Holidays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCU2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what kind of time do residents get off for the holidays? are you all still able to see your fam out of state or do you basically write off those year(s)? Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I get thanksgiving off and i took the day after as well, and I dont' work the weekend, so I get 4 days off. I do have to work Christmas. Generally, you get either thanksgiving or christmas off.

some programs will let you use your vacation days - one year one of our residents left before christmas and didn't come back until after new years.

but in my research it looks like most programs require you to work at least one "major" holiday

Members don't see this ad :)
We have to work 1 major: Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years and 1 minor: Labor Day, Memorial Day, MLK Day.

We have to work 1 major: Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years and 1 minor: Labor Day, Memorial Day, MLK Day.

We also work 1 major and 1 minor. My major is Christmas and my minor is the day after Christmas and I'm lucky enough to be working that weekend too. However, I took off yesterday, today and tomorrow and also have this weekend off so I have a 5 day Thanksgiving weekend! All the other holidays we have off if we want, we just use our vacation time. Our program is rather generous with vacation. We get 96 hrs sick leave and 120 hrs vacation time which started on our first day.