About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Hold status after interview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by sith, Apr 1, 1999.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. sith

sith Junior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I just received a letter placing me on "hold" status after a recent interview at WesternCOM. I wanted to know what does this mean, how does this fair for my chances of getting in, and what should I do to get myself into the acceptance category.
    Any comments would be appreciated
  2. Dude if I was you I would be thankful they didn't accept you. I will leave it at that
  3. Scotty

Scotty New Member

If I?m correct, anyone placed on hold at COMP needs to send a letter indicating you want your application to remain active. If you don?t send this letter, your file is no longer considered. I was placed on hold status last year, but never sent anything and my file was closed. Good luck, COMP is a great school!
  4. sith

sith Junior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    well, actually they indicated that my file will be reviewed at a later date again, and that it is still under active consideration!
  5. StillBorn

StillBorn Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    typically these are the possible outcomes to application:

Acceptance - you're in
    Rejection - you're out
    Wait list - you're in if someone who was accepted does to want to come
    Hold - if by some bizarre twist of fate everyone on the wait list is exhausted, we will get the hold list and re-evaluate the files.

From what I understand, people on hold rarely make it off the hold list.
  6. wiggy

wiggy Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    I'm in a similar situation. From what the admissions committee told me, a hold status is not the same as a wait list. Files put on hold are continually reviewed along with files of later interviewees, so it's a bit like double jeopardy.
    There are 3 possibilities for those on hold.
    1. rejection
    2. acceptance
    3. wait list after april 1st(?)
    I'll be waiting vigilantly around the mailbox for the next few days. Good luck to you.
  7. OsteoDOC

OsteoDOC Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    DOGBOY,

Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with Western University/COMP? I have seen some of your posts and I agree that you have a right to your opinion. So I am sure that this opinion is based on YOUR first hand knowledge and not ignorance. I mean, you must have spent the last 4 years at Western U as student like I have and know EXACTLY what the places has to offer and how good or bad the education is. Though, come to think about it, I don't remember seeing you in my class.

Now, here is my take on Western University based on being an osteopathic medical student at the campus for the last 4 years. The the education has been adequate enough for me to pass COMLEX Part 1 in the upper 1/3 percentile. I have been able to obtain an ACGME PGY1 spot in Family Medicine at UC San Francisco/University Medical Center-Fresno. The school is by no means perfect but is there a perfect school?

As for the location, well Pomona is definately not Beverly Hills but it isn't all that bad. I can name several schools in worse area's (i.e. USC for starters).

So please, if you are going to make negative statements about a specific place, at least have the knowledge to back it up. I will always believe in the first ammendment and agree that everyone has the right to their own opinion but it looks so bad when their opinion is based on ignorance.

If someone has any specific questions. feel free to ask.

Brandon A, MS4
    Western University/COMP

8. DJ

DJ Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Well said Osteodoc!
  9. DJ

DJ Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Wiggy+Sith,
    When did you guys interview? How soon did you get the decision?
    I'm also expecting a decision in 2-3 weeks after interviewing at COMP this week.

10. wiggy

wiggy Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    I interviewed the week before thanksgiving and got the decision about a month later. I've been sitting on pins and needles for some time now. I'm working on my improving my application
  11. sith

sith Junior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    I interviewed @ WCOMP in the middle of march, and I received my notification two weeks later!
    Goodluck!
    Wiggy I hope that we both get a positive answer soon!
  12. I base my comments on my interview experience there in November. Remember these are MY opinions. I HAVE been to the campus and seen its LOCATION. I did spend time with the STUDENTS that attend Western University. Based on my feelings I am voicing MY opinion. Anyone who is that influenced by my opinions not to attend COMP needs to start thinking for themselves.
  13. DJ

DJ Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Wiggy+Sith,

Thanks for the reply. I interviewed the end of March so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Good luck with both of you.
  14. wiggy

wiggy Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Good luck to you too, sith and DJ.
    Keep sending the admissions committee information to update your file and keep the file active-publications, awards, transcripts- anything that will keep them from blowing the dust off your file when they review it again. I sent some new information every 2 or 3 weeks so that my file could see daylight more often.
  15. DJ

DJ Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Thanks for the tip Wiggy.
  16. MOXIEJEN DO 2003

MOXIEJEN DO 2003 Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    I too, was placed on "hold", both this time, and the last time I was interviewed there in 1997. I called the admissions office, and unfortunately, the files on "hold" will not be reviewed until June first. I was told to send in ANYTHING that I wished the commitee to see when my file was re-evaluated in June (additional letters of rec, additional coursework, volunteer activities, etc.] I was accepted at MSU the week after I was put on hold at COMP, so needless to say, I accepted their offer. In 1997 when I was put on hold by COMP, I didn't get a final "no" until late August. Good Luck, and hopefully you will hear from another school prior to August.....
  17. DJ

DJ Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Sith+Wiggy,
    I'm in the same boat as both of you. I got a reply today and it's a "hold." I thought I did well on the interview but...
    I'm wondering if anyone interviewed after March and got the acceptance.
    Although I did not get the acceptance letter, I want to thank Edgar, CelticJY, Nick, Premed1, and Cliff for all of your help with the interview.
    Good luck to everyone still on hold.
  18. sith

sith Junior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    wiggy and DJ good luck to both of You, and I hope that something positive turns-up soon!
  19. DJ

DJ Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    This info might come as a disappointment to those still waiting but it's better to know exactly what a "hold" status means. Based on what Sue told me today, people on "hold" will have 2 outcomes:
    1) Be placed on the alternate list.
    (I don't know how many on avg. are taken each year)
    2) Be rejected.
    3) If on alternate list, come off it, and be admitted.

She said the last interview date was 4/9. Applicants should hear something by late June. She also mentioned that people have come off the alternate list as late as August.
    Right now I probably need to start sending in my transcripts. I'll definitely apply early the second time around.

Good luck Sith and Wiggy
  20. Nova2003

Nova2003 Junior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Hang in there. I interviewed at Nova in early November and was placed on the alternate list in mid December (when lots of the people that interviewed about the same time were getting accepted). I interviewed at COMP in late Jan and was accepted two weeks later. Then I found out in the last week of March that I was accepted to Nova (my first choice). There are two morals here: 1) people do get off the alternate list and 2)since I will not be going to COMP there is one more space available. Good Luck.

------------------
    [​IMG]

21. DJ

DJ Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    I like the pic of your mom and pop. Man, you're well travelled. I don't have the $$ to do any travelling because it's all stuck in DELL.
  22. DJ

DJ Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    I like the pic of your mom and pop. Man, you're well travelled. I don't have the $$ to do any travelling because it's all stuck in DELL.