Honors Chemistry Trouble!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roguestudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,
I just completed my first semester of college. So far, my grades have been all A's (I still have to receive a grade from Psych and Chem. While I am not concerned about Psych, I am REALLY worried about my chem class. At my college, the "first" course in the chemistry sequence is offered either in the regular or honors version (honors consisting of thirtyish students allowed by invitation based on test scores). I had both options and chose the honors version (even though I struggle with both chem AND math, a very stupid decision). However, the course has been extremely difficult and I bombed the final. I still am waiting for my grade but am worried that at this point I may get a C, C+, not even a B minus.

The difference between the regular and honors version is huge. The regular chem class for example, has practice exams uploaded to help with student review, while the honors class has weekly to biweekly one to one and a half hour research seminars that highlight current work done by chemistry faculty. I like to think I would have done well in the regular chemistry sections, given how I was a really good student in high school, but at this point, I really don't know anymore.

If I were to get a C, firstly, should I retake the course? And if so, would it be okay to just take the non-honors counterpart instead (this class was traumatizing) to show chemistry competency? Will medical schools be more lenient, seeing that the C grade is an honors class?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN,
I just completed my first semester of college. So far, my grades have been all A's (I still have to receive a grade from Psych and Chem. While I am not concerned about Psych, I am REALLY worried about my chem class. At my college, the "first" course in the chemistry sequence is offered either in the regular or honors version (honors consisting of thirtyish students allowed by invitation based on test scores). I had both options and chose the honors version (even though I struggle with both chem AND math, a very stupid decision). However, the course has been extremely difficult and I bombed the final. I still am waiting for my grade but am worried that at this point I may get a C, C+, not even a B minus.

The difference between the regular and honors version is huge. The regular chem class for example, has practice exams uploaded to help with student review, while the honors class has weekly to biweekly one to one and a half hour research seminars that highlight current work done by chemistry faculty. I like to think I would have done well in the regular chemistry sections, given how I was a really good student in high school, but at this point, I really don't know anymore.

If I were to get a C, firstly, should I retake the course? And if so, would it be okay to just take the non-honors counterpart instead (this class was traumatizing) to show chemistry competency? Will medical schools be more lenient, seeing that the C grade is an honors class?

Sorry! I accidentally replied to myself. I am new to SDN and am still trying to figure things out.

Members don't see this ad :)
They will not be more lenient and you should not retake. Just attempt to do better in the future.

I think better grades without an "Honors Degree" is better than bad grades with one.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in the honors college at my institution and I NEVER take any honors chemistry courses. At my school the honors chemistry professor is notorious for ruining the GPA's of honors students. Always take caution when taking honors courses in the hard sciences. Find out who the professor is and whether or not the professor is a good instructor. If you have to take honors courses to get that honors degree take honors courses in humanities. They are much easier.

I did ask around prior to taking the class, but got a biased answer from a very talented chem student who happened to really like chem and the chem class I took this past semester. Regardless, I have learned my lesson and will be taking REGULAR orgo next semester, and I will start studying in a few days to make sure this nonsense doesn't happen again. Thanks for the info guys!

Last edited:
Miraculously I got a B plus! Still, I have learned my lesson! Thanks again SDN!

Reactions: 3 users