Honest Opinions on EMT Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adolpho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My son has decided to join the medical field. Although not a doctor like his mother he wants to become an EMT. I give him all the credit in the world, it’s not the field for everyone but this world needs first responders!

He has done some research and found a few programs that to me look like they can give him what he needs. Basically we’re looking for a program within a few miles from home, offers certification, a quick program if possible, and not that high in price.

Please, if anyone has some honest and serious opinions about each of these I would appreciate hearing from you.

EMS Training Institute is offering an online EMT option. Although they did seem very nice on the phone when I called the other day, I don’t feel that comfortable letting him take an online course especially in this field. Anyone hear about them and or been to one of the EMT Transition courses please speak up and share your experiences. How well did the online training work for you?

Foothill College is another one he is looking at and it looks like they have a terrific program. Sam is looking for a quick route so this may be an option. If there are any grad’s would love to hear your reviews of the program. What all certifications do you receive and did the course live up to your expectations?

Unitek Education offers a 14 day EMT boot camp. I called them today and heard a bit about the program. I saw their facebook page and it looks like the program is booming. It is pretty close to us and is something he and I may be considering but again would like to hear from past students if possible.

Chabot fire offers EMT certification but I didn’t get to do much research on them yet. My son mentioned they don’t offer a summer program but since summer is almost over anyway, if anyone knows when the next class beings or has any insight please share what you know.

Some guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not do an online EMT course.
If he wants to get into EMS full time, he will have a difficult time if he is not a paramedic. If he intends to go to paramedic school, doing one of the month long full time courses would suffice, he can also get college credit in many situations.
If he just wants to do EMT on the side or for the knowledge, Id look into one of the 3 month part time courses, it gives you plenty of time to absorb and get knowledge of skills.
Looking at your list, the last one may be a good option because it gives you a chance to do both hospital and ambulance time.
If he does go to paramedic school, steer away from the patch mill programs, they are not seen well among the profession and often times patch mill products have a difficult time once they are on clinicals and ride time. Look to spend at least 9 months getting your paramedic degree after EMT school with more (preferrably an AAS) preferred.
I went to a 3 month course for my EMT in high school and did a 12 month part time course while I was in college and both gave me enough chances to become a good paramedic.

Thanks for the reply and appreciate the tips and suggestions.

I think he’ll become interestedin the paramedic side of things once he is working as an EMT and on the job awhile. Thanks for those tips as well and if any quetsions arise will look you up when we reach that point.

No, I didn’t think online courses were the way to go with theEMT training, and was trying to get that through to him.

He narrowed it down quite a bit after being on the phone allday yesterday with quite a large list of training options. He is pursing the 2nd and 3rd option above and should bemaking a decision soon so will be sure to update the post.

Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad :)
My son has decided to join the medical field. Although not a doctor like his mother he wants to become an EMT. I give him all the credit in the world, it's not the field for everyone but this world needs first responders!

He has done some research and found a few programs that to me look like they can give him what he needs. Basically we're looking for a program within a few miles from home, offers certification, a quick program if possible, and not that high in price.

Please, if anyone has some honest and serious opinions about each of these I would appreciate hearing from you.

EMS Training Institute is offering an online EMT option. Although they did seem very nice on the phone when I called the other day, I don't feel that comfortable letting him take an online course especially in this field. Anyone hear about them and or been to one of the EMT Transition courses please speak up and share your experiences. How well did the online training work for you?

Foothill College is another one he is looking at and it looks like they have a terrific program. Sam is looking for a quick route so this may be an option. If there are any grad's would love to hear your reviews of the program. What all certifications do you receive and did the course live up to your expectations?

Unitek Education offers a 14 day EMT boot camp. I called them today and heard a bit about the program. I saw their facebook page and it looks like the program is booming. It is pretty close to us and is something he and I may be considering but again would like to hear from past students if possible.

Chabot fire offers EMT certification but I didn't get to do much research on them yet. My son mentioned they don't offer a summer program but since summer is almost over anyway, if anyone knows when the next class beings or has any insight please share what you know.

I assume you are in the Bay Area, based on your choices?

Right off the bat, rule out the online course. Not worth the $$, horrible reputation, not respected and he'll have to orchestrate on-site clinicals anyways. The only person I'd ever advise for an online EMT course would be someone who's already an EMT working in Iraq or on an oil rig or something and can't get back to re-cert.

Next: Unitek has a HORRIBLE reputation out in the field. I have been in EMS in the Bay Area for four years and know more than two organizations that stopped taking their students as ride-alongs because they were so ill-prepared and embarrassingly clueless. Try to avoid most rushed/bootcamp style EMT schools... they're good for people whose certs have lapsed but not for a first time student. Particularly the extremely rushed ones. 14 days is just a marketing gimmick... it doesn't produce quality grads. Look into their NREMT pass rate #s and compare to other semester-long programs.

Along those lines, it's a good rule of thumb to avoid ALL for-profit healthcare programs (EMT, Paramedic, LVN, RN...etc etc). They're predatory, often not accredited and prey on desperate people looking to make an easy career change and who don't do their due diligence. I've heard horror stories of for-profit "patch factories" all but signing the Sallie Mae loan forms for the student. Basically they just churn out grads to tap the financial aid... and meanwhile the new grad students are left with huge debts they can't pay off in poor job markets.

Get him enrolled in an accredited community college EMT program.

Those privates like Unitek can run 4k or 5k for a 14 day course... which doesn't include NREMT fees, livescan background checks ($70 a pop, he will need about three- state, DMV, and NREMT) and ambulance drivers license and medical DM50 form fees. So add on $1000 to any tuition for certification stuff... all that BEFORE he can even go out and apply for jobs.

For comparison, the community college programs will be about $500 MAX including books and class fees. Much better bang for your buck for what will be a 25k a year job when he gets out in the field.

Keep in mind that the job market for entry level EMTs right now in the Bay Area is NOT GOOD. With luck he will land an entry level intra-facility transport gig at a BLS company for $9 an hour. Why pay 4k to land a $9 an hour job when $500 at a community college would get you the same exact certification and probably a higher quality of instruction?

The community college programs (and nonprofit educational schools such as San Francisco Paramedic Association) are widely recognized and respected for producing graduates that can pass their national certification exam on the first attempt and also often get hired by their clinical sites.

Do more research on these programs before handing over your money! For example, look at the yelp reviews here:
SFPA
http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-francisco-paramedic-association-san-francisco-2

vs unitek:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/unitek-college-fremont-2

vs Foothill:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/foothill-college-los-altos-hills

For what it's worth, Foothill has been called "the Harvard of community colleges" and also has a Paramedic program. So someone who did their EMT there would have great exposure to the paramedic instructors, program etc if they wanted to go onwards. Also Foothills Physician Assistant Program is affiliated with Stanford. So good place to be networking and connection wise for someone starting off a career in healthcare!

Also if he's enrolled in Foothill or another of the community college programs he could also or later chose to work towards an Associates degree and even transfer somewhere and do a bachelors down the road. All good things. He could also enroll in some classes to supplement his EMT (and lots of the better Paramedic programs require these as pre-recs anyways...): Anatomy, physiology, microbiology, Chem I... etc etc

A few other programs in teh area that have good reputations:
City College in SF (although City college itself is having some programs now... so maybe stay away)
San Jose City College
Westmed (private... you know my opinion on this!)
Fast Response in Berkeley (if you must go private this is better than Unitek imho)
Skyline College in San Bruno (one of my old companies hired LOTS of these grads!)
I think there are a few other good community college options in the South Bay for EMT, but I can't recall the exact names right now. But basically check whatever community college is closest to your house, and if they have an Allied Health Department they probably have an EMT program.

How old is your son? If he's under 21 he might have a hard time getting a job even though 18-21 year olds can take and pass the NREMT. Most ambulance companies won't hire under 21 for insurance reasons. However, he could start volunteering and get the class under his belt. He could also work as an EMT at a camp for kids or Six Flags (somewhere without transport).

Anyways... best of luck to him! Feel free to PM me with specific questions- I'm a Paramedic, an instructor, and also do career counseling and resume help for newbie EMTs.

Cheers,
Beandip

Last edited:
don't do an online program
if there is a regional occupational program in your area look into that.
the courses are usually inexpensive and taught after hrs at high schools to members of the community looking to get into entry level fields in health care, security, auto tech, etc
I did an rop emt program as a senior in high school and I think I just had to pay for the books. great course. mine was mwf nights 6-9 pm for 6 months plus a few saturdays in the hospital and on the ambulance.prepared me very well as an entry into health care.
foothill is also an excellent program as is the program in santa cruz at the emergency training services:
https://www.etsclassroom.com/
I did my paramedic training there.

I’ve heard plenty of great viewpoints on quite a few schools over the past month, so thank you to all the members here for taking the time to reply.

We visited Foothill, Unitek Education, Skyline, and a few others in between. After sitting in on a class the vibe at Unitek Education was definitely intriguing. It seemed like the students really took to the instructor. My son met a past student from their as well, which my wife really hoped he did before starting, and he enrolled 2 weeks ago.

I’ll be back to report the progress, but again, thank you for all who replied.

I assume you are in the Bay Area, based on your choices?

Right off the bat, rule out the online course. Not worth the $$, horrible reputation, not respected and he'll have to orchestrate on-site clinicals anyways. The only person I'd ever advise for an online EMT course would be someone who's already an EMT working in Iraq or on an oil rig or something and can't get back to re-cert.

Next: Unitek has a HORRIBLE reputation out in the field. I have been in EMS in the Bay Area for four years and know more than two organizations that stopped taking their students as ride-alongs because they were so ill-prepared and embarrassingly clueless. Try to avoid most rushed/bootcamp style EMT schools... they're good for people whose certs have lapsed but not for a first time student. Particularly the extremely rushed ones. 14 days is just a marketing gimmick... it doesn't produce quality grads. Look into their NREMT pass rate #s and compare to other semester-long programs.

Along those lines, it's a good rule of thumb to avoid ALL for-profit healthcare programs (EMT, Paramedic, LVN, RN...etc etc). They're predatory, often not accredited and prey on desperate people looking to make an easy career change and who don't do their due diligence. I've heard horror stories of for-profit "patch factories" all but signing the Sallie Mae loan forms for the student. Basically they just churn out grads to tap the financial aid... and meanwhile the new grad students are left with huge debts they can't pay off in poor job markets.

Get him enrolled in an accredited community college EMT program.

Those privates like Unitek can run 4k or 5k for a 14 day course... which doesn't include NREMT fees, livescan background checks ($70 a pop, he will need about three- state, DMV, and NREMT) and ambulance drivers license and medical DM50 form fees. So add on $1000 to any tuition for certification stuff... all that BEFORE he can even go out and apply for jobs.

For comparison, the community college programs will be about $500 MAX including books and class fees. Much better bang for your buck for what will be a 25k a year job when he gets out in the field.

Keep in mind that the job market for entry level EMTs right now in the Bay Area is NOT GOOD. With luck he will land an entry level intra-facility transport gig at a BLS company for $9 an hour. Why pay 4k to land a $9 an hour job when $500 at a community college would get you the same exact certification and probably a higher quality of instruction?

The community college programs (and nonprofit educational schools such as San Francisco Paramedic Association) are widely recognized and respected for producing graduates that can pass their national certification exam on the first attempt and also often get hired by their clinical sites.

Do more research on these programs before handing over your money! For example, look at the yelp reviews here:
SFPA
http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-francisco-paramedic-association-san-francisco-2

vs unitek:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/unitek-college-fremont-2

vs Foothill:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/foothill-college-los-altos-hills

For what it's worth, Foothill has been called "the Harvard of community colleges" and also has a Paramedic program. So someone who did their EMT there would have great exposure to the paramedic instructors, program etc if they wanted to go onwards. Also Foothills Physician Assistant Program is affiliated with Stanford. So good place to be networking and connection wise for someone starting off a career in healthcare!

Also if he's enrolled in Foothill or another of the community college programs he could also or later chose to work towards an Associates degree and even transfer somewhere and do a bachelors down the road. All good things. He could also enroll in some classes to supplement his EMT (and lots of the better Paramedic programs require these as pre-recs anyways...): Anatomy, physiology, microbiology, Chem I... etc etc

A few other programs in teh area that have good reputations:
City College in SF (although City college itself is having some programs now... so maybe stay away)
San Jose City College
Westmed (private... you know my opinion on this!)
Fast Response in Berkeley (if you must go private this is better than Unitek imho)
Skyline College in San Bruno (one of my old companies hired LOTS of these grads!)
I think there are a few other good community college options in the South Bay for EMT, but I can't recall the exact names right now. But basically check whatever community college is closest to your house, and if they have an Allied Health Department they probably have an EMT program.

How old is your son? If he's under 21 he might have a hard time getting a job even though 18-21 year olds can take and pass the NREMT. Most ambulance companies won't hire under 21 for insurance reasons. However, he could start volunteering and get the class under his belt. He could also work as an EMT at a camp for kids or Six Flags (somewhere without transport).

Anyways... best of luck to him! Feel free to PM me with specific questions- I'm a Paramedic, an instructor, and also do career counseling and resume help for newbie EMTs.

Cheers,
Beandip

Couldn't have said it better myself, I'm not familiar with the bay area, but where I live (Chicago), employers really do look to see where you took your class when deciding whether or not they want to hir you.

Hey guys, my son didn’t go to Unitek College he went to Unitek Education. He survived the camp and nremt. I was impressed with the amount of training you need to undergo in 2 weeks. They covered all the training required, and he liked the fast pace of the camp.

He found employment and I guess he and the guys get together a few times a week for drinks. My wife says she seems him more now than she use to. (If he happens to have a trip at the hospital my wife works for he makes sure to stop in to say hello.)

Some of his days are stressful but I guess it goes with the job. My wife worries that he works too many hours. He is young and enjoying his life, so I’m not harassing him about that, a good work ethic is priceless. :thumbup:

I’ll be back to explore everyone’s thoughts on paramedic training once he is ready.

Reactions: 1 user
My son has decided to join the medical field. Although not a doctor like his mother he wants to become an EMT. I give him all the credit in the world, it’s not the field for everyone but this world needs first responders!

He has done some research and found a few programs that to me look like they can give him what he needs. Basically we’re looking for a program within a few miles from home, offers certification, a quick program if possible, and not that high in price.

EMS Training Institute is offering an online EMT option. Although they did seem very nice on the phone when I called the other day, I don’t feel that comfortable letting him take an online course especially in this field. Anyone hear about them and or been to one of the EMT Transition courses please speak up and share your experiences. How well did the online training work for you?

Foothill College is another one he is looking at and it looks like they have a terrific program. Sam is looking for a quick route so this may be an option. If there are any grad’s would love to hear your reviews of the program. What all certifications do you receive and did the course live up to your expectations?

Chabot fire offers EMT certification but I didn’t get to do much research on them yet. My son mentioned they don’t offer a summer program but since summer is almost over anyway, if anyone knows when the next class beings or has any insight please share what you know.

Avoid Unitek and online programs like the plague. I looked into Unitek years ago, and I still get spam email from them about their upcoming classes, despite calling them and asking them to remove me from their mailing list. Unitek has a horrible reputation.

San Francisco Paramedic Association
Unfortunately the San Francisco Paramedic Association went into Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in July 2014. There were a great organization with high quality instructors. Safety Training Seminars was able to purchase much of their ACLS, PALS, and BLS equipment and has hired many of their best American Heart Association ACLS and PALS instructors. View their upcoming ACLS Classes in the Bay Area.

Can anyone actually tell me how to check the pass rates for particular "EMT" schools. I have a real concern about long term performance and retention of learned skills and knowledge in relation to the length of time your average EMT is employed. There seems to be a relationship between earnings and the fact that your average EMT only lasts a year or so. Thus biasing the education process in favor of substandard courses. Any one with research regarding "accelerated" schools would be helpful as well. It seems that rather than advancing Pre-Hospital care, the Nation has taken a different turn of late and the EMT/Medic schools themselves, because of the lack of the instructor's education level, and public apathy, and the fact that the Medical community as a whole has lost control of pre-hospital care, this is having a negative effect, at a nation wide level???? I mean things like: regionalized based care paradigms have taken a big back seat to fire Department politics, and rather than MD based instructors the private industry has enforced a minimal education standard for instructors. I mean my children's Kindergarten teacher went to school for 6 years to learn to teach, my EMT instructor, with his GED took a six hour course on how to teach??? And this same "instructor" runs a 110 hour Boot camp pumping out hundreds of "idiots" per year who have no business whatsoever near real patients???? So I could really use some research about the efficacy of these accelerated schools???? Preferably from someone who doesn't have in interest in same said school??? I see a real problem here, does anyone else??

no research to present, just my anecdotal experience from almost 30 years working in ems and emergency medicine- the best programs are the ones done over a semester or so at minimal expense to the student. programs at community colleges and taught to seniors in high school meet this criteria. I am not a fan AT ALL of fire based ems or fire based ems instruction. I have taught WFRs, EMTs, and medics for years and prefer a diligent high school or college student over some yahoo who barely graduated high school and who just wants to be an EMT to get into the fire academy and fight fire. I really think fire should be separated from ems across the board as some communities have done by creating "third services" (police/fire/ems). Fire fighters do an important job, but they all fail to realize that EMS is 95% of that job and fighting fire is 5%. We need EMTs and medics who spend their time studying medicine, not how to ventilate an attic.....

I would like to have opinions on accelerated courses for someone who already has some background. I have taken all the pre-med and science courses to get my Biology BS (biochem, anatomy, physiology, etc) and have been a CNA for nearly a year, in addition to taking Combat Life Saving courses while in the military. Would an accelerated (2 week, or hybrid online plus 1 week hands on) program be a reasonable way to plus up my certifications so that I can switch from being a CNA to being an EMT? I've gotten enough bedside manner and patient care from being a CNA physical therapy rehab aide that I want to move on to a more medical application rather than caregiving. My ultimate goal is to complete enough hand on hours to be eligible for PA School - some expect an may as 4000 hands on hours providing care.