Holding Seats....Deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msmm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I was accepted into two schools and turned in my deposit to both schools. Is there a specific deadline that I have to notify the school that I am not going to attend? I am wondering if there is a deadline when you can hold multiple acceptances?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know for MD schools it's May 15. Not sure about DO and not sure what you do if you can an acceptance after this deadline.

Thank you temppg. I know there is a deadline for MD school, and I think schools force people to drop out if they are still holding seats. Does anyone else know if there is a deadline for DO schools or we can hold seats until July? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
I was accepted into two schools and turned in my deposit to both schools. Is there a specific deadline that I have to notify the school that I am not going to attend? I am wondering if there is a deadline when you can hold multiple acceptances?

Thanks!

You put down deposits down at both schools!?!?

You wanna throw some money my way?

According to "Getting into Medical School For Dummies" (so legit!), there is no deadline for DO, but those on the waitlist might be extremely upset if you hold on too long. ;)

Source

The day before classes (or orientation, depending on the school) starts. Otherwise you may be on the hook for tuition for the semester.

Hi!

Thanks!

There is no deadline of which I am aware, but dude, it is pretty selfish to hold onto two spots for much longer. I know that you are blessed to get two acceptances, but think about the people waiting to get off the waitlist. You should decide where you want to get your medical education, so someone else can plan the rest of their lives.

I know it would suck to have to upend my life two days before classes would start because msmm couldn't commit to a decision.

Reactions: 1 user
You honestly shouldn't need more than a couple weeks or a month max to decide which school you like better. Just keep the one you like and let someone else get into the other one off the waitlist.

There is no deadline of which I am aware, but dude, it is pretty selfish to hold onto two spots for much longer. I know that you are blessed to get two acceptances, but think about the people waiting to get off the waitlist. You should decide where you want to get your medical education, so someone else can plan the rest of their lives.

I know it would suck to have to upend my life two days before classes would start because msmm couldn't commit to a decision.

If he paid $1,000 for each spot, then he is free to keep it until the deadline.

But what a way to lose $1,000+ dollars. I would call the school, but usually once you pay the deposit, it is just assumed you will be attending the school until you call to cancel (which can be up until the day before classes start).

But what a way to lose $1,000+ dollars. I would call the school, but usually once you pay the deposit, it is just assumed you will be attending the school until you call to cancel (which can be up until the day before classes start).

Holding a spot like that is just being an a**hole. Consider the spot the waitlisted applicants are in. Some of them may have not gotten acceptances at other schools. Plus you should be sympathetic since you've struggled through the same process they have. You're all going to be colleagues anyway. No need to start your new life off this way.

Holding a spot like that is just being an a**hole. Consider the spot the waitlisted applicants are in. Some of them may have not gotten acceptances at other schools. Plus you should be sympathetic since you've struggled through the same process they have. You're all going to be colleagues anyway. No need to start your new life off this way.

I agree, but we may not know the circumstances between the two choices. It could be more substantial than "Oh man, which is a better school?"

If he told us what the two schools were, maybe we could help quicken his decision.

Luckily you have time but please at least attempt to make the decision sooner than later. It genuinely frustrates DO schools when people do this. Most people are not 50/50 and just cannot make a decision.

How long have you been holding the two spots? Since May? (Not SO bad...) Since March? (Expect angry people...)

Members don't see this ad :)

He is free to, but then students who are waitlisted that could take that spot are spending thousands of dollars on reapplying as we speak. Just a though.

If possible, make your decision ASAP out of respect for your future colleagues stressed out about acceptance vs reapplying.

:thumbdown:It's already June and you haven't decided yet? It just plain meanness to hold out until the end since there are those on the wait list hoping for a spot (that you are holding) to open up. Some people have to move across the country to go to medical school and to have only a few days notice is REALY HARD TO PULL OFF when a long distance is involved. Decide already so someone else can be accepted an plan their life.

Please chose ASAP, it will definitely help keep things rolling, especially for those wait listed and reapplying! At this point holding multiple seats is just ridiculous.

Please chose ASAP, it will definitely help keep things rolling, especially for those wait listed and reapplying! At this point holding multiple seats is just ridiculous.

Don't generalize everyone. Some schools send their acceptances from waitlists lately, which make applicants undecided although they've already decided to go to another school that sent the acceptance letter much earlier. Sometimes, like this time in your life, it's not that easy to decide among multiple acceptances. It'd be a bit harder to pull up and move accross the country to start school for some in a short notice, but I'm sure schools have many "local" waitlisted candidates to levarage this problem easily... If only DO schools didn't charge $2000 to hold a seat, it'd be much easier to ask applicants to release other seats that they've been offered. It's complicated...

Don't generalize everyone. Some schools send their acceptances from waitlists lately, which make applicants undecided although they've already decided to go to another school that sent the acceptance letter much earlier. Sometimes, like this time in your life, it's not that easy to decide among multiple acceptances. It'd be a bit harder to pull up and move accross the country to start school for some in a short notice, but I'm sure schools have many "local" waitlisted candidates to levarage this problem easily... If only DO schools didn't charge $2000 to hold a seat, it'd be much easier to ask applicants to release other seats that they've been offered. It's complicated...

It's June, though. If the deposits have been paid, then I don't see how deposit money has anything to do with it. Tuition is different because that hasn't been paid yet.

Let me restate that, it's ridiculous if you have gotten accepted (not by wait list) and still have yet to decide. The fact that the deposit is so high should lead people to hold as little seats as possible because not many have that kind of money to throw around.

Let me restate that, it's ridiculous if you have gotten accepted (not by wait list) and still have yet to decide. The fact that the deposit is so high should lead people to hold as little seats as possible because not many have that kind of money to throw around.

Even if they did have that money, using it as a deposit is probably the worst thing I could think of. Could take a really nice cruise or something with it!

Says the guy holding onto two acceptances. I was on the waitlist last year up until late June. It sucks. Make your decision and drop the other acceptance.

The problem here is not the OP, it's the way admissions are set up. DO schools do not have a set date like MD schools do, so there is nothing wrong with holding two acceptances. Applying to medical school is always going to be stressful, but I have to believe there is a better way to do it than this. Dragging this process out for an entire year is what leads to situations like these. I wish they would compact the season so all waitlist movement would be done by now and you wouldn't have the situation where you're expected to move across the country and start class tomorrow. I suspect it's a ploy to get more money from waitlisted applicants who are reapplying :smuggrin: (sort of kidding).

Yes, it sucks to those people still waiting but you need to look out for your interests first in this process. Of course you want to try to be considerate and do everything you can to make a decision as soon as possible, but if you are truly undecided or have extenuating circumstances take the time you need to make sure you're making the right call for you.

It's a little unfair to judge without knowing the exact circumstances of this decision. As some others mentioned perhaps he just found out he was accepted off a waitlist and was inquiring on how much time he had to decide between the two schools. Many people have family, spouses or significant others to consider in their decision too. I'm currently holding 2 acceptances for this reason (1MD, 1DO), and while I do feel a little guilty about it, it's what makes the most sense for my situation right now. I know it sucks being on the waitlist, Im currently there at my top choice school, but that's just the way things work unfortunately....hate the game, not the player, no?

The problem here is not the OP, it's the way admissions are set up. DO schools do not have a set date like MD schools do, so there is nothing wrong with holding two acceptances. Applying to medical school is always going to be stressful, but I have to believe there is a better way to do it than this. Dragging this process out for an entire year is what leads to situations like these. I wish they would compact the season so all waitlist movement would be done by now and you wouldn't have the situation where you're expected to move across the country and start class tomorrow. I suspect it's a ploy to get more money from waitlisted applicants who are reapplying :smuggrin: (sort of kidding).

Yes, it sucks to those people still waiting but you need to look out for your interests first in this process. Of course you want to try to be considerate and do everything you can to make a decision as soon as possible, but if you are truly undecided or have extenuating circumstances take the time you need to make sure you're making the right call for you.

It's a little unfair to judge without knowing the exact circumstances of this decision. As some others mentioned perhaps he just found out he was accepted off a waitlist and was inquiring on how much time he had to decide between the two schools. Many people have family, spouses or significant others to consider in their decision too. I'm currently holding 2 acceptances for this reason (1MD, 1DO), and while I do feel a little guilty about it, it's what makes the most sense for my situation right now. I know it sucks being on the waitlist, Im currently there at my top choice school, but that's just the way things work unfortunately....hate the game, not the player, no?

"Hate" the player when the player can do something to make the game slightly better for others.

When OP finally decides, two people are going to have to find housing and sign contracts and documentation in a short time.

I get what some of you are saying, and I agree that the OP needs to do what is best for him. I think, however, that OP should really put a time limit on himself (2 more weeks, max?) and have his decision made & schools notified by then.

It would truly suck to be on the WL and shelling out money for a new app cycle when you'd be in if one person made up his/her mind.

I get what some of you are saying, and I agree that the OP needs to do what is best for him. I think, however, that OP should really put a time limit on himself (2 more weeks, max?) and have his decision made & schools notified by then.

It would truly suck to be on the WL and shelling out money for a new app cycle when you'd be in if one person made up his/her mind.

Yeah and the thing is if he/she declines one spot, someone off the wait list may get in who has been accepted elsewhere then that spot my be open and it's a huge domino effect.

"Hate" the player when the player can do something to make the game slightly better for others.

Who is he going to make it better for? 1 person? maybe 5 if there's some domino waitlist movement happening? People he doesn't even know. I'm all for looking out for others, doing good, helping, etc., etc. but you always need to put yourself first, because no one else is going to. I'm not advocating intentionally being an a--hole, but absent any rules or regulations on DO acceptances or joint MD/DO acceptances the OP isn't doing anything wrong and shouldn't feel bad about it if he truly is undecided or waiting on additional info developments to occur.

I used to think along the lines that it was selfish or unethical to hold multiple acceptances, and that can still be the case depending on the reason. However I've come to realize that it's usually just not that simple. Generally people aren't doing this to be malicious. In an ideal system this wouldn't happen, but the system is far from ideal.

Wow I did not expect so many responses! I got into a school (A)and put down the deposit, and I received an interview later from another school. I am still holding seats because I am still taking one prereq course and waiting for the grade to come out. This class is not required by school A for some reason tho. I am also on the waitlist for my top choice school, so I know how people feel. I will call school A soon. Thanks for all the answers and opinions.

I am still holding seats because I am still taking one prereq course and waiting for the grade to come out. This class is not required by school A for some reason tho.

Are you that worried that you are going to fail the class?

Who is he going to make it better for? 1 person? maybe 5 if there's some domino waitlist movement happening? People he doesn't even know. I'm all for looking out for others, doing good, helping, etc., etc. but you always need to put yourself first, because no one else is going to. I'm not advocating intentionally being an a--hole, but absent any rules or regulations on DO acceptances or joint MD/DO acceptances the OP isn't doing anything wrong and shouldn't feel bad about it if he truly is undecided or waiting on additional info developments to occur.

I used to think along the lines that it was selfish or unethical to hold multiple acceptances, and that can still be the case depending on the reason. However I've come to realize that it's usually just not that simple. Generally people aren't doing this to be malicious. In an ideal system this wouldn't happen, but the system is far from ideal.

I know people holding onto multiple acceptances aren't intentionally trying to be malicious, but being undecided is not really an acceptable reason. By now you have been to both campuses, met with students, and administration. There is simply no new information to wait on. You will know nothing more tomorrow then you will today. Weigh the possibilities, explore the different options but for gods sake make a freaking choice, will you?
:boom:

I know people holding onto multiple acceptances aren't intentionally trying to be malicious, but being undecided is not really an acceptable reason. By now you have been to both campuses, met with students, and administration. There is simply no new information to wait on. You will know nothing more tomorrow then you will today. Weigh the possibilities, explore the different options but for gods sake make a freaking choice, will you?

Standing ovation :thumbup:

True, nothing wrong, per se. Just like there's nothing wrong with going into a checkout line with 100 items and there's someone behind you with 1 item, but you still go first anyway. You were there first, and you don't know this person from Adam and Eve, so there's no rule or obligation to allow that person to go ahead in front of you. However, out of courtesy to others that exist on this planet with you, you should make the right choice and help your fellow man. It's not going to kill you to wait an extra second or two to hold a door open for some stranger either, but you should do it anyway. It's just the right thing.

That's the thing...I am waiting on new information. I'm applying with my SO (together 9 years so basically my husband). We are currently accepted together at the DO school, however he is waitlisted at an MD school that is closer to the MD school I'm accepted at, and we are both waitlisted at a third MD school that is also closer. I don't want to make a choice without all the facts. I don't want to give up my MD acceptance and have him get off the waitlist somewhere and end up being at separate schools and further away from each other. Life just isn't simple sometimes.

True, nothing wrong, per se. Just like there's nothing wrong with going into a checkout line with 100 items and there's someone behind you with 1 item, but you still go first anyway. You were there first, and you don't know this person from Adam and Eve, so there's no rule or obligation to allow that person to go ahead in front of you. However, out of courtesy to others that exist on this planet with you, you should make the right choice and help your fellow man. It's not going to kill you to wait an extra second or two to hold a door open for some stranger either, but you should do it anyway. It's just the right thing.

lol...yes, because letting someone in front of you at the grocery is comparable to a decision that will effect the next 4 years of your life and likely longer. Like I said, I'm actually a very nice and considerate person but I am just not going to put other's needs above my own here. I'm sorry if you disagree with me, but I'm doing what I can within the rules, to ensure the best possible outcome for myself and my SO and ensure our happiness.

lol...yes, because letting someone in front of you at the grocery is comparable to a decision that will effect the next 4 years of your life and likely longer.

You never know, it could be...

(Note: my rational side recognizes that quick pick numbers are generated randomly on the fly so even if Crandell had bought before Mackenzie there is almost no chance that she would have gotten the same numbers but the emotional side that plays the powerball would be pretty devastated)

You never know, it could be...

(Note: my rational side recognizes that quick pick numbers are generated randomly on the fly so even if Crandell had bought before Mackenzie there is almost no chance that she would have gotten the same numbers but the emotional side that plays the powerball would be pretty devastated)

haha...I did think about that but the likely hood of that happening is so small decided not to mention it.
If I won that much money by someone letting me in front of them though, I would find that person and at least give them a few million bc man, they'd have to feel terrible, and I can't imagine what I'd do with $100+ million.

Some people will pay a deposit for the first school they get into and then pay a deposit for their first choice if they get into it much later. I paid my deposit for a school in january but only as of a few days ago (mid may) got into my first choice. I just paid my first choice school deposit. I will be withdrawing from the other school now

just saying holding two seats isn't always malicious it's case by case :)

Some people will pay a deposit for the first school they get into and then pay a deposit for their first choice if they get into it much later. I paid my deposit for a school in january but only as of a few days ago (mid may) got into my first choice. I just paid my first choice school deposit. I will be withdrawing from the other school now

just saying holding two seats isn't always malicious it's case by case :)

This post is from a year ago. Also the issue is holding two acceptances in June. If you were waiting out for an acceptance to your first choice then you should drop one of the current acceptances and wait out till the next one comes.

No one will judge you for holding a single acceptance to a school until you get into a better one. That's what everyone does.