Hofstra University School of Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skbirdie510

Dr. K
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was reported that this school was going to open in 2011, but it's not listed on AMCAS...does anyone know what the status of that school is?

Members don't see this ad.

It was reported that this school was going to open in 2011, but it's not listed on AMCAS...does anyone know what the status of that school is?

The school is still waiting secure sufficient guaranteed clinical rotation slots. While it has signed an agreement with North Shore-LIJ Hospital group, which is huge, its is competing with NYU-SOM and Einstein-SOM. Both these schools are already in the majority of clinical rotations slots. Lastly, with a few city hospitals closing or reducing, some city schools, particularly Touro-COM in Harlem, are looking to pick up slots.

No, not sure when it will open

Members don't see this ad :)
The school is still waiting secure sufficient guaranteed clinical rotation slots. While it has signed an agreement with North Shore-LIJ Hospital group, which is huge, its is competing with NYU-SOM and Einstein-SOM. Both these schools are already in the majority of clinical rotations slots. Lastly, with a few city hospitals closing or reducing, some city schools, particularly Touro-COM in Harlem, are looking to pick up slots.

No, not sure when it will open

Also - NYCOM sends a lot of students to North shore University and North Shore LIJ for rotations, so I'm sure the number of slots available for Hofstra aren't enough with all these other schools already using them.

Based on LCME standards, they can't recruit students until they get primary accreditation. Last I heard they should know by mid June if they are getting primary status!

Based on LCME standards, they can't recruit students until they get primary accreditation. Last I heard they should know by mid June if they are getting primary status!

Oh good, so there's a shot I can apply there this year? It would be great, since I'm familiar with the school, and it's very very local. :)

Yup! I think there is a pretty good chance you will be able to apply, I really can't see why they would not get accreditation. LIJ is a great hospital system, and since it is a partnership they should be able to secure rotations for their students esp since the entering class will only be about 40 students!

Last edited:
it's listed now on amcas...does that mean its accredited now? Have other people added this school yet?

All NSLIJ facilities, to my knowledge, will become solely affiliated with Hofstra once the med school is up and running. I'm not sure about NYCOM, but I know for sure that NYU and Einstein are losing their 3rd year clerkship privileges at North Shore and LIJ effective immediately so that Hofstra can have the monopoly. Einstein students can still do their 4th year EM elective at North Shore and LIJ, but that will probably be temporary as well.

I work for North Shore-LIJ this year doing clinical research and the hospital system is a beast. It just took over Lenox Hill on the UES and let's just say that it probably won't be the only place in Manhattan that NSLIJ has a foothold. If the medical school is run anything like the hospital system, I would be willing to bet it will be a competitive mid-tier school in no time.

The school has preliminary accredidation, it's application is up on AMCAS. And since the school is a PARTNERSHIP with NSLIJ (not an affiliation) its students will get priority at NSLIJ sites. Sorry NYCOM, you don't exactly hold rank here. Just be glad you're not Einstein and getting kicked to the curb.

Last edited:
Hofstra Law grad here. I once had ideas of attending med school, hence the SDN account. Just thought I would share details of some information received via my Hofstra email account, regarding the "historical announcement" today.

Hofstra, North Shore-LIJ Receive Medical School Approvals

Hofstra University President Stuart Rabinowitz, North Shore-LIJ Health System Chief Executive Officer Michael Dowling, and Medical School Dean Lawrence G. Smith, MD, joined together today to announce that the School of Medicine has obtained the necessary accreditations to recruit its first class of 40 medical students. The School of Medicine will be accepting applications as of July 1, 2010, in order to enroll an initial class of 40 students who will begin their studies in summer 2011, creating New York State’s first new allopathic medical school since 1963.

The announcement came on the same day as the School of Medicine celebrated the opening of its new academic home, in what was once the headquarters of the New York Jets football franchise.

“We are delighted to witness our vision for an innovative School of Medicine become a reality, and are looking forward to recruiting our inaugural class,” said President Rabinowitz. “Our goal is to enhance all our academic programs and research opportunities in the sciences. The School of Medicine will lead the way and partner with the other schools and colleges at Hofstra and with our community to create integrated, interdisciplinary programs that benefit all students.”

“The opening of New York State’s first allopathic medical school in nearly 40 years is a monumental event in the history of the North Shore-LIJ Health System that will further elevate our national prominence,” said Mr. Dowling. “Not only will we be opening our own School of Medicine, but thanks to a highly innovative curriculum, it will transform the education of future physicians by putting students in patient-care settings from Day One.”

“This is the culmination of 2 1/2 years of planning, discussion and research, on the part of hundreds of people, to create a cutting-edge medical education curriculum that responds to the modern system of health care,” said Dr. Smith, who also serves as North Shore-LIJ’s chief medical officer. “This is not only the beginning of a new era for both Hofstra University and North Shore-LIJ Health System, it is also the end of a long process, a process in which we focused on patient care, on rigorous science, and on the health of our population, to come up with a new and innovative curriculum.”

On Tuesday, June 1, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) voted to grant the School of Medicine preliminary accreditation, which allows the School to begin recruiting an initial class for the next academic year. In order to receive accreditation, the following steps were completed:

* A modified medical educational database and a comprehensive self-study report was submitted to the LCME in December 2009;
* In March 2010, an LCME team completed a survey visit at the medical school and North Shore-LIJ facilities, and prepared a report of its findings for consideration by the LCME at its next regularly scheduled meeting;
* The LCME reviewed the survey team's report and determined that the program leading to the MD degree met the standards outlined in the LCME document, Guidelines for New and Developing Medical Schools; and
* At its June meeting, the LCME voted to grant preliminary accreditation to the program for an entering class in an upcoming academic year.

Over the past 2 1/2 years, hundreds of physicians, scholars, administrators and leaders from both Hofstra University and the North Shore-LIJ Health System had been engaged in creating a cutting-edge, scientifically rigorous, patient-centered medical school curriculum. These teams, led by Dr. Smith and his senior administrative team, created the documents, curriculum and guidelines that made up the self-study report, a 3,000 page document.

On Friday, June 4, the New York State Education Department’s Division of Professional Education gave final approval of the medical school’s educational program. Previously, at their April board meeting, the Regents of the State of New York granted the University the right to confer the MD degree. These two approvals provide the final authorization necessary to enroll an initial class.

The University also received approval from the State Education Department for its PhD program in molecular basis of medicine. The School of Medicine will offer a joint admission MD/PhD program starting in the fall of 2011.

The School of Medicine formally opened the new academic facility on June 8. The existing building, located on Hofstra University’s campus, is a 47,000-square-foot structure, which had been known as Weeb Ewbank Hall and had served as the New York Jets (NFL) administrative offices and training headquarters since the late 1960s. A $12.5 million New York State grant will fund a major renovation to convert the building into a state-of-the-art medical school building, equipped with a large lecture hall that can fit more than 100 students. The project’s architect is HLW and the general contractor was StructureTone.

“What has been especially beneficial for us and for our future students is that we were able to design the building according to our specific academic goals,” said Dr. Smith. “We started from scratch, and in partnership with our design and build teams, gutted the facility and built an academic facility from the ground up that worked to serve our pedagogy and our curriculum. In essence, the building was designed with our academic plan in mind.”

The new medical school’s first floor has four small seminar rooms, with eight additional seminar rooms located on the second floor. Each seminar room accommodates 8-12 students, serving as small meeting area that can be used for classes, group conferences or as study areas. All classrooms are fully equipped with the state-of-the-art presentation technology.

A large anatomy lab equipped with 18 tables and capacity for 100 students has been constructed, and includes a cadaver dissecting room and cold storage center.
In addition to the large scale lecture hall, the new medical school features four large class rooms, conference room space, a large library with private student study space, and administrative and faculty office space.

Additional details here: New School of Medicine to Enroll First Class in Summer 2011

[YOUTUBE]qtP9h_mHFOI[/YOUTUBE]

damn i'd love to go here. Historically do medical schools tend to have averages around 3.5/30 opening year? I figure this would be the case since not a lot of people know about Hofstra yet or are worried to go to a place without an established reputation/match-list?

damn i'd love to go here. Historically do medical schools tend to have averages around 3.5/30 opening year? I figure this would be the case since not a lot of people know about Hofstra yet or are worried to go to a place without an established reputation/match-list?
if you look at the new schools recently that opened in FL, TX, and others the averages and apps have still been high and right about the averages. Trust me theres enough people who desperatly want in and wont hesitate if given the chance:). You could except the averages to be around the 3.6/31 range that most lower to mid tier range schools are in now days.

I just watched the YouTube video posted above. It sounds like there's a lot of dedicated people behind this school that want it to be very successful. The two aspects of the curriculum that stand out to me are: (1) training all medical students to become EMTs so that they can work on North Shore LIJ ambulances and (2) the integration of faculty and student learning space so that there is a lot of interaction between faculty and students.

This school sounds great. Definitely going on my list!

Status
Not open for further replies.