holy crap, I can't believe no one saw this coming - doom/gloom thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7.62x51

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone talked about pharmacy being saturated by schools pumping out more and more grads. I haven't been on SDN for a while but have people realized that the real threat is from machine automation? Like saturation, it's not just for pharmacy, it applies to almost all jobs out there but pharmacy is particularly vulnerable to automation.

Look up the youtube video "humans need not apply" for a good summary of what's coming in the future.

People told me that pharmacy couldn't be automated, it's complex, there's many drug interactions, symptoms, etc. Well, that's exactly why it will be automated because that's the type of thing computers will be used for. Will it be perfect? No, but it doesn't need to be. It just has to do a better job than humans for a fraction of the price.

If there's any moral of the story here, I suppose it would be that it's big business and not government/educators who are in control of the future.

Members don't see this ad.

there's not doubt telemedicine will become more of a reality in the future. however, pharmacists will not be replaced. as pharmacists become provider status, they will be able to expand their scope of practice. idk about you, but i won't be going to any automated pharmacy anytime soon for my medication. What if you have questions? I'm not going to a machine to direct myself to WebMD for my answers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
there's not doubt telemedicine will become more of a reality in the future. however, pharmacists will not be replaced. as pharmacists become provider status, they will be able to expand their scope of practice. idk about you, but i won't be going to any automated pharmacy anytime soon for my medication. What if you have questions? I'm not going to a machine to direct myself to WebMD for my answers.

You're seriously underestimating what machines can do.
a) Any question you ask the machine has probably already been asked before. A machine can create a database of questions/answers which it can share with other machines. Look at how Google can go as far as predict your question before you finish typing.
b) Medical literature doubles every few years and it's already reaching a point where it's difficult for humans to keep up.
c) If the machine can't answer it, that's when a pharmacist would be called in but over time this would become increasingly rare.

say a machine costs 500k, if a pharmacist costs 100k/year, do the math, within 5 years the machine would pay for itself, within another 5 years it'll pay for another machine

so instead of 5 pharmacists you can cut it down to 2 + machine(s), the primary job of the 2 would be to step in if the machine encounters an issue

so pharmacists won't be completely eliminated but their numbers will be drastically reduced, any job in the future that can be automated most likely will be

if you call someone a "troll" for pointing this out it says more about your ignorance than anything else

Last edited:
Same story I heard from my high school chemistry teacher 6 years ago.. you should not become a pharmacist blah blah

Being a pharmacist is not just about filling prescriptions for your patients, its about seeing if they progress or regress through pharmaceutical treatment. The use of a machine rather than a pharmacist doesn't seem logical to me. A machine blindly giving prescriptions to patients may be efficient, but without an actual pharmacist there, there is no help for the patient and no monitoring of the progression of the treatment.

The scope of practice of pharmacist is leading them to become prescribers. The doctor will diagnose the patient and the pharmacist will pick out the best medicine for the patient not the doctor

So let me make it clear. You say the machine will replace pharmacist in the future, so if it makes any errors, patients will sue it and it will be put in jail.

This sounds like a plot from terminator.
This sounds like a plot from BMBIOLOGY. This guy may be BMB with different username to discourage people to come to pharmacy. Pharmacy is a great profession and I love everything I do. Do not worry about these doom and gloom people.

Reactions: 1 users
I may underestimate the power of machines, but I am quite confident that even if it's viable, the government will not willingly support machines that put pharmacists out of jobs. Pharmacy is a business. And when it, to some extent, revolves around money, people higher up WILL NOT be supporting this technology. Pharmacy schools make millions from tuition, and it's in their best interest to not let a 500k machine take over and put everyone out of a job. And for the economy's sake, whoever the president is in X years will gain no votes if he backs up a robot revolution that kills jobs. Just because something sounds and looks feasible, does not mean it should be made a reality without considering the economic consequences.

Random thought: Pharmacists are one of the first medical professionals to be able to spot potential epidemics that can spread. I doubt technology can detect that. Humans have insights that robots will never completely attain. What about if someone has jaundice, and they stumble into a pharmacy because it's the most accessible place? How will a robot detect liver failure? It's no use. If you argue that machines can even do that, jeez, maybe we should just let robots automatically perform physicals...we wouldn't have to pay MDs anymore for that! So easy, a robot can do it.

Machines can perhaps help out minimally, but they will not be putting pharmacists out of business anytime soon or later, whenever. Or ANY other medical professional for that matter. You look at ATMs. Whoa great technology, they should replace bank tellers right? Nope. They co-exist and compliment each other. Our reliance on technology is great, but when you start to try and make them do everything through intricate programming, you're overestimating their potential, and doing a disservice to the professionals out there who go through a ton of work to care for their patients. To assume a robot can replace them is insulting, to say the least. I am hoping to go into pharmacy. It's great money, for sure. But at the end of the day, it's less about making that six fig salary, than being available to patients and giving them our full attention, care, and empathy. Robots feed into the "treat-the-symptoms" approach to medical care. I'm going into pharmacy to push back against this old way of thinking, and trying for the holistic approach. That's where medicine is going, and not where robots will thrive.

Appr
I may underestimate the power of machines, but I am quite confident that even if it's viable, the government will not willingly support machines that put pharmacists out of jobs. Pharmacy is a business. And when it, to some extent, revolves around money, people higher up WILL NOT be supporting this technology. Pharmacy schools make millions from tuition, and it's in their best interest to not let a 500k machine take over and put everyone out of a job. And for the economy's sake, whoever the president is in X years will gain no votes if he backs up a robot revolution that kills jobs. Just because something sounds and looks feasible, does not mean it should be made a reality without considering the economic consequences.

Random thought: Pharmacists are one of the first medical professionals to be able to spot potential epidemics that can spread. I doubt technology can detect that. Humans have insights that robots will never completely attain. What about if someone has jaundice, and they stumble into a pharmacy because it's the most accessible place? How will a robot detect liver failure? It's no use. If you argue that machines can even do that, jeez, maybe we should just let robots automatically perform physicals...we wouldn't have to pay MDs anymore for that! So easy, a robot can do it.

Machines can perhaps help out minimally, but they will not be putting pharmacists out of business anytime soon or later, whenever. Or ANY other medical professional for that matter. You look at ATMs. Whoa great technology, they should replace bank tellers right? Nope. They co-exist and compliment each other. Our reliance on technology is great, but when you start to try and make them do everything through intricate programming, you're overestimating their potential, and doing a disservice to the professionals out there who go through a ton of work to care for their patients. To assume a robot can replace them is insulting, to say the least. I am hoping to go into pharmacy. It's great money, for sure. But at the end of the day, it's less about making that six fig salary, than being available to patients and giving them our full attention, care, and empathy. Robots feed into the "treat-the-symptoms" approach to medical care. I'm going into pharmacy to push back against this old way of thinking, and trying for the holistic approach. That's where medicine is going, and not where robots will thrive.
Appreciated your lengthy point but the OP is actually BMB in disguise. This guy has a history to spreading doom and gloom and discourage people to do pharmacy because he is afraid you guys will compete the job with him. He has some followers in this forum and over years they keep posting thread like this. Disregard their threads but your points are good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't understand why people have to discourage others from going into a certain field. I never let one person's bitter opinion ruin what I wanna pursue.

Reactions: 1 users
I love reading this crap! It's so funny!
Me too. The person who is writing this probably got fired from their job or they just couldn't handle the pressure. A lot of people don't want to pursue pharmacy because of dealing with groggy patients. But the truth is, your most likely gonna deal with groggy patients no matter what branch of the medical field you go into.

Me too. The person who is writing this probably got fired from their job or they just couldn't handle the pressure. A lot of people don't want to pursue pharmacy because of dealing with groggy patients. But the truth is, your most likely gonna deal with groggy patients no matter what branch of the medical field you go into.
I couldn't have explained it any better myself!

No one can force a business to hire workers it no longer needs. Remember what happened to the automative manufacturing industry? That was just a sign of things to come, in the future the question will be which jobs AREN'T vulnerable to machine/computer automation?

Can't see pharmacists being around much longer. Already most people think they just count pills and are over paid for what they do. Regardless of what you believe it's true that there's a lot of redundancy and that pharmacists aren't cheap. Hence the high incentive to replace them.

yeah but that's not what they're hired for, again as I said in first post, you have to think about this from the perspective of what's beneficial for the business

pretty sure you haven't done any research on this topic
http://gawker.com/bank-tellers-ask-banks-please-dont-replace-us-with-vi-1457730227
http://www.businessinsider.com/chec...t-are-on-track-to-replace-bank-tellers-2012-5
http://business.time.com/2012/05/17/will-new-atms-replace-bank-tellers/

good example though of how it happens; gradual process

the important thing to realize is it's not a matter of IF but WHEN

reply is bolded in quote

also, based on the replies in this thread it's clear that no one watched the video so I've embedded it, please watch it first

Last edited:
reply is bolded in quote

also, based on the replies in this thread it's clear that no one watched the video so I've embedded it, please watch it first

Who cares if pharmacists get replaced by robots, it's the automated, pre-programmed, emotionless computer that will be filling your medications and when you want that "empathetic or compassionate" response from it after you just got diagnosed with a life-threatening disease, that computer will be there to tell you "Good luck Charlie".

Who cares if pharmacists get replaced by robots, it's the automated, pre-programmed, emotionless computer that will be filling your medications and when you want that "empathetic or compassionate" response from it after you just got diagnosed with a life-threatening disease, that computer will be there to tell you "Good luck Charlie".

who would care ?? working pharmacists, pharmacy students, pharmacy schools, the whole pharmacy profession, etc.

who wouldn't ?? big corporation/business

the day will come eventually.... If Google can make a car now that drives itself safer than real humans, then pharmacy robots will one day rule in hospitals or retails....

it is not about whether the computers/bots could be passionate or empathetic, it is about how much big corporation/business could save or make employing those robots. Whenever I have to call a bank or a company, most of the time I am ripping my hair off talking to a robot which runs me to layers upon layers on menu. Do they care ?? It is already happening in many fields or facets of life.

When they can do away with less using those robots, they will. Believe it or not, it is always about the money !! ;)

For now, I think automation is too costly and malfunctioning. But in the future when the small-scale automation becomes inexpensive, I strongly believe that it can only benefit the independent pharmacists. Maybe few technicians gets laid off but not the pharmacist.

Counting pill is not exactly the best usage of pharmacists time and service anyways. We would use our extra time to actually do our jobs. Talk to the patients and do enough medication therapy management. Maybe make dietary suggestions. Get to know the people. Be part of the community. Most of service jobs cannot be displaced by the machine. We have ATMs since 1960s but we still go to the tellers in the bank.

Also, the other benefit of automation is that big franchises would loose the competitive advantage to squeeze the small guys. Although they might still have the large purchasing power, departmental efficiency is achieved by robots so every drug store is equally efficient in terms of dispensing and managing stocks. That's a good news.

On a certain level, I get it, you probably see a lot of these gloom/doom threads.

However, these threads exist for a reason. It's because of these "troll" threads that I knew about the coming wave of saturation in the states long before most people even knew what saturation in pharmacy was about and to me, that information was critical. Back then people were saying the same thing "so what? not ALL places are saturated! These people just want to discourage the competition."

I find it morally reprehensible that you would encourage others to stick their head in the sand.

Next time, if you have something helpful to say then just say it. Doubt you care much what happens to this profession after you retire (why are you even on here anyway?).

I'm sure most people can decide for themselves whether or not I'm a troll without your reminders.

And FTR I've never heard of the other guy you mentioned, I'm still aiming for pharmacy because I'm in too deep to quit but hoping that I can get at least a good 10-20 years out of it before automation wipes it out (and by wipe out I mean dramatically cut down the need for humans). The other reason I'm not too eager to jump the boat is that this time it's not just about pharmacy, sooner or later, virtually all "professions" will end this way. Of course it'll start with the simpler jobs, fast food, truck drivers, etc and then it'll work it's way up but you're in denial if you think we're somehow exempt because we went through years of school and payed hundred of thousands in tuition. Instead of being in denial about it, I'm preparing for it.

I could say so much more about this but it's starting to feel like I'm talking to religious zealots.

Last edited:
On a certain level, I get it, you probably see a lot of these gloom/doom threads.

However, these threads exist for a reason. It's because of these "troll" threads that I knew about the coming wave of saturation in the states long before most people even knew what saturation in pharmacy was about and to me, that information was critical. Back then people were saying the same thing "so what? not ALL places are saturated! These people just want to discourage the competition."

I find it morally reprehensible that you would encourage others to stick their head in the sand.

Next time, if you have something helpful to say then just say it. Doubt you care much what happens to this profession after you retire (why are you even on here anyway?).

I'm sure most people can decide for themselves whether or not I'm a troll without your reminders.

And FTR I've never heard of the other guy you mentioned, I'm still aiming for pharmacy because I'm in too deep to quit but hoping that I can get at least a good 10-20 years out of it before automation wipes it out (and by wipe out I mean dramatically cut down the need for humans). The other reason I'm not too eager to jump the boat is that this time it's not just about pharmacy, sooner or later, virtually all "professions" will end this way. Of course it'll start with the simpler jobs, fast food, truck drivers, etc and then it'll work it's way up but you're in denial if you think we're somehow exempt because we went through years of school and payed hundred of thousands in tuition. Instead of being in denial about it, I'm preparing for it.

I could say so much more about this but it's starting to feel like I'm talking to religious zealots.
:troll:

well said !! :thumbup::thumbup:

who would care ?? working pharmacists, pharmacy students, pharmacy schools, the whole pharmacy profession, etc.

who wouldn't ?? big corporation/business

the day will come eventually.... If Google can make a car now that drives itself safer than real humans, then pharmacy robots will one day rule in hospitals or retails....

it is not about whether the computers/bots could be passionate or empathetic, it is about how much big corporation/business could save or make employing those robots. Whenever I have to call a bank or a company, most of the time I am ripping my hair off talking to a robot which runs me to layers upon layers on menu. Do they care ?? It is already happening in many fields or facets of life.

When they can do away with less using those robots, they will. Believe it or not, it is always about the money !! ;)

It was sarcasm (FYI).