About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Hofstra University School of Medicine?

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2014)' started by skbirdie510, May 17, 2010.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skbirdie510

skbirdie510 Dr. K

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    It was reported that this school was going to open in 2011, but it's not listed on AMCAS...does anyone know what the status of that school is?
  2. armybound

armybound future urologist. Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    moving to school-specific discussions.
  3. gonnif

gonnif Director, OldPreMeds.org Lifetime Donor

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The school is still waiting secure sufficient guaranteed clinical rotation slots. While it has signed an agreement with North Shore-LIJ Hospital group, which is huge, its is competing with NYU-SOM and Einstein-SOM. Both these schools are already in the majority of clinical rotations slots. Lastly, with a few city hospitals closing or reducing, some city schools, particularly Touro-COM in Harlem, are looking to pick up slots.

No, not sure when it will open
  4. christina30

christina30

Medical Student
    Also - NYCOM sends a lot of students to North shore University and North Shore LIJ for rotations, so I'm sure the number of slots available for Hofstra aren't enough with all these other schools already using them.
  5. Omel

Omel New Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Based on LCME standards, they can't recruit students until they get primary accreditation. Last I heard they should know by mid June if they are getting primary status!
  6. skbirdie510

skbirdie510 Dr. K

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oh good, so there's a shot I can apply there this year? It would be great, since I'm familiar with the school, and it's very very local. :)
  7. Omel

Omel New Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yup! I think there is a pretty good chance you will be able to apply, I really can't see why they would not get accreditation. LIJ is a great hospital system, and since it is a partnership they should be able to secure rotations for their students esp since the entering class will only be about 40 students!
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  8. ronaldo23

ronaldo23 The Truth

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    it's listed now on amcas...does that mean its accredited now? Have other people added this school yet?
  9. jleelee

jleelee MSIV

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    All NSLIJ facilities, to my knowledge, will become solely affiliated with Hofstra once the med school is up and running. I'm not sure about NYCOM, but I know for sure that NYU and Einstein are losing their 3rd year clerkship privileges at North Shore and LIJ effective immediately so that Hofstra can have the monopoly. Einstein students can still do their 4th year EM elective at North Shore and LIJ, but that will probably be temporary as well.

I work for North Shore-LIJ this year doing clinical research and the hospital system is a beast. It just took over Lenox Hill on the UES and let's just say that it probably won't be the only place in Manhattan that NSLIJ has a foothold. If the medical school is run anything like the hospital system, I would be willing to bet it will be a competitive mid-tier school in no time.
  10. Wepeel

Wepeel

Resident [Any Field]
    The school has preliminary accredidation, it's application is up on AMCAS. And since the school is a PARTNERSHIP with NSLIJ (not an affiliation) its students will get priority at NSLIJ sites. Sorry NYCOM, you don't exactly hold rank here. Just be glad you're not Einstein and getting kicked to the curb.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  11. dok101

dok101 Registered User

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hofstra Law grad here. I once had ideas of attending med school, hence the SDN account. Just thought I would share details of some information received via my Hofstra email account, regarding the "historical announcement" today.

Additional details here: New School of Medicine to Enroll First Class in Summer 2011

[YOUTUBE]qtP9h_mHFOI[/YOUTUBE]
  12. ronaldo23

ronaldo23 The Truth

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    damn i'd love to go here. Historically do medical schools tend to have averages around 3.5/30 opening year? I figure this would be the case since not a lot of people know about Hofstra yet or are worried to go to a place without an established reputation/match-list?
  13. Appless

Appless

SDN 2+ Year Member
    if you look at the new schools recently that opened in FL, TX, and others the averages and apps have still been high and right about the averages. Trust me theres enough people who desperatly want in and wont hesitate if given the chance:). You could except the averages to be around the 3.6/31 range that most lower to mid tier range schools are in now days.
  14. StanGoodspeed

StanGoodspeed

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just watched the YouTube video posted above. It sounds like there's a lot of dedicated people behind this school that want it to be very successful. The two aspects of the curriculum that stand out to me are: (1) training all medical students to become EMTs so that they can work on North Shore LIJ ambulances and (2) the integration of faculty and student learning space so that there is a lot of interaction between faculty and students.
  15. socrknite4

socrknite4

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This school sounds great. Definitely going on my list!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.