Honestly Running Out of Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you're not opposed to working from home, these are all legit jobs paying $13.50-$15/hr, starting. FYI - The second two are independent contractor gigs and ETS won't have work available until September.

http://etscrs.submit4jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=85332.viewjobs&CID=85332&notes_id=1

https://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/jobs/list;jsessionid=C4621E15D6FBE3E0D5EE429B05B8FB48

https://erec.appen.com/sap/bc/webdy...0eXBlPUVYVA==&sap-client=300&sap-language=EN#

Members don't see this ad.

If you know anything about golf, and have country clubs near you, see if you can pick up a caddying job. My club offers $60 minimum per bag and $30 minimum per putter. A good day can reel in $300 (two loops of carrying two bags). Two weeks ago I made $800 in 4 days.

And I'd contribute to your GoFundMe, btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If you know anything about golf, and have country clubs near you, see if you can pick up a caddying job. My club offers $60 minimum per bag and $30 minimum per putter. A good day can reel in $300 (two loops of carrying two bags). Two weeks ago I made $800 in 4 days.

And I'd contribute to your GoFundMe, btw.
Plus there's a good chance that someone will either A) be a doctor and let you shadow or B) will get injured and give you essay fodder.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not opposed to working from home, these are all legit jobs paying $13.50-$15/hr, starting. FYI - The second two are independent contractor gigs and ETS won't have work available until September.

http://etscrs.submit4jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=85332.viewjobs&CID=85332&notes_id=1

https://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/jobs/list;jsessionid=C4621E15D6FBE3E0D5EE429B05B8FB48

https://erec.appen.com/sap/bc/webdy...0eXBlPUVYVA==&sap-client=300&sap-language=EN#

Are you sure about ETS? I just got hired on a couple weeks ago and completed paid training last week. SAT grading

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Are you sure about ETS? I just got hired on a couple weeks ago and completed paid training last week. SAT grading

Have you been able to sign up for hours other than for training? I've been grading for a few years now and I've rarely seen summer work for the rSAT. I guess I should log in and check.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Perhaps thats what they're waiting on? As soon as I finished the training it said it would take up to a week or so to get to where I could take take shifts. Not sure why they'd hire me and train me just to start working 3 months later but it could be. My wife is scheduled for Texas middle school or high school test grading in July. This is still a good opportunity for someone during school if you need to pick up some 4 or 8 HR shifts . I just checked the availability page though and see tons of stuff so I submitted for about 26 hours

Last edited:
Private tutors/MCAT tutors get paid a lot in affluent areas. I know people who pay $60-70/hour for private tutoring. You can easily save up lots of money if u are a tutor there and live frugally.

Sell sperm
I was going to recommend that as well. Great way to make $300 per donation. However, the donor requirements are unrealistic for most people: 5'11 height requirement, normal weight, no diseases in the last two family generations, and no substances use. Additionally, you have to consider the moral dilemma of siring children that you will never know.

Also you don't need to have double eagles to make money on eBay. I started my own store a few years ago on eBay, which has been keeping me afloat in between jobs. Learn the trends and what is in demand and then go to your local flee markets and second hand stores to find old clothing and jewelry. Vintage items are in style and most people don't know the value of the things they are selling for cheap. I found an old Fendi handbag that I bought for $8. I fixed the zipper, cleaned the leather, and resold it for $150. Will you make a fortune? Probably not, but enough to pay for the secondaries and to help you with the cost of living.

This woman makes 25 million a year doing what I described above.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ople-3-000-worth-items-just-lying-around.html

Educational: Tutor.com, wyzant, college tutoring contract, kaplan, join TFA/americorps

Resturants: All fast food joints (no one has evertold me I was overqualified... And I had a MS in chemE, they just assume I will learn fast and it was temporary).

Stranger jobs: babysitting, dog/pet sitting, walkers, i have bought grovery for elder couples (obv they pay for items and service), doing nails (or whatever you have talent in), raking leaves, mowing grass

A peny saved is a penny earned: Cut down your living cost. At my poorest, I averaged 400$ a month. 200 for rent (9 people per 2 bedroom apartment - or hell couch hop if you need to, or live in your car - which I will be doing this upcoming rotation).

Reactions: 3 users
Seriously this is like the third or fourth time you've posted the same thing over again.

You haven't gone through three cycles. You've gone through like, at best, one half assed cycle.

Don't apply this year, don't apply next year. You're so focused on that expiring MCAT score. You beasted the test once and you can do it again.

Take 2-5 years. Get off SDN. Get your life in order. Then come back and do it right. Don't care what you do in the meantime...Starbucks is fine if you can pile some money away while doing it.

Don't think about applying again until you have the funds to apply broadly, attend as many interviews as you can, and your credit score is improved. Another half assed cycle does you no good.

I'm not saying it will be easy. But you've got to do something different or we will be seeing the next iteration of the same thread in 3-6 months

Reactions: 28 users
Presumably you have a degree in something. I suggest using it. Put the past in the past and move on as best you can.
20 years ago biology majors could get research jobs starting in the high 30s in industry. Go work somewhere for a year or two, live very frugally, retake the MCAT and really apply to MD and DO schools. Look into some of the side jobs listed above as well to augment your income. If you have to move, move. It sounds like you're at a dead end and it's time for you to focus on yourself and move on, before it's too late.
It will be worth it.
The question about if you will qualify for loans needs to be answered now as well, before you waste any more time.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 7 users
Spinach, please tattoo this on your forehead.

Seriously this is like the third or fourth time you've posted the same thing over again.

You haven't gone through three cycles. You've gone through like, at best, one half assed cycle.

Don't apply this year, don't apply next year. You're so focused on that expiring MCAT score. You beasted the test once and you can do it again.

Take 2-5 years. Get off SDN. Get your life in order. Then come back and do it right. Don't care what you do in the meantime...Starbucks is fine if you can pile some money away while doing it.

Don't think about applying again until you have the funds to apply broadly, attend as many interviews as you can, and your credit score is improved. Another half assed cycle does you no good.

I'm not saying it will be easy. But you've got to do something different or we will be seeing the next iteration of the same thread in 3-6 months

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With your application cycle history, it begs the question of whether or not you even WANT to go to medical school.

Do you think that things are going to become any easier/more affordable once you are literally living off of borrowed money? Also, remember that the payback on that borrowed money is contingent upon your successful completion of your selected program. With your current level of dedication to this endeavor, I worry that this may only spiral you even further into debt.

Maybe it's time for some soul searching.

Another relative offered to pay as soon as she sold her old house, if I helped her fix it up. I spent too many hours replacing insulation and patching drywall before she broke the news that she owed so much on the house that she would have to short-sale it, thus, I would get nothing.

After reading this, I concluded you must subconciously not want to go to medical school or something else is going on, since how does one not be able to find a job yet able to spend so long on carpentry work?

3rd year rotation... I work ~30 hrs/week on top of my rotations. During surgery I did about ~10 hrs/week. hard as ****... But do-able.

For dinner today - i picked out the bad spinach and ate the rest of my manager special spinach I bought Monday - thought of you lol.

I believe in you spinach - you have the ability to be a good doc, just less woe me and more action! You got this! Regardless if you can apply this cycle or retake it and do t again!

OP is just making this thread so he can find the sympathetic people and PM them to donate to his GFM. Did so twice to me before I saw the light.

Seems like everything's pretty much been covered, but I would like to emphasize how problematic your credit history is. Even if you had gotten into medical school, you wouldn't be able to get Grad Plus loans.

Imagine how much of a heartbreak that would've been to actually get accepted and then get all your hopes and dreams crushed when you weren't able to scrape together the financing for tuition.

Bottom line is: you're either going to need a heady scholarship or spend years building a passable credit history.

Reactions: 1 users
OP is just making this thread so he can find the sympathetic people and PM them to donate to his GFM. Did so twice to me before I saw the light.
I removed the link to the GFM account last week; there is not rule against mentioning it in a thread. However, if you are concerned that this is a scam, please use the report function and detail your concerns there so that staff may evaluate.

Reactions: 1 user
If people don't want to donate to Spinach's gofundme, then fine. But reporting him for simply mentioning it (which is not against the rules) is excessive and honestly kind of mean. We're all doctors, future doctors, or wannabe future doctors. The struggle he's facing is significant and whether we think he's approaching it in the "right" way or not, a little empathy would be nice.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm sorry, but I, like others, find it extremely difficult to comprehend the fact that you've been unable to find a
steady job for the past three years.
Unless you are living in an area akin to Lost Springs, Wyoming, there must have been some entry level job available. The
"overqualified" spiel that you've been getting for rejections is, in all likelihood, nicespeak for they don't want you
for the job because they don't want you. Sorry, but that's just the truth with rejections for candidates who surpass the
threshold caliber set for the position.
Many premeds who do gap years work jobs for which they are severely overqualified. As did I. The reality is that your
lack of success in the work field has much less to do with your educational pedigree and much more to do with the the rigor
of the search (or lack thereof) and/or the interview.
The latter is going to have be addressed before med school interviews anyway, so my advice is to be realistic
about the job situation in a way that does not carry the woe is me, the area I live in sucks tune, and sort out your finances independently.
Stop turning to relatives for support. Relatives have their own lives and families to support. You will never be a priority in their lives.
I know you're in a tough, tough situation, and I sincerely wish you the best, but come on, Spinach. It's time to be a bit
more clearsighted.

I just saw on YouTube that some pan handlers can make 40+$/ hr

I just saw on YouTube that some pan handlers can make 40+$/ hr
I saw a youtube video of a guy in NYC that supposedly clears 6 figures.

Remember guys, when it comes to restaurant oriented jobs don't recommend him waiter/fry-cook positions, only managerial roles.

If people don't want to donate to Spinach's gofundme, then fine. But reporting him for simply mentioning it (which is not against the rules) is excessive and honestly kind of mean. We're all doctors, future doctors, or wannabe future doctors. The struggle he's facing is significant and whether we think he's approaching it in the "right" way or not, a little empathy would be nice.
NP and you're free to donate, but I'm just saying that is probably why he posted this thread again.

NP and you're free to donate, but I'm just saying that is probably why he posted this thread again.

I actually think you are being very helpful and considerate by mentioning this. It would, also I think, be important to know if your two separate times of helping in this way, was in two separate cycles, or when. The context would definitely shed light on whether its predatory behavior.

There is nothing more pathetic than asking random people on the internet for money.

Seriously, why should anybody feel the need to donate money to someone that can't get a normal job like everyone else? Who cares if this person "helped the SDN community" in some fashion. Just because someone gave out MCAT advice (or whatever) doesn't mean anyone needs to give them money.

It also feels very disingenuous to post a thread under the guise of asking for advice, then privately solicit for donations, nullifying the use of the advice solicited. All the suggestions given in this thread have also been given in at least 3 threads prior--so what is the purpose? At best, a way to garner more sympathy and and attention, and at worst, a way get more people to donate who haven't seen the previous ones that have uniformly devolved into questions that paint OP in an unflattering light.

Reactions: 6 users
It also feels very disingenuous to post a thread under the guise of asking for advice, then privately solicit for donations, nullifying the use of the advice solicited. All the suggestions given in this thread have also been given in at least 3 threads prior--so what is the purpose? At best, a way to garner more sympathy and and attention, and at worst, a way get more people to donate who haven't seen the previous ones that have uniformly devolved into questions that paint OP in an unflattering light.
I couldn't agree more. As was mentioned in one of the previous threads, we can't let this sort of solicitation become a common practice on this site.

Actually, I think the worst case is OP completely fabricated everything in order to run a scam via private messages for several years. Returns with a new twist to the story, needs more help, and so goes the cycle. Certainly seen the type before. From the beginning, the first cycle, the story has been questionable. And from the beginning, the first cycle, OP has ignored all advice and suggestions. He hasn't even attempted to discuss some of the comments/questions mentioned in the thread, meant to help him, but he is desperate for advice, and at his end point? Hmmm

Actually, I think the worst case is OP completely fabricated everything in order to run a scam via private messages for several years. Returns with a new twist to the story, needs more help, and so goes the cycle. Certainly seen the type before. From the beginning, the first cycle, the story has been questionable. And from the beginning, the first cycle, OP has ignored all advice and suggestions. He hasn't even attempted to discuss some of the comments/questions mentioned in the thread, meant to help him, but he is desperate for advice, and at his end point? Hmmm

Honestly he seemed pretty genuine, but he told me he's trying to "find a source to fund his cycle for one last time" for months. Trying to pull at the heart strings. -_- Instead of finding one quick source why not work? :/

Reactions: 1 users
Okay, in spinachdip's defense...IIRC...he did NOT just decide to start up a Go Fund Me account to post it in here asking for money. He did it last year ONLY after several posters suggested it to him and were offering money to help his application cycle. I may be wrong in that recollection, but I don't think so.

I also seem to recall he lives out in the sticks where there simply aren't a lot of jobs.

BUT...I will agree he needs to just pick himself up by his bootstraps, quit relying on friends and family, quit obsessing about his expiring 40MCAT, quit planning on applying in this next cycle or 2, move somewhere else if necessary, find a job, get on his feet, establish some credit, eventually re-take the MCAT and THEN put everything into a good solid application cycle. He may honestly be a good 4-5 years away from that. I wish him nothing but the best of luck...but he has to find it within himself to make this dream happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Okay, in spinachdip's defense...IIRC...he did NOT just decide to start up a Go Fund Me account to post it in here asking for money. He did it last year ONLY after several posters suggested it to him and were offering money to help his application cycle. I maybe wrong in that recollection, but I don't think so.

I also seem to recall he lives out in the sticks where there simply aren't a lot of jobs.

BUT...I will agree he needs to just pick himself up by his bootstraps, quit relying on friends and family, quit obsessing about his expiring 40MCAT, quit planning on applying in this next cycle or 2, move somewhere else if necessary, find a job, get on his feet, establish some credit, eventually re-take the MCAT and THEN put everything into a good solid application cycle. He may honestly be a good 4-5 years away from that. I wish him nothing but the best of luck...but he has to find it within himself to make this dream happen.
mmm..first he sent me his paypal for anonymity so adcoms/future employers wouldn't see

mmm..first he sent me his paypal for anonymity so adcoms/future employers wouldn't see

I was just going to say, the date of the go fund me account really is irrelevant as it's not the only way to solicit money. And clearly it wasn't.

Agreed, something is off. Even if he has intentions of using the donated funds for applying, I think it's blatantly clear that dude is pretty bad with money. I acknowledge Spinach's "legacy" here, but I highly doubt these donations have gone strictly to med school apps. This whole situation is just weird. Makes me question everything including the 40 MCAT.

@WhittyPsyche @WalSlave It's not surprising considering his lack of flexibility, despite having a pressing need for cash. An interest in cerebral jobs that pertain to his academic side which is why he is only looking for a managerial role at a starting job. This type of person is relatively common and most of us have been in some way or form like him. If not, then we know someone who he resembles.

Also, he's...or she's using many different names. Could just mean SD is being anonymous but still suspicious.

Also, he's...or she's using many different names. Could just mean SD is being anonymous but still suspicious.

This just sounds worse and worse as it unfolds.
Yet, I'm not slightly surprised, I've suspected as much.

You've done three Hail Mary style applications so far, and none of them worked out for you. You're obviously smart, but without some sort of major improvement in your application, I'm not sure why a fourth Hail Mary would have any more chance of success.

If you got a 40 once, you can get a similarly high score again. Spend a few years getting a real job-- which leads to income to improve your situation and to fund a future application cycle-- and improving whatever is missing from your application. Money doesn't solve all problems, but it definitely would solve a lot of yours.

I guess I just don't know why FAP isn't an option. Doesn't that allow you to apply to 14 schools?

I took 18 credits per semester my senior year and worked 40hr/wk at Old Navy making $12 an hour. Was it the most mentally stimulating work? No. But it did teach me a lot, and I think jobs like that teach us all to stay humble. You don't *have* to be a manager.

I really hope it works out for you man.

I think you may be picking the wrong schools to apply to. Applying this cycle to only DO might get you rejected as well, since some schools will wonder why you want to go there with such a high MCAT score

I really hope it works out for you man.

I think you may be picking the wrong schools to apply to. Applying this cycle to only DO might get you rejected as well, since some schools will wonder why you want to go there with such a high MCAT score
I have recently discovered that DO schools will interview folks with very high MCAT scores. Apparently the number of applicants they get in this category is not so excessive that they have to prioritize lower scores. Who knew?

Well, colleague, I've been saying this for some time. I think my record for an interview was a 40. Two people, in fact. Both of them got rejected, BTW!

I have recently discovered that DO schools will interview folks with very high MCAT scores. Apparently the number of applicants they get in this category is not so excessive that they have to prioritize lower scores. Who knew?

Well, colleague, I've been saying this for some time. I think my record for an interview was a 40. Two people, in fact. Both of them got rejected, BTW!
I know, I know. I'm such a doubting Thomas.
We could never do this where I work, though. We interview a boatload of folks with these scores but there is no way we could interview them all. There are just too many...

You are not ''honestly running out of options''. There's a great option left that you haven't tried yet:

Get. A. Job.

Support yourself. Like adults do.

When I was 18, I had zilch to my name. I found a free bike on Craigslist and rode it to and from a minimum wage job at the mall every day. I later used the same bike to ride to and from babysitting. It sucked. At times, it was embarrassing. It got my bills paid. You're not the only one who has been dealt a hard hand, so quit playing the victim and start taking care of yourself instead of relying on others to do it.

Reactions: 14 users