Hold off applying until 2016 + apply for a masters now? How do you go about deciding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonociceptors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating this June and originally planned on applying this upcoming cycle. Now I'm getting a bit nervous as to whether that's the best thing to do in my case. If I apply and don't get any acceptances, I will have wasted 1 year (which I could have spent in a masters program or doing something to boost my app) and will have to *then* apply for a masters program or something like that and reapply an additional year after that...hopefully that makes sense. Basically I can't apply for a masters program now *and* dental school at the same time, and I don't know which path would be the best for me to take. I know I'll have to make that decision on my own, but based on my stats should I just go for it this cycle and apply broadly?

oGPA 3.4-3.5 / sGPA ~3.1 / BCP ~3.2
- upward trend, had sub-3.0s 1st and 2nd year for a few quarters when I didn't know what I wanted to do. The past 1-2 years have been all As and Bs.

DAT 26AA / 24TS (PAT 25, QR 24, RC 28, Bio 30, GC 24, OC 22)

- 50 hours shadowing, will continue in summer
- 80 hours volunteering at UCLA dental school/clinic
- 80 hours volunteering at elementary/middle/high schools (taught science lessons)
- scaling class taught by UCLA dental students
- 24 hours of lecture taught by UCLA dental students (covered various aspects of dentistry like anatomy, specialties [endo/peds/OMFS], drugs/anesthesia, radiology, organized dentistry, etc.)
- 10 hours of lab taught by UCLA dental students (we did Class I Ag prep/fill, Class V composite prep/fill, PFM crown prep, impressions and pour up)
- member of predental club with misc. volunteer hours for that scattered around different places
- semi-habitual community service cooking for shelter residents on the weekends

As a CA resident I was planning on applying to these schools - any others I should consider? I only have 2 science letters of rec and 1 dentist/1 non-science prof so that eliminated some schools :laugh:
NYU
Boston U
Temple
Western
USC
Michigan
UConn
Minnesota
UNLV
UCSF
UOP
UCLA
UW

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have avg oGPA, not tremendously terrible sGPA, and fabulous DAT. Fabulous is underestimate. I meant freaking amazing! I think you'll be fine if you get more shadowing hours.

Apply this May, with your stats you will get interviews. Start getting your rec letters ready and apply super early. I would get exposure to dentistry over M.S. since your GPA or DAT do not need any improvements. Maybe work at a dental office or try to become a dental assistant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are ok, your DAT is killer (awesome job) and your gpas are not awful as the others have said. Shadow some more and volunteer, you will receive interviews I am sure. Work on you interview skills and practice!

Why could you not apply for both at the same time? You could apply for a SMP now (most deadlines haven't passed yet) to start that August 2015 and still apply to dental school thus summer to start August 2016...

Thanks for the input everyone!

Why could you not apply for both at the same time? You could apply for a SMP now (most deadlines haven't passed yet) to start that August 2015 and still apply to dental school thus summer to start August 2016...

If I get into a masters program and start August 2015, I'll be spending a pretty large chunk of money on that program. I would only want to spend that money if I needed it to get into dental school. But like I said, it would be impossible to know whether or not I'll get accepted before starting a masters program. Hence the dilemma. Basically I dont want to spend another, what, at least $30,000 for no reason.

If I get into a masters program and start August 2015, I'll be spending a pretty large chunk of money on that program. I would only want to spend that money if I needed it to get into dental school. But like I said, it would be impossible to know whether or not I'll get accepted before starting a masters program. Hence the dilemma. Basically I dont want to spend another, what, at least $30,000 for no reason.

I see! Really no way of knowing but would hate to have to wait another year to find out! Food for thought, my SMP at Iowa State was only about $21,000 OOS tuition and some people were able to work part-time on top of that and did just fine (Link at bottom)...That is quite a dilemma though! With how AMAZING your DAT score is, it might be worth the risk to apply and find out. And if you didn't get accepted, you would know exactly where/how to improve your app the next year

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/non-thesis/

We have pretty similar stats!
I have a gpa of 3.45 (both science and overall) and got a 25 on the DAT. I was basically directionless in college and took a year off to figure stuff out. I started shadowing after graduation, enjoyed it and started studying for the DAT. Since the DAT, I have shadowed, tutored and am starting to volunteer. I am hoping this final push towards dentistry will be looked at in a positive light by admissions - not all of us were born with a passion for dentistry.

I would advise against the masters. I think if we apply early we will be fine! Try not to stress about the past, we are where we are.