Homosexuality and Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidwesternGuy101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am here to find out information, perspective experiences, and advice on my homosexuality and dental admission and schooling. I am curious as to people's personal stories of being gay and in dental school. To any fellow LGBT person to make it through dental school: Was it as big of a deal as you thought it would be? Did it truly affect your admission in anyway?

Any and all productive thoughts about being gay and going into dental will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I also had a question about being african american(black) and going to dental school? Anybody here black and get into dental school?
Any and all productive thoughts about being african american and going into dental will be appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All of you guys will be fine.
My 3 best friends in dental school includes a homosexual, an African American and a former president of the Iraqi women interested in pediatric dentistry.
We have learned to accept each other for who we are, and learn not to discriminate.
Everyone seems to ignore the kid with really bad acne though. That's just gross.

Reactions: 13 users
Why would your sexuality make a difference? I wouldn't even mention it.

As you can see, you might experience a bit of homophobia here and there. But you should be fine, there will be lots of accepting adcoms and other students.

I think that homophobia and the bullying of people is something terrible that happens everywhere, not just in dental school. At my school, we are not lecture based, but we study in groups of eight students, and there is this one bully who always makes fun of another guy during discussion sessions (his hand movements, how skinny he is, how "weak" he is) - and all the other guy can do is just sit there and smile and laugh it off...

It's really shocking because the bully is actually part of a religious club in the dental school that reads scriptures every week during lunch ... what!?? I'm really confused.

It is really terrible.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
All of you will be fine. There's no need to mention your sexuality during admission. Depending on which school u go to, students at some places may be more accepting than others, but in dental school, people hardly have time to make fun of people. Students are usually there to help each other out... with some exceptions ofc..But then nobody cares about that group of people anyways! :)

Let your work and your person speak for yourself. There will always be people who like you, and dislike you for who you are, no matter what your sexual orientation, race, sex, or ethnicity is - that's called life

If you think that you can always please everyone or that everyone will always like or accept you for the person that you are, then more than likely you'll end up causing yourself more mental anguish that it's really worth towards that person(s) - once again, that's just called life. And while equality is a great, utopian concept the reality is that were all different people with different strengths and weaknesses - just do your best with what you were given and realize that there are some things that no matter how much you try and/or want too, you're likely not going to excel at as much as others - for example, at 6'3" and 230lbs, I'm quite sure that I'm never going to be a good jockey or a good gymnast just based on my size ;)

Reactions: 1 user