Honest Evaluation (Be Warned, it's a long wall of text)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc50628

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a Sophomore in Undergrad as a Pre-Med and I've noticed this site can be incredibly helpful for several reasons, one of the most popular being that it seems like the mods are pretty active at answering questions and helping clarify any concerns. Without further delay, here is my story: In High School I was an all A and B student, only had one C in one class ever, which was Pre-Calc which also happened to be dual credit through the University that my high school offered the program through. I graduated with a 3.5'ish GPA and that was that. Now comes where things get more interesting. My Freshman year of college, I had an extremely rough year. Granted, it was nearly all self made, but it was a tough year grade wise. I was used to being able to study for a night or two at a time and that was all I needed in order to get A's in my AP classes (I had 7 over the course of my High School career, and several more dual credits. Passed all my AP exams and all the dual credits.)
My freshman year I wound up first semester railing pretty much all B's in my BCMP classes and labs, except I had a D- in Calc... This by far is my worst academic short coming. I am planning to retake this class. After Christmas break, I came back and went a little bit harder, but managed all B's again. (My school didn't do A-/B+ otherwise nearly all of them would of been either one of those.) After that year, my family moved across the country and I transferred to a new University. I got a B- in OChem I, a A- in OChem I Lab, an A in Physics I, and a B+ in Anatomy and Phys I. The next semester (the semester that just ended) I had the second part of all of those classes and things were (unfortunately) a little different. I got an A- in OChem II Lab, an B+/A- in Physics II (professor hasn't made up his mind yet), a B in Anatomy and Phys II, and the next kicker a D+ or a C- in OChem II.

Based off this information, I know it would seem like I am just a average student, or maybe even lower because of the few crappier grades (the D- in Calc, C in PreCalc, and D+/C- in OChem II) but I swear that isn't the case. Each time has had one mistake that has wound up being a costly one, with OChem II it was getting a new job in the middle of the semester(I had a B+ average going into the final) and I know that's not a good enough excuse, but I can't help but stress and think that it's all over because of my college academic career so far.

My real question is, if I am making sure I do everything I can to try and straighten myself out, am I too far gone to be saved to apply for MD school, or worst case scenario am I too far gone for DO school too since I know they are a bit more lenient. If I am, I know I have no one to blame but myself and I will take responsibility for that, but it's just getting within a year of "Application Dates" and two years from Graduation so I'm trying to kind of figure out what I need to be looking for career wise: If Medical school will be an option, or if I need to look at Grad school classes. Sorry for the massive wall of text, but I appreciate any input I can and I tried to break it up for you.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your cGPA and sGPAs? You don't have to apply after junior year. You can take a Gap year or two. This would let you work on your GPAs and your ECs. (Which you didn't mention at all. )

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Cumulative GPA (I assume that's what cGPA is) is a 3.45 right now, and Science GPA as of now is a 3.2, and looks to not get much higher even if I get all A's next year. Extra Curriculars I assume is EC's, as for those I'm a member of a fraternity, was Vice President for a year and a half, Social chair before that, have several volunteer hours, I work, and Shadow. I'm also a Nationally Certified Phlebotomist and trying to get a job there so I can get a job that gives me patient exposure. Also, I know in the grand scheme of things this doesn't count for much, but my dad is a Physician (30+ years) and I have been "shadowing" him ever since I can remember and every chance I get.

Members don't see this ad :)
It could also very much depend on your MCAT scores. Get high MCAT scores and you'll be much more competitive for MD schools.

Check this link out

Thank you all so much for everything said so far!

You're probably out of luck for MD. You have to get a 4.0 and very strong MCAT to have a prayer for MD. You're fine for DO if you get a decent MCAT.

Time management. Master it. Many people have worked multiple jobs, juggled research, EC, etc and still get stellar grades. It will help you in the long run. SMP/Post-bacc with a high MCAT will be a must for MD.

You're probably out of luck for MD. You have to get a 4.0 and very strong MCAT to have a prayer for MD. You're fine for DO if you get a decent MCAT.

This isn't true. Plenty of people are admitted without a 4.0.

Reactions: 2 users