Program-Specific Info / Q's Hofstra 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhoolove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone applying to Hofstra's OT Program for Fall 2015? They are not fully accredited yet, I am just curious to know if anyone else is applying..

Members don't see this ad.

I might apply for next year, but I'm not sure how long the program is? Is it a full 3 years? It just says 6 semesters (including a summer) and 6 month fieldwork.

How do you apply for next year? It only has an option for this year and that's why I was so confused..

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming it's going to go up once the fall semester starts?

I will be applying to Hofstra! I was so excited to see that they were accepting for this upcoming Fall, I didn't even know they had an OT program but tbh, I am fine with attending any school that is accredited.. I contacted Dr.Countee and she said first day of classes will be held 9/2 so we need to get those apps in ASAP.

Accreditation Status
Hofstra University has been granted Candidacy Status by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), located at 4720 Montgomery Lane, Suite 200, Bethesda, MD 20814-3449. ACOTE’s telephone number c/o AOTA is (301) 652-AOTA, and its Web address is www.acoteonline.org.

What is candidacy status?

Oh nvm, I just looked it up.. for those who aren't sure of candidacy status it's on the acote website under developing schools:

• Programs having "Developing Program Status" or “Candidacy Status” have successfully completed Step 1 of the initial accreditation process and may admit students into the program.
  • Programs having “Preaccreditation Status” have successfully completed Steps 1 and 2 of the initial accreditation process. These programs would appear to meet the Standardsif fully implemented in accordance with the plans of the sponsoring institution. An on‑site evaluation will be conducted before the first class completes the academic curriculum.
- See more at: http://www.aota.org/Education-Caree...TMasters-Developing.aspx#sthash.VOpXEgoq.dpuf

There is a potential risk that the program wont get accredited and we won't be able to sit for the NBCOT exam :(

I need the prerequisite mechanical and structural kinesiology so won't be able to apply until fall 2016.

did anyone else apply here/ is the essay they want a separate one from the otcas essay?