Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Hofstra University Med School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by hopefool, 10.22.07.

1. hopefool

hopefool New Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hello all,

So, during the summer I was reading about how the AMA was predicting a shortage of doctors in the year 2015 if admissions werent increased by about 30%. The solution to this problem was not said to be admitting more students but to open more med schools and Hofstra was listed as a possibility. It has now become a reality with the university announcing its cooperation with North Shore University hospital in opening a med school.

I read about some med schools opening up in similar fashion, to respond to a future shortage of doctors, in Florida and the competition to matriculate to these schools being considerably less intense. Does anyone know anything about this? or what it will be like when Hofstra eventually opens?

Does anyone actually even know or have any idea when Hofstra may open? and will preference be given to instaters or even Long Islanders?

Thanks!
  2. CoolHand

CoolHand

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I actually work at North Shore Hospital, and they are gonna be opening a med school with Hofstra. They expect to open it in Sept. 2010 or 2011 with a charter class of 30 students. I don't know whether they'll have any preference for Long Islanders but I'm sure it wouldnt hurt your app.
  3. Mandy22

Mandy22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    IN 2 years.....which, I think, means people applying next year can apply for the 1st year.
  4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    I don't think this part of your statement has been accurate for the last bunch of new schools, and won't be true for the next few. It is quite competitive to get into allo med schools, even the new ones. I wouldn't expect a wholesale dropping of standards at a new school close to NYC. Numbers have continued to go up this past year, notwithstanding many schools upping their number of seats. Half of all applicants will not get into med school even with a few new schools.

Also bear in mind that some of the "looming shortage" discussion is a smokescreen. There is some evidence (from 2005 speeches) that the LCME wants to increase US med school slots without increasing residency slots, to squeeze out some of the offshore folks.
  5. hopefool

hopefool New Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Yea, I read that somewhere but a lot of those "stories" are hardly ever accurate. I wasnt implying an easy way out approach to matriculation, I would however love to go to a local school and Hofstra would be great as I live 10-15 minutes away. Ive also volunteered at North Shore.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal