"Holy Grail in the war against cancer!"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cooldynasty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
The manuscript was published in 2012

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! What a mice. Did the mice survive all these?

Here's the
The manuscript was published in 2012
Any reason for posting old news?

That's what I thought at first, too, but I believe they are referring to a more recently published manuscript, with the 2012 paper serving only as background information. Then again, I don't have time to look into it, so I could be wrong.

Still, tho, if I'm right, they should have referenced the most recent paper, as well.

We're all smart lads here. I think we can handle the actual article and not the sensationalized Fox News article, yes?

The article is here.

Yes, many (if not all) tumors express CD47, a cell-surface protein. Thing is, so do many (if not most) other cells. Stanford will undertake clinical trials this year, so good luck to them.

Edit: For those curious, the Fox News article is a lie. Nobody found "A treatment for all kinds of cancer." That's PR talk for "Scientists find that mAb against CD47 stops metastasis of xenografted tumors in immunocompromised mice." Still exciting stuff, but not the hyperbole that the pop-science article described.

No treatment is proven until it works in humans. In other words.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Blessings to Stanford University for their hard work on this.
I pray they give me acceptance into their medical school.

I thought this was going to be a post criticizing articles like the one listed. Bit disappointed.

We're all smart lads here. I think we can handle the actual article and not the sensationalized Fox News article, yes?

The article is here.

Yes, many (if not all) tumors express CD47, a cell-surface protein. Thing is, so do many (if not most) other cells. Stanford will undertake clinical trials this year, so good luck to them.

Edit: For those curious, the Fox News article is a lie. Nobody found "A treatment for all kinds of cancer." That's PR talk for "Scientists find that mAb against CD47 stops metastasis of xenografted tumors in immunocompromised mice." Still exciting stuff, but not the hyperbole that the pop-science article described.

No treatment is proven until it works in humans. In other words.

I thought this was going to be a post criticizing articles like the one listed. Bit disappointed.

I'm not a fan of Fox News by any means, but there are much worse things that Fox puts up on their website than this.

I'm not a fan of Fox News by any means, but there are much worse things that Fox puts up on their website than this.
That's true. I guess I'm guilty of this too.

Mom: What are you even doing in that lab?
Me: Um... vesicle trafficking and membrane dynamics.
Mom: What does that mean?
Me: Uh, curing cancer.
Mom: Yay!

Reactions: 6 users
I shadow an incredible doctor at NIH, Dr Rosenberg, the most cited cancer researcher (look it up not lying)

Current trials deal with re-engineering T cells to treat cancer, specifically melanoma.

That's true. I guess I'm guilty of this too.

Me: Um... vesicle trafficking and membrane dynamics.
Me: Uh, curing cancer.
Mom: Yay!
hmm I've always gone the opposite way...
Me: *blah blah blah* (depending on which lab at the time)
Me: Basically nothing.
Mom: Oh.

After my first few years, I've become really pessimistic about research (particularly about any actual useful applications in my lifetime)

I saw this article circulating on FB yesterday. That's probably where it came from. Honestly, it's nothing new.