hold'em against their will...what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
saw this 4 part post on sermo. the discussion was do you hold this pt against their will and admit or ama. what do you guys think? I am sure we've all dealt with this kind of pt but this story is bizarre

A 29 year old female comes to the ER for a loss of consciousness.

According to her and her boyfriend, she was walking down the street when she began to feel dizzy. Then she fell. Her boyfriend caught her and lowered her to the ground gently, and called EMS. The patient was unconscious when EMS arrived, but came to in the ambulance and was alert and oriented on arrival in the ER.

The patient reports that for the last 3 days she has been having multiple episodes per day of loss of consciousness. She believes that they are seizures -- she reports that she takes alprazolam 2 mg by mouth 3 times daily for seizures and anxiety, and has not had the alprazolam for 3 days. These episodes started the morning after her last evening dose.

PMH: anxiety

Social: opioid dependence (denies other drug dependence or abuse). 1 PPD smoker

Meds: Methadone 230 mg po QD, alprazolam 2 mg PO TID.

After the initial assessment (as described above), my colleague (who is taking care of the patient), orders a CBC, chem 8, LFTs, PT / INR, UA, Utox, EtOH, UCG, EKG, CXR, and CTs of the brain and cervical spine.

As he is writing his initial note, the patient's boyfriend comes haring out of the room, shouting "Doc!, Doc! She's doing it again!" He goes to the patient's room, and finds her altered: she is unresponsive to painful stimulus. She is tachypneic and hyperpneic. She is diaphoretic. The radial pulse is not palpable. She had not yet been placed on the cardiac monitor (city hospital), so the rhythm is unknown. He calls for a crash cart, and she becomes apneic and limp. There is no carotid pulse. He performs chest compressions while the nurse is setting up a BVM.

After 30 seconds of chest compressions, her upper extremities start to move, and she takes a breath. She is placed on an oxygen mask. She has peripheral pulses. She is placed on the cardiac monitor, and is in a sinus rhythm with bigeminal PVCs at a rate of about 90. The blood pressure is 100/60, SaO2 is 100%, respirations are 22. The PVCs resolve after about a minute.

The abovementioned labs are drawn, and the radiographic studies are performed. Cardiology is consulted.

Over about 1/2 hour, the patient returns to an apparently normal mental status. She is told what happened, and that she needs to stay in the hospital. She refuses this and leaves against medical advice. A 12-lead EKG is never performed (city hospital). Labs are pending, the chest x-ray and CTs show no acute findings on a preliminary review by the ED physician.

The disgruntled CCU fellow leaves the ED in disgust.

A few hours after her discharge, I am called to the trauma bay for a code yellow (agitated patient requiring immediate attention). The EMS triage nurse recognizes the patient and sends in the initial treating doctor who relates the events of the first ED visit while I'm assessing the patient. I suggest that, in the interests of continuity of care that he takes the case (cough cough), but he politely refused as he feels I may benefit from some of the more unusual aspects of the case (cough cough). Anyway.

EMS says they were called for an unconscious woman and found her on a park bench. She was not responsive to painful stimulus. She had shallow slow respirations (rate 6 / minute) and constricted pupils. Her heart rate was 100. SaO2 was 85%. They didn't get a blood pressure. After the administration of naloxone 0.4 mg IV she because agitated.

On arrival, she was agitated. There were no significant secretions, and the airway seemed patent. Respirations were fast and deep (24). Lungs were clear. Skin was warm, diaphoretic, and peripheral pulses were full (120).. BP was 132/86. Her eyes were open, sure was making incomprehensible sounds, and she localized to pain (GCS 4/2/4 = 10). FSBG was 106 mg /dL.

Other pertinent findings: piloerection, yawning, retching.

An EKG showed sinus tach at 108, no ectopy or ST- T changes. The QTc was about 600 ms.

Review of the testing from the prior visit showed that the imaging studies were reassuring (CXR, CTs of brain and c-spine). The hemogram was likewise benign (WBC 6.8 Hgb 11.2 Plt 256) and the chemistry and LFTS were noncontributory except for a potassium of 3.0 mMol / L. Magnesium had not been tested. The troponin was 0.172 (normal less than 0.045).

The patient was placed on a cardiac monitor and supplement oxygen, and the labs were repeated. Over about 40 minutes, the signs and symptoms of iatrogenic opioid withdrawal gradually ceased, and the patient became calm. vitals remained reassuring (HR in the 80s, BP in the 100s/60s range, SaO2 99-100% on a nasal canula at 3 L, respirations 12-14).

The ICU was consulted and they came to see the patient.

Then, I was called to the room by the RN. The patient's mental status had abruptly changed. She had become unconscious, unresponsive to painful stimulus. She was tachypneic and hyperpneic. The cardiac monitor showed ventricular tachycardia at about 230-240. The peripheral pulses were weak, and the blood pressure was 90/50. I kicked myself for not having put on the defibrillator pads, although at least I had the crash cart standing by.

While the pads were being opened up, she became apneic. The peripheral pulses were gone. I said "****" and thumped her chest as hard as I could, which was ineffective. I started chest compressions and my PA started to ventilate the patient with a BVM while my resident set up to intubate. After about 1 minute of chest compressions, the patient started to try to push me away, and I stopped chest compressions. She tried to remove the BVM mask from her face. The cardiac monitor showed sinus tachycardia with a rate of ~120 and bigeminal PVCS with R-on-T phenomenon.

I loaded her with amiodarone and started the drip. The PVCs resolved.

I told the ICU to come and get her.

Members don't see this ad.

saw this 4 part post on sermo. the discussion was do you hold this pt against their will and admit or ama. what do you guys think? I am sure we've all dealt with this kind of pt but this story is bizarre

A 29 year old female comes to the ER for a loss of consciousness.

According to her and her boyfriend, she was walking down the street when she began to feel dizzy. Then she fell. Her boyfriend caught her and lowered her to the ground gently, and called EMS. The patient was unconscious when EMS arrived, but came to in the ambulance and was alert and oriented on arrival in the ER.

The patient reports that for the last 3 days she has been having multiple episodes per day of loss of consciousness. She believes that they are seizures -- she reports that she takes alprazolam 2 mg by mouth 3 times daily for seizures and anxiety, and has not had the alprazolam for 3 days. These episodes started the morning after her last evening dose.

PMH: anxiety

Social: opioid dependence (denies other drug dependence or abuse). 1 PPD smoker

Meds: Methadone 230 mg po QD, alprazolam 2 mg PO TID.

After the initial assessment (as described above), my colleague (who is taking care of the patient), orders a CBC, chem 8, LFTs, PT / INR, UA, Utox, EtOH, UCG, EKG, CXR, and CTs of the brain and cervical spine.

As he is writing his initial note, the patient's boyfriend comes haring out of the room, shouting "Doc!, Doc! She's doing it again!" He goes to the patient's room, and finds her altered: she is unresponsive to painful stimulus. She is tachypneic and hyperpneic. She is diaphoretic. The radial pulse is not palpable. She had not yet been placed on the cardiac monitor (city hospital), so the rhythm is unknown. He calls for a crash cart, and she becomes apneic and limp. There is no carotid pulse. He performs chest compressions while the nurse is setting up a BVM.

After 30 seconds of chest compressions, her upper extremities start to move, and she takes a breath. She is placed on an oxygen mask. She has peripheral pulses. She is placed on the cardiac monitor, and is in a sinus rhythm with bigeminal PVCs at a rate of about 90. The blood pressure is 100/60, SaO2 is 100%, respirations are 22. The PVCs resolve after about a minute.

The abovementioned labs are drawn, and the radiographic studies are performed. Cardiology is consulted.

Over about 1/2 hour, the patient returns to an apparently normal mental status. She is told what happened, and that she needs to stay in the hospital. She refuses this and leaves against medical advice. A 12-lead EKG is never performed (city hospital). Labs are pending, the chest x-ray and CTs show no acute findings on a preliminary review by the ED physician.

The disgruntled CCU fellow leaves the ED in disgust.

A few hours after her discharge, I am called to the trauma bay for a code yellow (agitated patient requiring immediate attention). The EMS triage nurse recognizes the patient and sends in the initial treating doctor who relates the events of the first ED visit while I'm assessing the patient. I suggest that, in the interests of continuity of care that he takes the case (cough cough), but he politely refused as he feels I may benefit from some of the more unusual aspects of the case (cough cough). Anyway.

EMS says they were called for an unconscious woman and found her on a park bench. She was not responsive to painful stimulus. She had shallow slow respirations (rate 6 / minute) and constricted pupils. Her heart rate was 100. SaO2 was 85%. They didn't get a blood pressure. After the administration of naloxone 0.4 mg IV she because agitated.

On arrival, she was agitated. There were no significant secretions, and the airway seemed patent. Respirations were fast and deep (24). Lungs were clear. Skin was warm, diaphoretic, and peripheral pulses were full (120).. BP was 132/86. Her eyes were open, sure was making incomprehensible sounds, and she localized to pain (GCS 4/2/4 = 10). FSBG was 106 mg /dL.

Other pertinent findings: piloerection, yawning, retching.

An EKG showed sinus tach at 108, no ectopy or ST- T changes. The QTc was about 600 ms.

Review of the testing from the prior visit showed that the imaging studies were reassuring (CXR, CTs of brain and c-spine). The hemogram was likewise benign (WBC 6.8 Hgb 11.2 Plt 256) and the chemistry and LFTS were noncontributory except for a potassium of 3.0 mMol / L. Magnesium had not been tested. The troponin was 0.172 (normal less than 0.045).

The patient was placed on a cardiac monitor and supplement oxygen, and the labs were repeated. Over about 40 minutes, the signs and symptoms of iatrogenic opioid withdrawal gradually ceased, and the patient became calm. vitals remained reassuring (HR in the 80s, BP in the 100s/60s range, SaO2 99-100% on a nasal canula at 3 L, respirations 12-14).

The ICU was consulted and they came to see the patient.

Then, I was called to the room by the RN. The patient's mental status had abruptly changed. She had become unconscious, unresponsive to painful stimulus. She was tachypneic and hyperpneic. The cardiac monitor showed ventricular tachycardia at about 230-240. The peripheral pulses were weak, and the blood pressure was 90/50. I kicked myself for not having put on the defibrillator pads, although at least I had the crash cart standing by.

While the pads were being opened up, she became apneic. The peripheral pulses were gone. I said "****" and thumped her chest as hard as I could, which was ineffective. I started chest compressions and my PA started to ventilate the patient with a BVM while my resident set up to intubate. After about 1 minute of chest compressions, the patient started to try to push me away, and I stopped chest compressions. She tried to remove the BVM mask from her face. The cardiac monitor showed sinus tachycardia with a rate of ~120 and bigeminal PVCS with R-on-T phenomenon.

I loaded her with amiodarone and started the drip. The PVCs resolved.

I told the ICU to come and get her.

What's the question? Did the patient try to leave AMA again? I think it's an interesting medical case but not an interesting medico-legal one. If the patient is clinically sober, is able to explain why they want to leave and why you don't want them to leave and all the risks of death and disability involved, and you document all of this ... let em leave. If the patient is screaming and agitated and tries to stumble their way out the door, yeah, you just sedate em and admit to the ICU.

Reactions: 1 users
What's the question? Did the patient try to leave AMA again? I think it's an interesting medical case but not an interesting medico-legal one. If the patient is clinically sober, is able to explain why they want to leave and why you don't want them to leave and all the risks of death and disability involved, and you document all of this ... let em leave. If the patient is screaming and agitated and tries to stumble their way out the door, yeah, you just sedate em and admit to the ICU.
Agree. Is the question whether or not there was capacity?

I'd agree there was the first time; I'd personally have problems claiming capacity with the "unresponsive --> naloxone" part due to the methadone t1/2 >>> naloxone t1/2, but that's a judgment call & could go either way depending on the doc.

As an aside, her QTc gotta be long if I'm reading the scenario right...

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Members don't see this ad :)
bad methadone, bad... causing prolonged QTc and sudden cardiac arrest... or at least that is one possibility.

Can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.

Not sure about your question?
First or second visit.

I don't keep likely od against their will if they understand risks.

Needs mg and k.

If she were aaox4 w mdm capacity i would've ama'd her w iron clad documentation initially..

No doubt she got tuned up in the unit and felt really really good first time she shot up after dc..

the big controversy on sermo was during the first visit, even though she coded and got better, do you make her stay? my guess is the author was asking if there are legal grounds to hold someone based on cardiac arrest 2/2 narcotic use. my guess is no which is what most EM guys said. other specialties said yes you should have kept her

the big controversy on sermo was during the first visit, even though she coded and got better, do you make her stay? my guess is the author was asking if there are legal grounds to hold someone based on cardiac arrest 2/2 narcotic use. my guess is no which is what most EM guys said. other specialties said yes you should have kept her
I guess I'm confused here. Do you mean "keep her" like refuse to discharge and make her leave AMA if she does? Or do you mean literal lock her down and confine her involuntarily?

I'd agree with the first, can't even fathom the second given the description

I am operating under the assumption that this took place in the US. If not, I have no idea what the specific laws would be.

Rule #1: Every American has the inalienable right to be an idiot.

Was she a danger to herself? Yes. Although not necessarily legally since "danger by omission" is tough to do much about.

In a naive patient, you might be able to argue that methadone and alprazolam diminished her decision making ability and precluded her making an informed decision about leaving AMA. However, she almost certainly does not fit this category.

A sad case, but there is not much that could be done differently without breaking the law. Go back to Rule #1.

Actually, for me would've been a non-issue. I intubate if I'm doing chest compressions. Pt wants to leave? means the propofol drip is running too low. That said if by some crazy chance I didn't intubate, then she leaves AMA, can't fix stupid, but in this country, stupidity does have rights

I would have no issue letting her leave. She has capacity. I document it all. As long as they know and understand the risks, they can do whatever they want.

Under what grounds.

Unless this was a suspect suicide attempt, based on the story above it sounds like she has capacity. There is not even close to debate in my mind. Easy dispo to AMA her.

After about 1 minute of chest compressions, the patient started to try to push me away, and I stopped chest compressions.... and after lengthy discussion about the risk of leaving the hospital after having 2 cardiac arrests in the ER on the same shift she still refused to stay and signed out against the advice of the physician. She was encouraged to return to the ER at her earliest convenience.

Follow up in sudden cardiac arrest clinic in 3 days. Easy dispo.

Reactions: 4 users
After about 1 minute of chest compressions, the patient started to try to push me away, and I stopped chest compressions.... and after lengthy discussion about the risk of leaving the hospital after having 2 cardiac arrests in the ER on the same shift she still refused to stay and signed out against the advice of the physician. She was encouraged to return to the ER at her earliest convenience.

I would have advised her to go to the ER down the road at her earliest convenience...

If she has decision making capacity, she can leave.

Unless she's a frequent repeat offender with the drug-related deaths, in which case, depending on state law, may have grounds to hold.