Holiday-Suicide Link is a Myth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Saw this on Medscape and I thought it was interesting.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/776290?src=nl_topic

Meh. While SAD may be an issue in some parts of the country/world, you also have a higher degree of family interaction and connections to people who you otherwise wouldn't in far more areas. It's reasonable to assume that the buffering effects of community involvement would outweigh the sucky weather (according to some people) and family stress.

Also, it was on Freakonomics podcast quite a while ago.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The part I found most interesting was the role of the media in spreading myths about mental health.

Dr. E

Student in my class gave her presentation on suicidal behavior. She discussed "myths" regarding suicide and this came up (i.e., increased suicides during the winter months or around holidays). She then immediately contradicted this and indicated that although there was evidence to the contrary in ever resource she read, she didn't believe it because the media obviously reported more on it during the winter months "and it just made more sense."

As a suicide researcher, I spend a good deal of my time combating persistent myths on the topic. This one is particularly common, even amongst folks who have invested a great deal of thought and energy into the topic.

I know that it's a myth, but anecdotally, my therapy clients seem to always do worse around the holidays.

I know that it's a myth, but anecdotally, my therapy clients seem to always do worse around the holidays.

Well, there is a difference between doing worse and completing (or even attempting) suicide. It would need its own study. :)

I agree with your anecdotal experience, though. As in previous years, cancellations have been rampant this week (sucks for paying my own holiday bills). However, the folks that do show up tend to be more distressed than usual. And there is no shortage of anticipatory anxiety about upcoming family gatherings!

Best,
Dr. E

Interesting thread and topic.

As a suicide researcher, I spend a good deal of my time combating persistent myths on the topic. This one is particularly common, even amongst folks who have invested a great deal of thought and energy into the topic.

I think this highlights the importance of social science research focusing on perceptions and popular discourses.

I agree with your anecdotal experience, though. As in previous years, cancellations have been rampant this week (sucks for paying my own holiday bills). However, the folks that do show up tend to be more distressed than usual.

Having troubles logging into medscape for some reason so can't view the article, but if its reporting an overall mean its important to keep in mind there might be substantial individual variability that washes out to a null effect. For instance, perhaps those with good support are actually at lower risk (thus cancelling their appointments to spend time with family) and those who do not are at higher risk?

Not my area and I'm in no way arguing the above is true, but I think any discussion of this needs the appropriate caveat that we're dealing with research on low-base rate events in an area where ethics obviously preclude any kind of experimental manipulation. While there is some great research on it by Joiner and others, our ability to predict suicide-related events is still mediocre at best and is still very much an active research area. Obviously the best available evidence should inform clinical decision-making and I fully agree with what has been said regarding training and public education issues. Yet at the same time I think its important to recognize we're dealing with an incredible amount of noise in models such as these so its likely premature to assume the absence of increased risk around the holidays holds true across all conceivable contexts and sub-populations.

Last edited:
:claps: Oh, Ollie! Thank you for reminding me why I LOVE psychology research, rather than boring public health research--we look at more than just the writing on the wall, beyond the obvious numbers....!

I can't access the article, either. :cry:

Hmmmm...sorry about the problems accessing the link. Do you have to be a member? People seemed to be able to access the last MedScape link I posted.

MedScape occasionally has interesting stuff in their psychiatry section (particularly if you like to keep up on psychopharm issues). It's free, so if you aren't a member it doesn't hurt to join.

Best,
Dr. E

Just do a search for the thread topic; the article comes up and you can open it from there (even through medscape). Or at least that's the way I was able to access it (without a membership).