Hometown, TMDSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

appletree321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For one of my secondary prompts, I have to write what I like/dislike about my hometown - would it be weird if it's a foreign country? I've lived there the longest and I feel like I can explain it better; however, my state Texas is ~90% in-state so I'm not sure if this will be received well. Maybe they might think I'm not committed to practicing medicine here?

I also wrote a Texas city as my hometown on TMDSAS. Would ADCOMs who review my secondary essay & the app think this inconsistency is strange?

Members don't see this ad.

For one of my secondary prompts, I have to write what I like/dislike about my hometown - would it be weird if it's a foreign country? I've lived there the longest and I feel like I can explain it better; however, my state Texas is ~90% in-state so I'm not sure if this will be received well. Maybe they might think I'm not committed to practicing medicine here?

I also wrote a Texas city as my hometown on TMDSAS. Would ADCOMs who review my secondary essay & the app think this inconsistency is strange?
I'd suggest that your Texas hometown is more likely to be what adcomms want to hear about. @DokterMom for an insider view on the question.

Texans are funny that way -- You know how Americans think we're special? Exceptionalism? Multiply that by ten for Texans... (not all, but many)

Just my opinion, but I think an essay comparing and contrasting your foreign hometown with your Texas hometown might be a breath of fresh air. So long as the Texas town 'wins' of course ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Texans are funny that way -- You know how Americans think we're special? Exceptionalism? Multiply that by ten for Texans... (not all, but many)

Just my opinion, but I think an essay comparing and contrasting your foreign hometown with your Texas hometown might be a breath of fresh air. So long as the Texas town 'wins' of course ;)
. . . and you mention Chuck Norris' visit there. (j/k)

Reactions: 1 user
Having lived there, all I can say is read James Michener's novel "Texas" and you'll fully understand why Texans are Texans.

Complete trivial comment: whenever I do presentations on the application process, after AMCAS and ACCOMAS, getting to TMDSAS and explaining how Texas has it own system reminds me that the state is ready to secede and declare independence at a moment's notice.

Reactions: 2 users
Complete trivial comment: whenever I do presentations on the application process, after AMCAS and ACCOMAS, getting to TMDSAS and explaining how Texas has it own system reminds me that the state is ready to secede and declare independence at a moment's notice.

If only we wouldn't have to take Ted Cruz with us...

Key point for Texas: Each mention of "Sam Houston", "Steven F. Austin", "Alamo" and "GOLIAD!" nets you a +1 MCAT advantage.

Last edited: