Holistic requests from patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arantius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had this patient who had a bunch of holistic requests for her anesthetic... Like me repeating phrases to her when she was asleep and burning sandalwood incense in the OR. Apparently this was mentioned on a medical TV talk show recently so it's popular...

She also wanted to wear "sea bands" on her wrists to prevent PONV. Which I initially allowed and then about an hour into the case I noticed they were causing pressure indentations in her wrists so I took them off for fear of an actual pressure ulcer. I didn't do the incense thing, but I said the phrases (saying she'll heal quickly and won't have any nausea) and now the surgeons in the room think I'm a weirdo. Obviously no burning incense.

Anyone else hear of this stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope that after hearing her requests and thoroughly reviewing each one you burst out laughing, smacked her across the face and screamed "you will get high dose narcotics, volatile anesthetic and zofran like everyone else g'd damitt".

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Naturopathic anesthesia?

I think I just found my new career calling.

I hope that after hearing her requests and thoroughly reviewing each one you burst out laughing, smacked her across the face and screamed "you will get high dose narcotics, volatile anesthetic and zofran like everyone else g'd damitt".

Thank you for that. I wish I could hit the like button more than once. :highfive:

No. We are a very patient satisfaction driven institution. However this is what i was saying in my head.

Hat off to @Arantius for dealing with cuckoo in a kind manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
To me it's no different than a preop prayer request. Absurd. I ain't participating. Good thing I never had to work with that wacko Carson.

So I had this patient who had a bunch of holistic requests for her anesthetic... Like me repeating phrases to her when she was asleep...

She also wanted to wear "sea bands" on her wrists to prevent PONV.

Done the phrases. Didn't enjoy it, but we're a service industry right?

Some bands on the wrist actually have some data supporting their use, but not sure about pressure ulcers risk with prolonged use.

Incense is likely a fire hazard but maybe some bubble gum lip gloss next time...

Sorry, but I'm not board certified in bull****. That patient needs a "provider," not an "-ologist." You know, someone who can take care of the whole patient.