Home Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myr11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just applied for my NPI number as I received an official copy of license yesterday to practice in NYS!

My question is, does the billing for home care services mirror that of a medicare patient in an outpatient setting? (as far as which CPT codes are used).

What is the average cost of a home care visit (Max number of units you can bill etc.?)

Anyone have recommendations on billing literature which I can find online or purchase for practice?

Any info appreciated thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are purely doing therapy in the home, then yes it IS part B services with Medicare, same rules and regs. There is no "max" but there are billing practices which raise the eyeborws of your fiscal intermediaries. You can get reports of your patterns of your area and if you stay below that it helps stay off a radar. Anyway, 4 units is average with a billing including secondary of about 125 per visit. Those 4 units are for an hour visit. The CPT codes you can pick are listed, but there are some that are more scrutinized than others, and you should know all of this before contracting with CMS. Read your LCD this will help. There is software that does a great job billing for you but make sure they go after the secondaries. Some of the software is free so long as they do your billing. Good luck.