Honest Opinions/Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PowerT10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am posting here because I thought I could find folks that could steer me in the right direction.

I graduated from undergrad with a Business degree and since have been doing sales for 2 years. Before I was a Business degree I was a Biology major (Pre-Med/Pre PT), and loved it.

Problem is I had a medical condition one semester and my grades suffered because of that. I was advised by an advisor at school that since I had that one bad semester (medical reasons/or not) that there was absolutely 0 chance that I would get in any med school/PT school etc.

So being the kid that I was I listened, and changed my major to Business. Ever since that point, I have wanted to go back to school and somehow get in the medical field, either PT/Pharm, or something. I honestly feel like I quit pursuing something that I loved, and I wanna go back and finish what I started.

Tough thing is, I have a great job, I am married, and it would be tough for me to go back.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? I am really leaning to PT. Any help would be much appreciated. Oh I also had to move to Nashville for my job, and it looks like I could go to TSU rather cheap to get my pre-reqs and get my DPT. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Advisors who haven't been through the process aren't that useful, imo. In my experience, often when people start to discourage you about a given course in your life, that's often the path you should pursue. Many of my classmates in PT school were married and even held jobs during school. PT school is intense, but the three years goes by very quickly. My situation is that I decided to go back to medical school and I am married, had a child at the start of my third year, brought in a considerable amount of outside debt, and have been pursuing orthopedic surgery (not to pat myself on the back, but is considered one of the hardest residencies to obtain), and through the Grace of God, have about realized my dream...I graduate this May. I'm not saying it will be easy for you and your life will be put on hold while you get through school...It will be worth it in the end if you find satisfaction and passion about your work, even though it means some short term sacrifice. The only suggestion is that you find a school that will not put you in extraordinary amount of loan debt because PT has not figured a way to reimburse to compensate for the additional education. It used to be a great gig with the bachelors because you make good money with undergrad loans. Now you take out almost med school sized loans and don't make med school sized money (except primary care, but that's another story). As for your grades, I would just throw your hat into the ring and see who bites...explain any deficiencies in your transcripts when you have to cross that bridge. Apologize for any rambling, and good luck!

I don't think one bad semester will kill your chances of being admitted to a PT program. Follow your heart. I also think that you could benefit from talking with a PT school adviser from one of the schools you are interested in applying to. These advisors should be knowledgeable about the PT program admissions requirements as well as the PT field in general, they should be able to give you some insight.

Shoot for the stars, that way even if you come up short, you'll still be in the clouds!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I am posting here because I thought I could find folks that could steer me in the right direction.

I graduated from undergrad with a Business degree and since have been doing sales for 2 years. Before I was a Business degree I was a Biology major (Pre-Med/Pre PT), and loved it.

Problem is I had a medical condition one semester and my grades suffered because of that. I was advised by an advisor at school that since I had that one bad semester (medical reasons/or not) that there was absolutely 0 chance that I would get in any med school/PT school etc.

So being the kid that I was I listened, and changed my major to Business. Ever since that point, I have wanted to go back to school and somehow get in the medical field, either PT/Pharm, or something. I honestly feel like I quit pursuing something that I loved, and I wanna go back and finish what I started.

Tough thing is, I have a great job, I am married, and it would be tough for me to go back.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? I am really leaning to PT. Any help would be much appreciated. Oh I also had to move to Nashville for my job, and it looks like I could go to TSU rather cheap to get my pre-reqs and get my DPT. :)

I think you should definitely do what you love. I too graduated with a business degree and worked for 2 years in the business field. After realizing that Business was not the place i wanted to be, i always wanted to do PT but was hesitate because of the fear of the science classes. But i thought to myself that i didn't want to live my life with the "what if" factor. so i decided to go back to school and now in the process of applying to schools already. it's a lot of work but nothing is impossible. one "bad" semester shouldn't affect your chances as long as you had over a 3.0 gpa overall and PT science prerequisites are above a 3.0. If you have a good supporting group around you and you are driven as well and getting good grades, you should be fine. i would definitely try to speak to an PT admissions adviser as well to ask them what they see if they saw your application . Good luck!

I understand a lot of where you are coming from. I'm married and left a very good career in corporate accounting this spring to pursue PT. Even though the money was good and would only get better with a promotion looming, I hated my job, the hours and the lifestyle. I assume when you say you have a great job that you don't love your job? Assuming that is the case and you really have a passion for PT I wouldn't let the one bad semester or a career you aren't passionate about hold you back.

However, I would think twice about TSU (https://www.fsbpt.org/ForCandidates...x.asp?ExamLevel=PT&PublishYear=2010&label=692) because of their NPTE pass rates. I looked into applying there as well. I would consider Belmont, although their tuition is a pricey. Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide!

I understand a lot of where you are coming from. I'm married and left a very good career in corporate accounting this spring to pursue PT. Even though the money was good and would only get better with a promotion looming, I hated my job, the hours and the lifestyle. I assume when you say you have a great job that you don't love your job? Assuming that is the case and you really have a passion for PT I wouldn't let the one bad semester or a career you aren't passionate about hold you back.

However, I would think twice about TSU (https://www.fsbpt.org/ForCandidates...x.asp?ExamLevel=PT&PublishYear=2010&label=692) because of their NPTE pass rates. I looked into applying there as well. I would consider Belmont, although their tuition is a pricey. Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide!
thanks everyone, Keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Where did everyone work while you all were taking the pre-reqs? I was thinking I could stay at my current position, but that doesnt look like it can happen..

yeah honestly the reason i was looking at TSU was the price, not that expensive.

Belmont is crazy with their tuition, where did you attend?

Yeah man, if you have a "good job" but you hate it, would you rather pursue something you like/love doing. I have a good job but I hate it. I'm applying again for the second time because I like what the job entails.

With that being said, even if you had one bad semester, your grades still probably look better than mine (3.02 overall; it was a 2.97) and Im still applying to a program hoping one of them will give me a chance.

I didn't work at all when i was taking the pre-reqs. i had enough saved for now and i'll probably end up going back to my parents place. i'm still young so it doesn't bother me. a good friend told me that if i was going to make this career change, i would need to go all out and do whatever it takes 100% and stop thinking about what i have now but what i want in the future

thanks everyone, Keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Where did everyone work while you all were taking the pre-reqs? I was thinking I could stay at my current position, but that doesnt look like it can happen..

yeah honestly the reason i was looking at TSU was the price, not that expensive.

Belmont is crazy with their tuition, where did you attend?