to someone from USC that day, lol

Nah, I am not from USC. I only met one other person from CA that day. A lot of people are from all over the world, like UK, Australia, etc. It's quite interesting.

Hi, are there any degree holder here who can tell me if they submit the application with MCAT result? In other words, do you think MCAT is necessary for applying to HKU and CUHK medicine?

For both schools MCAT is not required but will be considered if you submit the results.

My previous MCAT score was only average but I still submitted my results to both schools.

I think CUHK mentions somewhere that you should submit results from MCAT and any other public examinations if you have it.

It's probably better to submit an average score than not submitting it like you want to hide it from them. I don't think MCAT scores will have a big impact on the application anyway, unless it's a really good or really bad score.

I just got my admission offer from CUHK!
Still no word from HKU but I guess I'll accept CUHK's offer if I don't hear from HKU by the end of this week...I did bomb their interview afterall.

Good luck to everyone, hope I'll have a chance to work with you in the future!

Congratulations xenox2!! :) Will you still write your mcat as scheduled?

I also received an offer from CUHK but will decline to free up a space.

Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting.

Still no word from HKU but I guess I'll accept CUHK's offer if I don't hear from HKU by the end of this week...I did bomb their interview afterall.

Congrats!! Since I can't apply to CUHK, I guess HKU is the only hope! But the wait is so long :annoyed:

So if my MCAT is not stellar, i shouldn't submit it?

My suggestion is the same as that of xenox2. If you have already indicated on your application that you are taking MCAT, then I think it's the best to submit your score.

Does anyone know what the CUHK's "chinese language test" will test you on?
I still have to pass this test before I'm officially admitted so I want to make sure I'm prepared for it so I'm not taking any chances.

Thanks!

I still have to pass this test before I'm officially admitted so I want to make sure I'm prepared for it so I'm not taking any chances.

Thanks!

My friend took the that CUHK Chinese efficiency test last year. It tests both of your oral and writing skills. So basically someone comes in and converse with you in Cantonese first. Then he asks you to read a passage from newspaper. Lastly you need to write a few sentences. My friend speaks and reads Cantonese, but he doesn't write much. He still passed that test without a problem. I have read somewhere that most people taking that test pass it. So don't worry, you will do fine! Hope this info is helpful. Congrats again! :)

Thanks for the info yqxy15!
That was very helpful since it sounds like it's a test I should be able to pass, so now I don't feel so nervous resigning from my full time job and booking my flight to Hong Kong with a "conditional offer".

Still have to write my MCAT this Friday though since it's too late to get a refund now I might as well write it just in case...definitely glad the pressure is less though!

Hey xenox2,

I also have a friend of a friend who wrote this test, and she had absolutely no working knowledge of chinese in the written and reading sense. I think she was able to carry on a conversation, but nothing much more than that.

But anyway, she passed and is now in the 5th year.

I'm sure you'll do great! :D

Thanks!