HOFSTRA North Shore LIJ prereqs recommended

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlyaR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone can shed any light on this. The website, and a phone rep mentioned that their allopathic program recommends the typical bio/chem/orgo/physics prereqs and they are not required.

This interests me greatly since my sGPA puts me at a huge disadvantage (3.0). My cGPA is still below their average 3.6 (3.33) but my 35 MCAT is above their average.

I am a bit confused as to their leniency in sciences courses, since this is the first time I've seen something similar. Anyone know of anything about this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused as to what your question is. Are you asking us how much emphasis Hofstra puts on intro science grades? That would be hard to say. I definitely wouldn't correlate that to whether they "require" or "recommend" those classes.

The 10-90th percentile for sGPAs of acceptees is 3.1-3.9, with an avg of 3.6. Given they're a new school, and your MCAT is stellar, it's worth a crack, if $ is not an object. But for insurance, consider NYCOM and both NY TUCOMs.

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone can shed any light on this. The website, and a phone rep mentioned that their allopathic program recommends the typical bio/chem/orgo/physics prereqs and they are not required.

This interests me greatly since my sGPA puts me at a huge disadvantage (3.0). My cGPA is still below their average 3.6 (3.33) but my 35 MCAT is above their average.

I am a bit confused as to their leniency in sciences courses, since this is the first time I've seen something similar. Anyone know of anything about this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused as to what your question is. Are you asking us how much emphasis Hofstra puts on intro science grades? That would be hard to say. I definitely wouldn't correlate that to whether they "require" or "recommend" those classes.
Sorry, should have specified: Does the fact that they only recommend prereqs mean that they do not factor in sGPA into their admissions process?
The 10-90th percentile for sGPAs of acceptees is 3.1-3.9, with an avg of 3.6. Given they're a new school, and your MCAT is stellar, it's worth a crack, if $ is not an object. But for insurance, consider NYCOM and both NY TUCOMs.
Thank you!

Sorry, should have specified: Does the fact that they only recommend prereqs mean that they do not factor in sGPA into their admissions process?
Several schools do not have required pre-requisite courses. They still use the gpa to evaluate the applicant, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Several schools do not have required pre-requisite courses. They still use the gpa to evaluate the applicant, though.
Wasn't aware of this, thanks!